Forum homeβ€Ί Archived Birth Clubsβ€Ί My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Update from me and Oliver!

Hi ladies,
I haven't been on here for ages! I do pop into baby now and again but rarely post and keep forgetting to come in here!

Anyway, my darling boy is almost one image I really can't quite believe it. It just seems to have whizzed by, I look at him and wonder where than tiny 4lb bundle went?!

So Oliver is slightly behind in his physical development but I'm not worried as I quite like him staying put! He does roll over and over when he can be bothered but no crawling and def no standing or walking! He is an absolute joy at the moment, he loves books and will sit for ages turning the pages, feeling the textures and randonly kissing the pages! He is really chatty and says Mum and Dad and sucks his lips to call the cat!

We have been through a REALLY rough time with his sleep that saw me on my knees with tiredness (combined with going back to work) and struggling to have a relationship with Hubby. But we are 1week in to the Rapid Return sleep technique and doing well! He has slept through 2 out of 7 nights and the nights he has woken he has self settled within 5mins! Amazing considering I was up every 2hrs for 30-60minutes each time before!

So, tell me what the other March-y's are doing?!

Replies

• Options
    what is the rapid return sleep technique?! it sounds good!!! xxxx
  • Options
    Welldone Oliver! Sounds like he's doing really well! It's crazy to think back to when they were born, they change so quickly!

Let us know how you get on with the raid return. Max is still waking twice in the night , when he wakes before 3am, he usually settles back but I have to feed him if he wakes after that time. I'm stopping bfing when he's 18months so were going to tackle it then-hopefully he'll be settled into nursery and he's also having a couple of minor ops in June so he'll have recovered from those then it'll be some tough love from mummy and daddy I'm afraid!

Apart from that, he's doing great. He's over the worst of his clingyness, is desparate to walk, understands more everyday-he can follow instructions like 'pass me....', 'put.... In .....', 'close the door', if you say 'where's the fish?' he'll look at the tank, his latest obsession is putting shoes on peoples feet and if you take your socks off he puts one ontop of each foot .

He's hit and miss with his food, some days he'll eat anything and everything, others he's very fussy and you really have to coaxs him-I've learnt not to stress about it though, I've a feeling he'll get worse as he becomes a toddler but I'm not turning it into a battle! Xx
  • Options
    Max sounds like he is doing really well too!

The rapid return technique is basically how it sounds, you put them down to sleep and leave the room. As soon as they cry you return to them, say goodnight and leave the room again. This is repeated until they have settled. So you never leave them to cry (although they will cry!) for any amount of time but you never stay in the room to put them to sleep.

If you want anymore tips or info on it let me know.
  • Options
    Ah, it sounds as if Oliver is doing really well! Glad to hear that you are having success with rapid return. Hope he works out the sleep thing soon, for all your sakes.

Peter is doing really, really well, although I have decided he is just going to do things his own way! He is still commando crawling most of the time, although he knows how to crawl properly and gets up on his hands and knees a lot. He can pull himself up onto his knees (which he loves doing) but has shown no interest in getting from there onto his feet. And he loves standing up when I prop him up against a piece of furniture - but no interest in cruising at all. Basically he is just lazy - he won't do anything unless he has to! image

Same thing with the speaking. He has only ever said 'Dada' and 'Iss' as comprehensible words (and has never said anything close to 'Mama' :\() but he has his own little language that he uses all the time. A real original, that's my son. :roll: The one thing that he is really good at is feeding himself, either with his fingers or his spoon, and he drinks beautifully from his cup so we are now trying to wean him from bottle to cup for his bedtime milk.

He loves putting things in and taking them out (he puts his bricks away beautifully) and stacking his rings on their spindle. He also loves books, mainly pulling them off the shelf, to be fair, but he will then turn the pages for minutes at a time.

I can't believe that he will be a year old in less than two weeks' time. We just bought his first pair of proper shoes today and he is having his first haircut next Saturday. I can't believe the time has gone so fast - it feels like just yesterday he was waiting to be born!
  • Options
    What a clever boy Peter is!

What date is his birthday?
  • Options
    1st of March. They are all such clever babies, aren't they?
  • Options
    Hi. New to the site and thought I'd join in.

My son is also an Oliver image. He is growing so fast, its unbelievable. I miss how small he was, In fact I found the outit he wore home from the hospital the other day and when I held it against him the feet barely even skimmed his knees!!

He started crawling at 7 months and has been able to pull himself to standing for quite a while. Although he still doesnt have the balance to stand unaided for more than a few seconds. He can walk brilliantly with a push along walker, and managed to take 3 steps completely unaided a few days back! I cried I was so happy.

Ollie can say quite a few words now, (mama, dada, baba, nana, bampa, No! and this morning he came out with Tig (he loves Tigger). Though he can say all of these words he still sticks to just repeating Dada over again 90% of the time.

Feeding is Ollie's main issue. He is very hit and miss. He never really took to proper food when he was younger so he's been on baby food mostly until now. We're now trying to get him to eat more proper foods. He likes bread and today he ate most of a pasty. But I struggle to get proper meals down him. He generally just spits them out and so I end up reverting and giving him a baby jar again just to make sure hes eating...else he'll only have milk all day. He also is not a fan of feeding himself. Finger foods he prefers you to hold while he chews on them. While if he trys jar foods he just plays with it.

He hasn't established much of a night time routine either. I have cut him down to just one nap in the day but he still often wont go down to sleep until 12am!! And I have to cuddle him to sleep in my bed every night and then put him into the cot once hes in a deep sleep. He used to sleep so well, going down at around 9pm and then sleeping through most nights until around 7am. Then he got a nasty cold and a ear infection all together and his sleep pattern never recovered.

When are all of your little ones birthdays?? and what are you doing to celebrate it? My sons is on March 12th, I can't wait. x
  • Options
    Glad to hear that Oliver's doing so well and I hope you've been getting some more sleep?! Every now and then Riley will go through a period of night wakings, I think when his teeth are hurting him.

As you know Riley is also a little behind with his physical development. So no crawling, although he has been attempting to which normally ends up with him either in a kind of half splits position and unable to get out of it, or with him flat on his face! He does love his walker though and I think it's one of the best things we've bought as I can be doing bits and bobs in the kitchen and stuff and he's whizzing around after the dog and trying to get into everything!

Dadda is his favourite word, and much to my disappointment he's just started to say nana! I don't think he knows who dadda and nana are, he just likes the words! I keep saying mama to him but there's not been any luck with that yet!

His birthday is just under 6 weeks with him being born at the very end of march think we're going to take him to a local play park/farm type thing the weekend after but not sure what to do on his actual birthday yet.
    What is everyone else doing? x