Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

So...

We had something of a battle putting Peter to bed last night. He drank 5 oz of EBM and cried. I cuddled him and tried to feed him some more, but he was having none of it, so I left him to see if he would grumble himself to sleep but he got himself completely worked up again. So my husband cuddled him and got him to take the last 2 ounces in the bottle and thought he had got him down but 10 minutes later he was wailing again. So I went up and fed him off both sides and put him down half awake. He FINALLY went to sleep about 8:15, an hour later than normal.

So we thought we were in for a night of it. He usually doesn't sleep well when he gets so worked up. 10:30 rolled around and he was still asleep so we went to bed, hoping he wouldn't wake up earlier than his normal midnight. The next thing I know, it is 3:30, I am wide awake and there still isn't a peep from him! I was so unnerved that I had to get up to go and check that he was okay. He was sound asleep and snoring softly! image

Of course, I then couldn't get back to sleep properly. He did start grumbling 45 minutes later so I got up, fed him (something of a relief given how full my breasts were by then) and changed his nappy. Of course, he woke up while I was changing him and feeding him on the other side only seemed to put him halfway back to sleep. He was chatting quietly to his sheep when I went back to bed 20 minutes later and I thought 'Here we go, he'll but up for the rest of the night...' Except that after about 5 minutes there was silence and I must have dropped off again because the next time I looked at the clock it was 8 am and he was still asleep! He woke up 5 minutes later, cheerful and ready for the day but then, so was I. :\)

I know that many of you have had babies sleeping through for weeks now but this 8 hours is the longest Peter has ever slept at one stretch in his entire life and only waking once at night and then not wanting to get up at some ungodly hour of the morning is an absolute miracle for us! Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Hope all the other March babies and their mummies are getting enough sleep.

--A very well rested THG :\)

Replies

• Well done Peter what a little star!! I bet you feel so good for the sleep!! Fab news...hope this is the start of things to come for you!

• yay!! Go Peter- i knew he'd do it when he was ready!! I really hope things continue. Max has good and bad nights-his record so far is 7hours but he usually feeds 3times a night, we'll get there.

How's the weaning going? Im taking thigs very slowly-Max isn't really opening his mouth for things so im just giving him tiny tastes on his lips everyday. He will open his mouth for a piece of banana though and happily suck it xx
  • Pixiebob, I'm sure you will. We will probably be back on two feeds a night for a while yet, I suspect, but it is nice to know that he can do it (just as Max will be able to soon,)

As for the weaning, sounds awfully familiar (I swear our two must be related in some way!) He quite likes playing with the various bits of fruit and veg I give him, but most of it ends up on the floor (thank heavens for cheap laminate). Occasionally things make it to his mouth, where they get sucked on, but he doesn't seem to like returning to things. He loved butternut squash the other day, but doesn't seem interested any more. Courgette and banana are hits though. I hold a banana for him and he sucks on it for ages.

I did feed him some apple sauce the other day which he ate happily. He loves his spoons and is clearly comfortable eating off of one, so if this baby-led weaning doesn't work, I figure I can go back to it.

I am so looking forward to being able to feed him what we are eating, though. He is fascinated by our food and far more interested in what we are eating than what we are giving him. Tea seems to be a particular temptation, although that will have to remain so even after six months methinks. image Bread, on the other hand, looks as if it will go down a treat. Two weeks to go and counting...
  • Go Peter! Hope he is keeping it up for you THG. Nina slept through for four nights in a row a couple of weeks ago but lately has been up once a night for a feed. But, that's once in twelve hours so really can't complain!

Hope you don't mind me asking you a BLW question on this post...I just wondered if you could tell me if the book implies that from 6 months baby can literally have what you're having and foods don't need to be introduced slowly? Also, I take it is not a case of one meal at a time to be introduced and food can be offered everytime we have a meal? I did it very Annabel Karmel style last time so its a new way of thinking for me! Thanks so much. x
  • No problem. Yes, the book pretty much says offer them three meals a day from the get-go, whenever you (or Angelo) eat. And offer pretty much whatever you are having - soft and blue cheese, nuts, shellfish and honey are out, and cow's milk shouldn't be offered as a drink. Otherwise, it is anything you are eating yourself. They may not actually eat anything for a couple of months anyway. Peter loves playing with his food at the moment but nothing even went near his mouth today. The theory is that they will learn what they want to eat by exploring it and will only eat enough to make them full at each meal. The book says have more than you think the baby will eat available, but don't offer it to them all at once. Let them lead you (as the name suggests! image
  • Im thinking of doing BLW now. Max is 5months old and is really not showing any interest in purees. Im trying him with carrot tomorrow and if that fails i think i'll stop completely and start again at 6months with BLW. Need to speak to HV though as she told me to start weaning as he's dropped off the 25th centile.

My only concern is that i eat quite a bland, limited diet due to IBD but i guess Max doesn't have to eat the same as me, i love my food and have to have real self discipline to stear clear of my 'flare foods', i'd like Max to enjoy allsorts xx
  • Hi

I liked the idea of blw and Evie will happily gum anything offered but I couldn't bring myself to not do the purees - it seemed like too good an opportunity to sneak lots of vitamins and goodness in to miss, especially as my first loved all the purees and mash and then got seriously faddy for a few months

good luck with the sleeping x
  • Thanks for the helpful info. I really should buy the book! I'm sure Peter will be wolfing down his food soon. This stage is probably more about exploration and getting used to the feel of food. Is he still sleeping well?

Pixiebob, we had an appointment with the paedatrican a couple of weeks ago and I asked her about blw. She was quite positive about it and in general said it is fine as long as you don't have a very hungry baby. I don't think it would matter if you give Max different foods. I think giving a wide variety of foods early on and keeping it up is key. I would give Angelo lot's of different things that I wouldn't eat (inc meat and raw veggies!) and he is a fantastic foodie now. Even for a toddler! Sometimes we eat together, sometimes not and that hasn't been a problem. x

• Thanks missymoo, im perservering with the purees for now but he's really not keen!xx