Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Always seems to be something wrong!

I'm taking Riley to the doctors AGAIN on monday. We seem to live there! There just always seems to be something wrong with him and I just want a happy, healthy baby!

A couple weeks ago I was there every day in one week for the gp to put some silver nitrate on his bellybutton as he's got a granuloma (a little ball of skin like a cyst) which he's had for months but the first gp I saw mis-diagnosed it for an infection so I had been wasting time applying cream to it. Anyway this was the week before last and its still there so I'm gonna have to take him back and don't know what they'll do.

He's also got a pimply rash on his stomach which I noticed yesterday, hopefully its just heat rash and will go away before monday, the blotchiness fades sometimes but the pimply bits are still there.

And finally I'm going to ask for a scan or some sort of check of his stomach. He cries in pain a lot with tummy ache and its horrible to watch, even though I'm getting used to it now. He's on nutramigen and infant gaviscon which I thought made things better but I don't know if they actually have, I think I may just be getting more used to dealing with his crying outbursts. I wasn't sure at first if he was just a baby that cried a lot, but my mum had 3 kids and she said that none of us cried as much as he did and you can tell he's in pain sometimes, maybe she's just lucky? I want more kids eventually but oh has been totally put off the idea because of how Riley can be, but I really don't think other babies will be as hard work as what he is. I was beginning to get used to his constant crying but the other day a friends mum was holding him and she's a palm reader and can feel with things with her hands and could tell that he was getting tummy ache and said that he has some kind of blockage in his left side but he will be ok. I'm gonna tell the gp this, as weird as I may sound!

Sorry for babbling on! x

Replies

• Options
    Oh hun, i really feel for you. Definatly go back and say you want more investigating done-babies cry for a reason, especailly when they get to this age. Max used to cry lots but hardly does at all now, i think Riley must be in pain and they should do more to help you all.

I know how you feel about being reluctant to have more, well, your husband anyway. Max's sleeping is so bad that ive often thought that i couldn't go through all this again but things will get better and they will for you too. It's thoughts that i have when im so exhausted i can't see straight let alone think straight!!

Just remeber that you're doing such a fab job, Riley is SO lucky to have a mum who cares so much. His crying is no reflection on you and you'll get through it. He'll soon be a happy, smiling bubbly baby.

The rash could be a touch of ezcema. Max is head to toe in it-it's like tiny pin pricks under the skin that flare up red (especially in the heat) then fade. Try not using any products on him for a few days-just warm water, don't even use wetwipes-see if it helps. The doctor should give you some cream even if it's just a rash, just to take the heat out.

Big hugs and stay strong-you've got a beautiful baby xx
  • Options
    you poor thing...hugs!

i felt the same especially in the beginning but i do think it will get better as my lo cried constantly but is now happy and contented and you do right going to the drs. the rash as pixibob said could be eczema but also it could be a thing called millia. my little girl has had this on/off since few weeks old and i thought something bad was up but they said it was that and it gets worse when its too hot! apparantly it clears on its own eventually and can take months to clear but my little girl has it on.off. she has terrible cradle cap and most products were rubbish so dr gave her diprobase cream which worked at first but its flared up again! also dr said to try this on dry patches on her skin and it helps. unfortunately think my lo has really sensitive skin like her dad!

hope things get better soon! xxx
  • Options
    Oh poor you. Just wanted to say my first Angelo had lot's of tummy troubles and seemed to be in a lot of pain. It really was an awful time and the hardest thing is that it's often so hard to pinpoint exactly what's wrong. The suspects were 'colic', reflux & cows milk protein intolerance (for which I avoided dairy for 3 months..boo!). Really wanted to say that it will get better & will be a distant memory. We just had to ride it out but by nine months he seemed absolutely fine & is now a brilliant sleeper. Don't let it put you off, Nina is soo easy compared to Angelo!! x.
  • Options
    It's awful when theres something wrong with them. It sounds like your really on the case and are doing everything a good mummy should. It's much better to fuss to much than to little where health is concerned.

gem xxx
  • Options
    Oh no poor u but I would def be pushing for further checks as gem-gem says its better to fuss too much...u know ur baby better than anyone, the dcc is only with them a few minutes and then they are usually smiley happy babies acting like theres nothing wrong!!
    Im sure he will settle soon and then all this extra stress will be forgotten xx
  • Options
    Thx for all your support. I took him to the gp today and he thinks the rash is eczema which makes sense as it supports the milk intollerance hence why he's on nutramigen. He did actually have a screaming fit in there and really went for it tears, arching his back and everything. The gp checked him over, his stomach, ears, throat, breathing, says everything is fine. He just thinks its all to do with the intollerance and gradually as he takes less milk he will get better. He told me to speak to HV as well and ask her about it as they know more. I've spoken to 3 difference HV's about this before and none of them helped, but I have a new one yet again so hopefully she'll be a bit more helpful.

I've been giving him one meal a day of pureed fruit/veg so going to up it to two so he doesn't have to have as much milk and hopefully things will get better as I continue weaning. I hope he grows out of it though, or I'm going to have to be really careful about what he eats as he gets older!

xxx
  • Options
    Thanks marnie. How's Emma at the minute? Is she still on the rantadine(sp)? Is she drinking more milk now?

I haven't tried any other milk since the nutramigen as all the rest have cows milk protein in and we thought that might be the cause of the intollerance. So god knows what else we can try! I'm just not gonna force the milk down him now like I did as I used to feed him to sleep with it to make sure he had enough.

Thanks I'll have to get some green veg in!
    He's been crying a lot today and for some reason since this morning every time he cries one eye and all around the eye goes red like a rash. I don't know whether its because he's tired as he woke at 5.30, well never opened his eyes just wriggling and moaning and I tried to settle him but as soon as I got him settled and put him back in his cot he woke again. Its so frustrating!

xxx
  • Options
    Ah bless him, he must be so uncomfortable-i know the ezcema really bothers Max. What did the gp prescibe for it?We're using cetraben and it does help, we have to put it on 6times a day which is rediculous but it really makes a difference xx
  • Options
    Ah bless him, he must be so uncomfortable-i know the ezcema really bothers Max. What did the gp prescibe for it?We're using cetraben and it does help, we have to put it on 6times a day which is rediculous but it really makes a difference xx
  • Options
    He prescribed Aqueous. 6 times a day is a bit much! The gp never told me how often to use it so I've just been putting it on twice a day, once in replacement for his massage cream. Its not done much yet but hopefully will do soon, I don't think it really bothers him it feels so horrible to touch as its just tiny little spots. x
  • Options
    Thanks I'll look out for some primrose oil.

Its strange how Riley is the same where he'll take only a few oz at a time in the day but at night sometimes he'll take 8oz in the lead upto bedtime.