Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Boo!

It's too quiet in here!! What's everyone up to? Let's list a high and a low from the last year:

a high for me was Max's 6 week checkup, it was the first time he hadn't gone totally nuts at having his clothes taken off, he even smiled at the doctor. That was one of the first of many proud mummy moments that really stands out.

A low, we went out for lunch with friends once and he was just hysterical, nothing would soothe him, my friends baby is 3months older and incredibly placid compared to max who's like a fire cracker most days (thankfuly, now he's just very active/excited most of the time rather than going ballistic cause he's tired/hungry etc!) anyway, we had to cut the meal short and I just felt like such a shit mummy, totally out of my depth (it was at a time when he wouldn't nap AT ALL during the day and I was at a total loss as to why . I remember posting on here about how upset I was and you were all so lovely and supportive. I soon felt like a good mummy again.

So, welldone us, we're all fab mummies! We've managed to muddled our way through the first year! Xx

Replies

• Options
    Hey pixie!

I don't come into this one too often anymore - think I'm too scared of seeing more BFPs. Makes me so sad to know I can't do it again image

Gosh, it's quite difficult thinking of the highs and lows..

My low (get it over with first!) was for a period right before Christmas when Daisy-Mae's reflux was just so bad that she wouldn't eat anything at all and was losing weight very quickly. She wouldn't sleep (and you know how rare that is for my baby!) and just threw up and cried pretty much every second of the day... We managed to get new medication and we now know what seems to make the reflux worse so it's much better now..

As for highs... I'm not sure I can give you just one example. Without making you want to vomit.. (!), you guys know what a terrible time I had in my pregnancy and I was never sure that Daisy was going to make it, let alone completely unscathed. Despite a crappy c-section, those first few days were just the most amazing of my life - I no longer felt ill (apart from a sore tummy!) and I just couldn't believe that all was well. I don't think a day has gone since she was born when I didn't thank God that my amazing, precious little girl arrived safely. I know we all think this, but Daisy was such a fighter and it was her strength then that got her through with so little to thrive on and now, she's still the same fighter - she's been through a lot and yet, she is the happiest, smiliest, strongest, funniest, most content little girl you will ever meet... And now I'm crying - just for a change! image

I echo what pixie says - it really has been an amazing year - and we've all made it!

C xxxx
  • Options
    Goodness, it is quiet, isn't it?

Love the question. My low is easy enough. At about 4 months, when he still wasn't sleeping through, Peter was only having three half hour naps a day and I was absolutely shattered. My absolute nadir came on the day when he only slept for 8 minutes in the afternoon on a day when my husband was working late. I came so close to losing the plot entirely. All I could do was leave him in his crib to cry while I cried downstairs. I didn't actually trust myself to go into him in that state. I still struggle when he sleeps less than I hoped (liked today - no afternoon nap at all :rollimage but I've never reached that low since.

The high is more difficult, just because there have been so many of them! Every time he does something for the first time, when he smiles or babbles or feeds himself or hands me something or concentrates while playing, I feel like the world's proudest mummy. image But one that stands out is the day we went to the weigh and stay a the health centre. It meets over lunch and I was just starting weaning, so I took Peter's sandwiches with me and fed him there. He ate the whole sandwich - much to the admiration of all the other mothers there. Apparently the healthcare assistant who runs the programme still talks about it! :lol:

Looking forward to hearing other peoples' highs and lows. I can't believe that it has been nearly a year since these magical small people entered our lives. Well done all of us for managing so well so far! :\)
  • Options
    Hmm hard question!

My low was when Riley was a few months old and after trying different milk and reflux remedies we still didn't have a happy baby. It was hard no knowing what was wrong with him and some days were hard when it was just me and him stuck in the house. That all feels sooo long ago now though!

The highs are coming all of the time and I'm sure they will keep coming as he continues to learn new things. I think the biggest high was when my OH finally felt a bond with him and could settle and be there for him the same way as I could. I still get a tear in my eye now when I see them playing and laughing together!

Can't believe that our babies will be 1 soon. this year has gone sooo quick! x
  • Options
    I've just started blubbing reading everyones highs and lows!!
    THG - my low was pretty much the same as you, although it happened just before christmas, after not having more than 2 hours of solid sleep for a month and Ophelia hadn't slept all day and OH was away and i had to leave her upstairs crying whilst i was crying downstairs and like you didn't trust myself to go back up. Thankfully, it has got better since !

So many highs though! The fact that she took to breastfeeding so well and is still going now makes me very happy, and she took to BLW really well and always eats whatever she is given (and whatever she isn't!) makes me really proud. She has just learnt to clap, which made me cry!! and when she learnt to say yumyumyum when eating (although she does it when having boobie as well which is pretty funny if we are out! LOL)

Well done to all the March mummies!! I can't beieve they are almost all a year!
  • Options
    Good to see a new post!

I would say my low was when my pelvis 'went'. I have had problems with it since my pregnancy and when Nina was about 8 months it completely misaligned. It was agony but I don't think I've ever been so stressed over worrying about taking care of the children ( we live many miles from close family). Thankfully OH was able to work from home for a few days and was absolutely amazing. So, we got there. I'm still a bit low about it as get a lot of pain now and then and I'm scared of it misaligning again.

Many a high! Nina has always been extremely tactile and so loving. Every day, when she comes over for a cuddle, puts her cheek to mine or lays her head on my lap with a big smile on her face, is a high. Her first steps, taking so well to breastfeeding and food are also highs that stand out. And finally sleeping through the night of course!xx
  • Options
    Aw,these have made me cry-we've all been through alot one way or another but those proud moments make it all worth while cx
  • Options
    Great post!

I may be quite strange here but I can actually think of a few lows :cry:
    The biggest one to start was when we were stuck in SCBU and Ollie just wasn't gaining weight (the Dr wanted him to gain 60g a day and he was gaining 15g) I felt like SUCH a failure as I was BF but I was expressing 150ml every 3hrs so I know I had milk.

I also had moments in the day when Ollie wouldn't nap and just cried so I had to leave him to cry also whilst I cried. Worst of all for me was that 2 of my closest mates had babies a few weeks after me and BOTH of them slept through from 3 weeks and even now they will both sleep 14-15hrs at night. I love my friends but it was SO hard for me to hear about them sleeping like that whilst I was still up every 3hrs or so in the night.

My 'snap' point came last Monday actually! The sleep had just got silly. Ollie was waking between 3-7times a night and sometimes took 1-2hrs to go back off. Not 1 thing would help, it was a case of going through the motions- feed/cuddle/singing/leaving him etc etc. Then last Monday he went to bed at 7pm, woke at 11pm and didn't go back to sleep until 9.30am the next morning!! That day I nearly walked out. I don't know where I would have gone, I know I would have come back but when? I called my HV and she talked me through the rapid return sleep technique. Hubby and I implemented it that night and we now have a sleeping baby! It's still early days and I do expect a set back at some point but am enjoying the extra sleep right now!!

I do have even more highs though!
    One was waking up at about 6am one morning, bringing Ollie into bed with me for a feed and him pulling off, looking at me and doing a real belly chuckle! OMG my heart melted!

He has amazed me with his ability to eat, I am so happy we went with blw as he is just the best eater! I LOVE sitting down to share a meal with my boys!

A couple of weeks ago I picked him up from the childminder and he looked at me, held out his arms and said Mum!

Me a proud Mum? Ab-so-bloody-lutely!!
  • Options
    Hi my low was last aug i hadnt been feeling right and was diagnosed with pnd everything was a struggle i was given tablets but in the end never took them and things did improve the doctor and i both think it was from the birth when she was rushed away and noone would tell me what was going on i will never forget that image but my high is all the time as im the favourite lol Lexie always favoured her daddy still does but Leah still favours me lol when ever im around she makes a beeline for me gives me the cutest grin and loves a hug with her mummy image