Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

anxious when out

Does anyone feel on edge when they're out and about? Ive always got one eye on the clock counting down the 2 hours until the next feed and when he starts grizzling in his pram i can feel myself getting stressed. Today for example, i had to pop to the garden centre-he was fed, clean, burped so should have been ok but the second i got in he started to scream-i hate the looks people give you!

Im fine if hubbie's with me, it's when im on my own i don't like it-im hoping i get more confident as time goes on!xx

Replies

• im like that
    and as im a young mom i get the worst looks ever it like they think i cant look after him cause im young
    its mainly the older women
    an when they sit in the buggy zone on a bus an huff a tut when i get on with my buggy
    ITS A BUGGY ZONE NOT AN OLD PEOPLE ZONE THERES PLENTY OF SEATS ON THE BUS

lol im just moanin now haha
    xxx
    Danielle and Bradley
    6weeks today
  • Me too!!! I hate it when i am on my own and my baby cries. His cry is SOOOO loud compared to others. I was asked the other day not to get in the same lift as another mum and baby in case I woke her precious one up!!! Have you also had people say 'oh sounds like they are hungry'!! So annoying when you know thats not their hunger cry!!
    xx
  • Ive had-'is he hungry?', er, no-if he was hungry i'd bloody feed him!! I just tell people he's 'overtired' doesn't sound like you've neglected them too much then or that you don't know why he's crying and you're a rubbish mum who can't comfort their baby!!lol!!

Danielle-what is it with old people?! They can be so rude, i love my nana to bits but she can be really obnoxious sometimes, my mum's standard reply is 'well, she is 93' xx
  • I feel very lucky, reading this. Peter tends to go to sleep almost as soon as we put him in the pram or the sling. Granted, he was awake when we went shopping this morning, but he didn't make a sound. The only times he has cried when we have been out and about was on Friday. We went to meet up with people from my antenatal class and the bus was late. He wanted food but of course I couldn't feed him on the bus. Luckily he sucked on my finger until we got to the restaurant where I could feed him, but it was horrible to sit there trying to soothe him initially.

No practical suggestions, really, except to let it all roll off you. As their mum, you know best what your lo wants/needs and to hell with everyone else!
  • I feel the same but I haven't really been out on my own yet with him. I'm always with my oh or my mum really so its not as bad!
    My oh really hates it. The first time we went to the supermarket he suddenly started crying and he was pushing him in the trolley. He started to get all agitated and wanted to walk out lol but I was saying he's fine he's not hungry or anything and he stopped after about 10 seconds!
    Babies cry all the time anyway but it is horrible when its our own.
    xxx
  • I worry about so much. I've met dan for lunch a couple of times but i won't go in shops by myself coz i worry about getting through doors and knocking things over. I haven't had any rude comments yet when Spencer cries coz everyone just says isn't he tiny.
    I was at the doctors last monday and he started crying because we had to wait an hour to see the doctor. I was soo embarrassed and i got all flustered, i just about managed to calm him but i felt so relieved when my mum met me in there.
    I also pack so much stuff and keep loads of spare things in the car. We went to norwich to visit my brother for the day and i took two change bags and a bag for the car.

gem gem
    x
  • Im glad it's not just me who feels like this!!

We went out for a meal last night with my family. i was so nervous before we went as weve never taken him out in the evening and he's sometimes very unsettled.

we got there and he was abit grizzly-i could feel myself getting hotter and hotter, by the time the starters arrived i had a right sweat on and was bright red!! he really started crying then so i took him to the change room, bless him, he had a huge dirty nappy, i stripped my top and shoes off, ran cold water over my wrists and fed him. the rest of the evening went really well-he sat quietly watching us but i was so glad to get home!!xx
  • I am the same when I go out with Xander, especially as I am exclusively breast feeding, and he is only 4 weeks (on thurs) so I still havent started to express milk as I want to leave that til he is at least 6 weeks. Finding places to feed him is an issue, and obviously feeding on the bus/train etc is a nono.
    Problem is he is a really hungry baby and also a bit (or a lot) of a comfort suckler, and sometimes as soon as I have put him down he is crying to be back on the breast!! Luckily the motion of the pram usually lulls him to sleep, but there have been a few times he has woken up and cried... I got so stressed, I just rushed to the til to pay, and left the shop with nothing I had gone for!

I am hoping this will get easier in a few weeks when I start to express, angiving a pre made bottle in public is obviously more convenient than breastfeeding.
  • Amelia is now 8 weeks old and it does get eaier, I have got more confident as a mum so thats the big difference. I was bf up till 6 weeks and it can be difficult as I did watch the clock for next feed time and think about where I needed to be , now we're ff and still need to find somewhere quiet to sit so she takes her milk properly.
    I must admit we don't go far on our own, if we need a big shop or pop to town OH or mum is usually with me - It is easier then.
    If people stare when she cries, I jusr smile at them - They then feel awkward not me!!!
    I found going out more and more help build on the confidence
    Good luck everyone
  • I've found the best thing ever is our freedom sling. Nina won't settle in the pushchair but is so content in the sling and will usually fall asleep quite quickly in it. Its horrible when they kick off in public but I try to remember that everybody elses babies/children will be doing it too. When I'm in a supermarket there's lot's of screaming going on in the background but I don't really notice it or any particular baby so try to think that no one will notice us either!

Lucretia, the sling is also really good for discreet bf too once you get the hang of it, just in case your interested it's a Murrons pouch from freedom slings.