Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

Dropping milk feeds

Hi girls. Just wondered if anyone knows how to drop milk feeds? Lydis will now only take a bottle first thing in a morning and before bed. She screams in a morning until she gets it but is taking less and less at night. Do babies generally wean themselves off their milk? At the minute I can't see her dropping her morning feed for a while but then again I'm not surw when she should do! She is 1 on the 30th March x x

Replies

• Riley is one on 31st March and has one bottle in the morning and one at night. He still takes a good amount at night (8oz) and think he'll be having the morning feed for a while yet as, like your lo, he screams for it until he gets it! He only takes a few oz at this feed though and the rest goes in his porridge.

I'm not sure when they should drop the milk feeds but when she's one you can replace them with cows milk, although I don't know what I'm going to do as Riley has a suspected intollerance to dairy and I think soy as well!

Anyway, I'm just going along with Riley and will wait for him to wean himself off them. x
  • hi, ds will be 1 on 21st of march, and at the mo he still has 3 milk feeds a day, one on waking, one in the afternoon and one at bed...i think he's currently in the process of trying to drop the afternoon one as for over a week now he's taken no more than 3-4oz where as previously it was 6oz...i don't intend to co erce him to dropping any, just wait and see and as and when he decides he doesn't want it i won't be giving it anymore but unitl then i'll still offer it until he's ready to go without

xkelx...as i'm sure u know ds is milk intolerant and is on soya formula, unlike cows milk 'fresh' soya milk can't be given as a main drink until 2yrs old (have no idea why but thats what it says on the carton) so he will be continuing to have soya forula as his main drink but also carryon with giving 'fresh' soya on his cereal...not entirely sure how that bodes for sterilsing etc, i'm assuming that whilst he's still on formula his bottles and cups still need sterilising and water for ff needs boiling for the extra yr, as i'm pretty sure once on cows milk theres no need for sterilising naymore, but maybe wrong...have u tried him with rice milk? obviously he can't have that aqs a main drink until one yr, possibly older as its very low in fat but might be worth considering for when he's older? xx
  • Wow Baby-I haven't tried him with rice milk, not sure I've actually seen that before! I'll have to look out for it. He's still on nutramigen and has that in his porridge as well. Every so often I've been trying soya milk and soya yoghurt but I don't know whether it's just coincidence but every time I do he seems to get ill! Night wakings and runny noses and stuff so I don't know whether that's an allergy too?! He does have small amounts of dairy, like a little grated mild cheddar, a little butter on a toast and things like that but it's things like yoghurts and milk in cereal that disagree with him.

Sorry this has turned into a chat about dairy intollerance instead of dropping milk feeds lol!

Btw WoW Baby, me and OH used to be WOW addicts lol! x