Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

Aargh he won't go to sleep!

So, I'm having a real problem getting Zach to go to sleep in the evenings, in his bed, at a decent time. I

I've tried;

bedtime routine
warm bath and quiet time before bed
putting him down awake
putting him down half asleep
putting him down asleep
giving him his dummy
letting him fall asleep on me then putting him down - he wakes up everytime
I've lried keeping him awake during the day....

but nothing seems to work! I'm sure he's just playing me, my husband was off last night (he's a chef!) and he went down in his bed awake and went to sleep straight away, so why won't he do it for me? I started at 6 tonight and he's dozed a few times but is currently awake!

He will always go to sleep on his front but I daren't put him down like that. He was just asleep on my chest, but as soon as I put him down, he's awake again!

To make it worse, because he's tired he's really grizzly! Any suggestions?

I'm sure it's just a case of perserverance but if anyone has any other suggestions, greatly appreciated!

Cas and Zach - 6 weeks. X

Replies

• My lo is 8 weeks old and he is just starting to go to bed around 7 pm each night. sometimes he stirs a few times and i have to put dummy back in. But i have found that giving some infacol for the last couple of feeds and propping him up makes him more comfortable. Also, i have started swaddling him which he hated at first but he has now got used to it and it seems to be settling him. Maybe try this? hope it helps em x
  • Ruby has a bath at 7 and then he last feed in the dark, whilst still awake i swaddler her and cuddle her to sleep if she is restless then put her down, if you wrap the quite tight they feel like they are still being held she now sleps through til 5-6 am i alsodont eallyspeak to her at this last feed, she is quite restless between 4-7 and the bath settles her but have decided her being awake in the early evening helps her go to bed of a night even if it makes the rest of my routine hard i.e cooking dinner doing homework etc

Mari
  • ok, so the last couple of nights I have;

started him with a warm bath,
    popped a hot water bottle in his bed to warm,
    put his towel and pjs on the radiator to warm,
    given him a nice massage after his bath,
    then breastfed him
    finally as he's usually has a feed at 6, he's not really hungry but suckling for comfort, consequently he falls asleep fairly soon. I then transfer him to his nice warm crib.

So, I've tried it for 2 nights and I have to say it seems to be working so far. It's now 9 and I started getting him ready for bed at 7.30 but he's asleep! Yey! I tried doing it at 6 the other night and it didn't really work as I think it was too early for him so starting a bit later and will gradually bring it forward.

Last night he woke at 2.15 and 5.45 for feeds, not too bad. My only problem now is once he's awake at 6, he doesn't like going back to sleep, the only way I can get a bit more shut eye is to bring him into bed with us, which I don't like doing but for a bit more sleep......!

Cas. X
  • Glad things are working!! babies can be so fussy!!!x