Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Thirsty! Is it normal?

Hi ladies

Is it just me or is anyone else really thirsty all the time? Before my BFP I could go all day without drinking and not even notice it, but now I am thirsty all the time and it's worrying me! All day I am constantly drinking water and even when I get up for a wee in the middle of the night, I have to have a massive drink of water. hubby thinks it's totally normal, but what do you all think??? :?

Replies

• Oh my gosh, I am so thirsty all the time! I've been averaging about 5 pints of water a day which also means a lot of trips to the loo... :lol:
  • My mouth often feels like Ghandi's flip flop!
  • Yes, very normal! Its cos of the extra blood we produce (about three pints) apparently. I did get my Dad to check my blood sugar for me though (he's diabetic) as excessive thirst can be a warning sign for diabetes. You'll get your blood sugar checked throughout pg by the mw anyway, so I wouldnt worry about it. xx
  • G/C from DIS but you will dehydrate a lot faster with added cargo onboard and you should be drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day to keep you topped up (more if you are having diaorrhea or feeling faint). If you intend to BF after baby is born you will also be advised to down a glass of water after every feed you give baby. Remember it's not just you that needs that fluids now, baby will be taking from it too.
  • I am always thirsty but don't always want to have a drink as it makes me feel sick. I have to down water just to get it down image

Midwife said it was normal.
  • Thanks ladies -your replies have made me feel much betterimage hopefully baby is benefitting from all the extra liquid I am drinking!