Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 09

Controlled crying-arggghhhhh!UPDATE

Were right in the middle of it girls, god it's awful! Trying to distract myself on here! He seems to be slowing down, I hope this works, it's our final shot at it before I become an earth mother who is breastfeeding until lo is 5!! Lol!! Seriously, we've GOT to get him off the night feed, he doesn't need it.

He's stopped now, that's taken an hour-fingers crossed he doesn't wake up now until morning!!! Hope you're all having settled nights!xx

[Modified by: pixiebob on 23 January 2010 09:01:02 ]

Replies

• It's like the Blair witch project-I'm scared to close my eyes!! Please stay asleep! Xx
  • hi hun, how did it go? did he wake up again? xx
  • Morning!! He woke again at 4.50!! I brought him into our bed and fed him then he was awake for the day at 6-I'm so bad at this tough love stuff! We knew he'd do that though so it was our plan to only do 1 cc a night, we didn't want to put him through 2 rounds of it. We'll do the same tonight, hopefully it'll keep pushing his waking up back until he going through until 6.

He's absolutely fine this morning, full of beans, lots of smiles. He's having a nap now, hopefully a big one as I'm knackered, I just want to curl up under the duvet but were play-zoning this afternoon, at least it'll tire him out ! Xx
  • It's so awful isn't it?? Freya woke up last night, not for a feed but I think perhaps it is teething, or just because, but she wouldn't go back to sleep. She is at the childminder three days a week, and when she has spent a full day away from us she gets very cuddly. So we had to control cry her. Then this morning she was so so grumpy and incredibly clingy. So, since I work flexi time and I've been doing extra on the weekends, I decided to stuff it and cuddle her to sleep for her morning nap. So she snoozed holding onto me in our bed.

Now I am going to go to work.

image It is so hard knowing what is right to do. They need their sleep, we need our sleep, but it is so difficult when they want something they can't have (a nice breast feed, or to sleep all night on you).

Good luck tonight pixiebob. Incidently, Freya often wakes for water at about 4-6am (she is a late sleeper so that is still night for us), and then goes back to sleep until 7 or 7.30am. I know that water isn't going to replace the comfort and cuddle of a bf so he will probably still cry lots, but he might like a drink anyway, even if he is still complaining...

xx

[Modified by: ally_e on January 21, 2010 11:08 AM]

• Hi hun,

It sounds like you are doing the right thing, so stick with it and you will probably be enjoying some lovely long sleeps soon. Sounds like he is a very happy chappy today so it's definiely having more of an impact on you than him.

I do feel your pain though. We did controlled crying with Angelo and it's such an emotionally stressful thing. But despite the stressful nights he was always incredibily happy during the day and I do believe it's helped him become a great sleeper, despite the odd toddlerish blip.

I have been very lucky with Nina lately. Nearly posted yesterday but chickened out! Anyway, for the last 10 nights (i think) she has only been up once in the night. Hope I haven't cursed it!

Good luck tonight, let me know how you get on. xx
  • Night number 2!! He stirred at 3 (which is the time he woke last night) but settled himself back then he woke at 4.20 so were half an hour into cc. So, an improvement on last night but it's still horrible!!

Thats fab news missymoo-well done Nina, I really hope she keeps it up for you! Xx
  • Night number 3- he stirred a few times from 3am but nothing more than a grizzle. He woke at 5.45, he usually gets up for the day at 6 so, no cc and no night feed!! Im not getting my hopes up just yet but it's pretty much the best night we've ever had-(mini 'whoop'). Xx
  • *whoops quietly in hope* Not counting any chickens, but so glad it was a good night. Lets hope for a repeat tonight.
  • Sorry , double post.

[Modified by: TheHistoryGirl on January 23, 2010 09:31 AM]

• Yay, it's sounding good. How was last night? Ooh hope you had a good one. x
  • Oh sorry just realised you were talking about last night. I'm all of a muddle! Good luck for night number 4. x
  • Hey pixie, dont be so hard on yourself, you know what ive been like, bella would go to bed anywhere between 8 and modnight lol then would wake after an hour, then i would get her off then would wake again anywhere from 1am - 4 am then i would just put her in our bed with a bottle and it went on like that for about 3 months, and last sat she was up till midnite not even remotely tired ??? arghhhhh but then sunday night bed at 9 and never moved a muscle all night wooooopppppy then mon tues wed thur fri sat yipeeeee, dont know what happened apart from she got her two top teeth last weekend, but shes had serious nappy rash which ive had to get some antibiotic cream for bless her it soo bad, but please bear with yourself and itl just click, what milk is he on, ive had bella on coe and gate comfort which means it thicker and fuller longer, she was on hungry milk then stage 3 but that was naff. and considering everyone says food makes them full and that means theyl sleep mmmm im not so sure, as bella eats if she wants it shes quite fussy, im trying to get her to eat more of our foods at the min but shes so picky, but she like a drink of my tea on a morning lol xxxxx
  • Hi loz,

well last night he woke at 3am and his cry was different- you know how it goes from a half hearted grizzle/ cry to full on well he was full on so we didn't do cc. We gave him some calpol as he was chomping on his hands but that didn't help so we figured he was genuinely hungry , fed him and he slept until 6.

I'm glad we've given cc a go, I feel like I've done what the 'experts' and my mum suggested but I think we'll be back to going with the flow. Hopefully he'll do a Bella on us one day!!

He's a bit funny with his food to, some weeks it's a real struggle to get him to eat anything and others he eats huge amounts- the hv said this is normal but it does make it difficult to be certain he's not waking up hungry.

Anyway, we tried, I'm going to stop going on about it now, we just go around in circles plus, even if this did work we've still got teething to get through !! Xx

thanks for all your support girls xx
  • Hey, i think the teeth are probably the problem, i think they have been for bella for months and months, theyve a lot to answer for. Fingers crossed im sure he'l settle when hes ready, yep going with the flow is the best xx
  • Goodwork PB!
    Teething sucks. Thats why we have not had a full nights sleep since Novemeber? Its so long ago I can't remember! he was ill in November and teething and now he is in the habit of waking. Sometimes he will feed, othertimes he wants to play. just terrible especially when I have to work as well. I have tried alsorts but nothing is working. Oh talk of the devil......uuuurrgggghhhhhh!x