Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

FAO: xkelx or anyone else using gina ford

Kel- thought id reply in separate topic in case anyone else is trying or wanting to try gina ford

Laila is 6 wks today, and has managed to get herself into a fairly good routine already. Going 4 hrs between feeds during the day and only norm waking once in the night for a feed norm about 4am. I decided to try her with the routine as last week she went thrugh all night, from 10am to 9pm- so i know shes capable of doing it.
Yesterday was my first day of the routine so i cant comment too much on how well its going just yet. She was in bed by 7pm as reccomended, and went to sleep almost straight away on her own. I woke her at 10pm to feed her, but she was soo sleepy and didnt take very much milk. She then woke at 2am for a feed which was a bigger feed than she norm would have at night. i then woke her at 7am this morn to feed her. SO i've decided today that i'm going to feed her at the later times suggested in the routine as shes quite capable of going 4hrs between feeds. Yesterday i felt like i was just feeding all day!!! Tonight she didnt go to bed as well as she did last night, but think thats cos James (my 2 1/2 yr old) was playing up a bit so she didnt get my full attention at bed time cos i was sorting him out- the joys of toddlers!! So she did go to bed a bit later. I'm gonna make sure when i wake her tongiht to give her a feed that shes properly awake. I might even strip her down to her nappy for 1st half of feed, so she wakes up properly and then get her dressed and give her other half.
I'm trying to stay in all wk this wk so we can get the routine established as it is quite strict but then when its more established i wont be as strict with it. The one thing i have found is the reccomended sleep pattern is very difficult to stick to. Laila tends to be quite a sleepy baby, and will happily sleep for most of the day. I've just been letting her sleep when she wants, but waking her if shes due a feed and not letting her sleep past 5pm so that she goes down ok at night.

WOuld be interested to hear from anyone else that has started this routine and how they're getting on??
Kel- maybe you could start it and see how Riley gets on, think its easier to do the earlier you start. Plus if hes going 3 hrs between feeds anyway, most of her feeds are 3-4 hrly so youd prob be ok with it.
xx

Replies

• Options
    Yer I'll try to start it now and see how he gets on.

I think the sleep pattern would be hard for Riley to stick to as well, as like Laila he will sleep for most of the day. His most awake time seems to be after the bath which is the time he should be getting tired!

He still wakes twice in the night for feeds and takes 2oz at each and I think he would happily take more but he only has 3oz at the very most for the day feeds, although sometimes it will only be 1.5oz, so I don't really wanna be giving him big feeds in the night or he'll get used to it.

Thanks and keep us posted about how you get on.
    xxx
  • Options
    well today went really well up till bed time.....
    She woke up once in the night(about 2am), but only had a tiny feed, and think if it wasnt cos i was half asleep i would have been able to settle her without food; but i was very sleepy so just put her in bed with me, fed for about 10 mins and then she went back to sleep so put her back in her bed. Then she had 7am feed this morning which she woke up for (i didnt have to wake her), then i went out so was running a bit behind so fed her about 10.30, then i was running behind again for her next feed, which she had about 3pm. Then she was due a feed between 5-6pm, she wasnt really interested at 5, so i put it off to 6, but she still wasnt that interested. i tried putting her down about 6.40, but she was wide awake. so i offered her more milk, then put her back down, This went on till about 8.30!!! So not relly sure wot time to wake her tonight!! AHH its soo hard!
    hope evryone else is getting on ok. Hopefully will see a bit more progress in next week or so. xx
  • Options
    Hey just wondering how you've been getting on the past few days?

I've been trying to follow the routine and it was going well, on saturday night he only woke for a feed once which was brilliant as he normally wakes at least twice.

But then yesterday it started to go a bit wrong. How do you manage to fit the routine around youself? I find it hard when I have to go out and basically be around other people as it tends to make everything go wrong! I just feel like telling family not to come round and coo over him as it just disrupts everything! My partners mum wanted us to go round yesterday after 4 as thats when she finished work but how do you fit that around the routine?!

I'm interested to know how you cope with things like this, or have you just told everyone to back off? I would love to do that to mine and oh's parents but I don't think it would go down too well!

xxx
  • Options
    well i have to admit Laila has had a bit of a growth spurt this week and as a result wanted constant feeding, so i've decided to ditch the routine for a week or so. I'm going away for a week to visit some family, so gonna leave it till i get back. But i think its best to try and carry on with life as much as poss, whilst doing the routine. i know its difficult but if you have visitors maybe just insist that they come round at certain times or they have to leave him and not pick him up all the time. As far as going out is concerned i always find laila sleeps in car or pushchair anyway, so maybe just go out at nap times- as he'll prob sleep anyway. Glad to hear that your gettin on well with the routine, thats great thats he only waking once in the night now- hope it carrys on for you.
    will update you next week when i start routine again.

xx