Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Evenings

I'm finding the evenings quite stressful at the moment. Nina will usually wake up from her afternoon nap somewhere between 5 and 5.30. She's great for about an hour, all smiles and happy, then all of a sudden she opens a can of whoop ass on us! She's obviously getting overtired and really struggles until bedtime but the problem is I can't start her bedtime routine until 7 when Angelo has gone to bed. Despite being tired she loves her bath but gets very worked up when I get her out and her last feed is not very relaxing at all due to her irritability..poor love!

I was wondering how your lo's are in the evenings? How long are they awake for before bed and what
they do?

On a positive note, Nina is usually fast asleep by 8 at the latest and me and oh get a nice relaxing evening. We usually have a meal once the babies are in bed and chill out in front of the tv for the rest of the evening..bliss. I'm not really up for having anyone over at the moment as I don't know how the night will pan out so don't want to be in bed too late. Are you all managing to relax once lo's in bed? x

Replies

• Missy, Peter's routine sounds very similar to Nina's (honestly, you would think our two were related! image) He's usually awake and cheerful from about 4:30 until 6 when I start his massage. He is starting to relax when I do it, but he can be really, really unsettled and demand to be carried until bath time at 6:30. He enjoys his bath but then will yell the place down getting changed for bed and through his bottle before conking out completely during his story, if not before (usually about 7:30).

He then has his longest sleep of the day - currently about 4 hours, until 11, although he has been known to go for 5. We get an uninterrupted meal and a chance to relax in front of the television before heading to bed about 9:30 - except that now he has started waking at 11 I am rather reluctant to go to bed that early as I end up feeling really groggy during that feed. I'm still waiting for him to settle into some sort of reasonable nighttime pattern, but the couple of hours we get in the evening is a god-send! I'm dreadin tomorrow night, though, as my husband will be away so I will have Peter entirely on my own overnight for the first time. Could be a complete disaster! image
  • Hi
    Amelia is exactly the same - Absolute angel all day until 5pm, she can be smiling and giggling up till 4.59 then all of a sudden the screams start!! We have a bath at 6pm, sometimes early if the screaming gets too much. Loves naked time whilst I'm running the bath and is all giggles whilst bathing but as soon as I get her out, oh my god, so loud until feeding. Its all so stressful, I dry her as quick as possible, don't get chance for massage or story because I give her her bottle to calm her down at about 6.30. On the plus side she's usually asleep no later than 7.30pm. Amelia can have good daytime naps or no sleep at all but be exactly the same come 5pm. I'm not sure if she's getting hungry. I currently feed her 7oz every 4 hours (which means she's only getting 4 feeds between breakfast and bedtime) I'm going to change this to 5oz every 3 hours to see how we get on. Our current feeding also means she won't sleep through as she's waking about 1 ish for a full 7oz feed too!!
    Amelia is currently 11 weeks, just trying to find the magic formula!!
    Good luck
  • Max is exactly the same-wakes up 4ish, a smiley angel until 6-6.30 then cries for a good hour or more only stopping while he's in the bath. He's always flat out by 8pm at the latest but it's exhausting.

He's actually been much better the last 3 nights-not getting so hysterical, taking his feed well (he'd been so upset he'd been having trouble latching) and not taking quite so much rocking/cuddling to drop off.

Has anyone noticed that this has coincided with the 8 week jabs-this all started after Max had his, apparently it takes 10 days for it to leave their systems and he does seem to be settling again xx
  • Millie is quite a calm baby all day, up until we take her out of the bath. We try and time bathtime 30mins before she should be due her bedtime bottle and she loves her baths and smiles and kicks away whilst shes in ther but as soon as we lift her out and wrap her up in a towel the bottom lip comes out and the hysterical crying starts,,,she only ever does this type of cry after her bath....its almost as if shes having a paddy about being taken out of the bath!!

She then proceeds to yell all through being dried and put into her jammies and sleeping bag but as soon as we take her into her room and give her, her milk she imediately calms and seems really sleepy so either hubby or I (whoever is not feeding her) will read her a story then go down and wash her bottles for the next day whilst the other one finishes feeding her, gives her a bit of a wind, (and a long cuddle) she is usually fast asleep as soon as you put her up to your shoulder though so no chance of putting her down awake, were not really bothered about her going down awake though as enjoy the cuddles, and really cant see us still having to do it when shes 2, im sure she'll grow out of it herself......(or are those famous last words!! ha) then shes usually asleep from 7.30pm/8pm until around 5.30 ish lately, she did go till 6.30am a couple of times but then wouldnt go back down until 1-2hrs later so dont mind this new 5am ish waking as she then has around 5oz then goes back down straight away until around 8.30am.

xxx
  • Ah we're not the only ones then. It does seem to be quite common this evening crying thing and I'm convinced it's due to overtiredness in our case. I know the bath is supposed to be relaxing but Nina is at her most active during it so that probably doesn't help! I do find that period a little easier if we can get out for a walk to break things up a bit.

HistoryGirl, I know what you mean..they seem so similar! Especially with their erratic sleep patterns (we're currently having bad nights again)! Sounds like Peter is being quite good for you lately, fingers crossed.

Pumbacat, good luck with the new feeding routine, must be worth a try. x