Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

early scan anyone

I just got back from my doctors appt and she isnt convinced that its safe to make up my due date lol

so shes booked me in for an early scan and they'll call me next week.

i am maybe 4.5 weeks now so could be 6 weeks or so at scan... will there be anything there? a HB to see?

theres no way to tell as i got pregnant whilst bf-ing and had 1 af since last january!! and that was in may lol

i'm helpful eh? image

Replies

• Aww exciting! I think there should be a visible hb at 6 weeks but they might have to do it internally.

I had an early scan last time because I had some cramping after a bout of D&V and it was such a weight off my mind and lovely to see the little blob on the screen image let us know how it goes.

• i had early scans previously...its great at 6 weeks it is likely to be internal, u will see your kidney bean shaped baby with a heart beat! ..enjoy!
  • Hi, that's great news that you get an early scan image

I've had 4 scan so far this pg & several with my DS. With my son I saw the HB at 6+1, this time round my first scan was 5+4 and there was no HB, but I was rescanned 5 days later & the heartbeat was there.

With regards to internals, I think it depends on equipment, hospital policies & also how full your bladder is. Even for my 5+4 scan, the sonographer could see all she needed with an external scan. My bladder is always bursting full (I'm always hopping about beforehand!!).

Enjoy it & keep us updated image
  • ok so drink a lot, lol i remember that bursting feeling!

i will def be over 6 weeks, as by my pretend dates i am roughly 4+4-5 now so thats good.

i dont think my hosp do internals... doc didnt say anything. guess i'll know when they ring me image

exciting! i am si hoping to know as i would like to announce this pregnancy sooner rather than later as i am so bloated i am already in maternity jeans... eeeep!
  • oh beverly thats good image

im really hoping to see a HB on the scan, am literally desperate to know!!
  • I had an early scan last week @ 7 weeks as I had a MC in April...it took the Dr AGES to find bub. I was freaking out as I could only see the sac (like last time image) but he jiggled around and we saw our little jelly bean and it's heartbeat.

The internal doesn't hurt at all but can be a little uncomfortable with the said jiggling around!

Good luck xxx
  • Hi, I had a scan nearly 2 wks ago @ 6+1, they didnt even try external scan as they do internal ones this early @ my local hospital. Saw baby and heartbeat which is amazing but was told they cant always see it at 6 weeks, hope your scan goes well!! I have another on Monday when I'll be 8 weeks image xx
  • Hi all,

I thought I would jump in on this.. I am about 8 weeks pregnant - we think! I have had 3 scans (internal) already, one finally revealed the sac (previous scans were for suspected ectopic but finally found it hiding in the right place)

I am back at the EPU on Thursday when we will hopefully see the heartbeat. I am terrified in case something isn't right as we have been through so much aleady but I guess it is another hurdle to jump...

If all goes to plan our DD is march... date yet unkown!

Ceelou
  • ok so drink a lot, lol i remember that bursting feeling!

i will def be over 6 weeks, as by my pretend dates i am roughly 4+4-5 now so thats good.

i dont think my hosp do internals... doc didnt say anything. guess i'll know when they ring me

exciting! i am si hoping to know as i would like to announce this pregnancy sooner rather than later as i am so bloated i am already in maternity jeans... eeeep!

are you having the early scan at princess Anne? If so they do internal scans if needed. Last time I had one at 5+6 and they tried an external first and could see baby but no heartbeat so then tried internal. I then went back a week later and they could see a hb on the external scan. So it will depend on what they can see first in the external one but an internal may be an option.

Is it the epu? If so they were really good with me with my son. I was there 5 times in my first pregnancy and very helpful.

• I am back at the EPU on Thursday when we will hopefully see the heartbeat. I am terrified in case something isn't right as we have been through so much aleady but I guess it is another hurdle to jump...

Hi there, just thought I would say hello & that I have a scan on Thursday through my EPU too, I am feeling worried about it already as my symptoms have all but disappeared. Fingers crossed for us both xx
  • Fingers crossed for you all girls xxx
  • ive still not heard, will ring the MW tomorrow as shes at the GP and ask as i think shes not realised i need an early dating scan. on the letter shes written 'scan with downs testing'.... which is 12 weeks... i have no idea when i am 12 weeks?
  • Ceelou, hope your scan went well today? X
  • Hi Ruth,

3 hours to go - I am thinking of you too - have you had yours yet, how did it go?

Will try and stop by later to update.
  • Yup, had mine this morning. all was fine, B's y measuring as it should image Phew! Will watch out for your update x
  • Hey - how was your scan Ruth?

Not such good news for us. The doctor scanned me again and could see the gestational sac clearly this time and significantly larger. However she would have expected to see a yolk sac and structures and a heart but cannot see any.

She is not prepared to say it is a failed pregnancy so wants to see us again next week for another scan to see what is going on. She is not hopeful it will progress normally but isn't prepared to say either way yet.

So basically we are waiting again.

CeeLou
  • Sorry Ruth - my page hadn't refreshed! Congrats on your scan image Must be a huge releif xxx
  • Oh Ceelou, I am so sorry you didn't see a heartbeat. That's really tough to have to wait another week. I've heard lots of stories of heartbeats not seen till much later than you would expect - maybe some are just late bloomers. As one of my friends said to me recently when I was having my panic, nothing at this stage is an exact science. The waiting is just so hard. Will be thinking of you & have everything crossed for next Thursday xxx
  • Hi all,

I thought I'd posst an update as it's been a week or sp since I last did. After the scan where we were told to come back a week later we plodded on with life and tried to keep everything as normally as possible.

The next scan was last thursday and we were told I would miscarry due to 'early embrionic demise'. The staff at the EPU were amazing, so supportive, understanding and considerate. They booked me in for a vacuum extraction which happend on Monday. I am now home recovering from the sugery and anaesthetic and trying to process everything that has happened.

Thank you for all your support and good luck for the coming months. I will stop by and see how you are all doing.

Lots of love

Ceelou
  • Oh Ceelou, I am so sorry. I had a D&C, which I think is the same as a vacuum extraction, after I lost my first pregnancy & I found that my body recovered very quickly & my cycles went back to normal quickly too. I was pg again a few months later with my son who is now 16 months. You might decide to take a while to recover - for me getting pg was the only way I could move on - but obviously everyone has their own way of getting through. I really hope that you recover quickly & again, I am so sorry for your loss, it is such a hard time.

Thinking of you,

Ruth xxx