Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Food! Losing control...

This is my first pregnancy and frankly I had no idea what to expect with it being a bit of a surprise but most things are going the same as other people I know who have had babies except for my uncontrollable desire for certain foods! It's not necessarily a craving more that Ill see or think of something to eat and won't be able to shake it out of my mind... Yesterday it was a beef and tomato pot noodle for example!

My main concern with this is that before conceiving I was tryin to shift some of the 'relationship' weight I had gained and now I've given up weighing myself and I'm clearly gaining some more chub ( and I don't need anymore) I don't want to be a fat mom - I now I'll struggle to shift it when the baby comes but I'm struggling to resist! (I sent the OH out yesterday to buy custard because allci wanted was custards)

Does anyone else feel like the grub is controlling them rather than the other way round?? :cry:

Replies

• Hiya

I'm g/c from Due in Feb - but this is exactly how I feel. I have to say though, I've kind of given up on the healthy eating thing for a while. I'm only just getting over morning sickness, so just enjoying being able to eat without heaving at the moment!

I'm just eating what I fancy. I know that's not ideal and at some point over the next month I will have to start making an effort to increase my veg intake etc, but right now I'm concentrating on feeling as well as I can do.

It's annoying though, I still have to eat constantly throughout the day to avoid the sickness and it's driving me crazy! It's not that I dislike eating, but I just get fed up that I HAVE to eat, no matter where I am or what I'm doing.

Buy hey, I guess there are worse things (like feeling the way I did about 3 weeks ago!!!).

Chin up, it won't be forever... just enjoy the excuse to eat what you fancy for a bit! image
  • I'm in the same boat. Healthy food makes me feel sick and all I want is carbs! I was also fancying a pot noodle today and like you I just have to think of a certain food and I need to get it! I've been at McDonalds most nights for their chips and milkshakes.

I'm bursting out of my clothes though so really need to make more of an effort to eat healthier!
  • me!

during pregnancy vegetables make me sick so i dont eat them!

i eat take away 5 times a week, its not brilliant but my body physically wont keep anything else in me so what can i do?

mcdonalds chips = heaven
  • I was losing weight before I got my BFP so spoke to my doctor about "healthy eating" and was VERY surprised to be told, to not even worry about what I eat whilst pregnant and just to make sure I eat! Im trying to be healthy, but to be hionest if I fancy something I eat it because at the moment keeping anything down is a bonus. xxx
  • I could have written this post. I feel disgusting as all I want to eat is carbs, carbs and more carbs. I look about 20 weeks pregnant and I'm only 11.

With my daughter all I wanted was fruit and milk which was great for me and baby. This time around I'm out of control.

Have had horrible nausea though which (fingers crossed) is starting to ease off so hopefully I can try and eat healthier now. You've all made me hungry though, mmmmmmmmmm, McDonalds chips... :lol:
  • Hey I have this problem when I'm NOT pregnant. Always have had an issue with food, and absolutely was of the conviction that the food controlled me rather than the other way round.

I joined slimming world before I fell pregnant and had just lost round 9.5 pounds of my 'baby-weight' which is still on from my last pregnancy. With my boy I didn't mind getting a little fat, but this time around the idea is really upsetting me. Like you I don't want to be a fat mum, it just doesn't feel like me... and I don't want to lose 'me'.

I still follow some of the 'rules' I had whilst I was slimming...coupled with giving in to plenty of my cravings.... just not all of them.

This is early days so not sure how I will get on but so far I'm keeping myself under control.

My one big tip is this. I TREAT MYSELF. image

Rather than waiting for unhealthy cravings to consume me (I know they will at least once a day) I counterattack by treating myself to something a really love (but which is healthy) at least once a day. That way I feel right smug and pleased with what ever scrumminess I have to look forward to that day.

For example this morning I went to tesco (other supermarket chains are available) and bought myself two punnets of 'finest' strawberries. I have already eaten most of one!!!

Yum yum!
  • Gosh... That makes me feel better! Glad I'm not alone! I have noticed that the OH is fully taking advantage of the situation-he is loving the lack of veg! :lol:
  • I am a food eating monster! I feel like my day is ruled by when I can next eat! Also worried about putting loads of weight on. I manage to eat healthily when I'm in work, but that's only 2.5 days. Much to oh delight our take away consumption has gone up too!