Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Girls, please can I have your opinions??

Hi there,

I'm really stuck with something & would live your opinions.

Before I was pg I was taking beta blockers daily to prevent migraines - they were amazing & stopped migraines that had been having a massive effect on my life. I was getting migraines 2-3 times a week, always when I left work, apparently something to do with adrenaline reduction causing the blood vessels in my head to get smaller & cause the migraine. I was also on another drug - sumatriptan - which were to get rid of migraines.

Since coming off my tablets I've not had a problem with migraines which I thought was because I am pg - I didn't get one migraine last time I was pg. But I started back at work last Thursday & a migraine started that night. I was in bed all Thursday evening, felt a bit better so went to work on Friday, the migraine got worse & i ended up in bed from 5pm-2pm today with a visit from the out of hrs dr. I am a bit better now but it is still there. My OH has left for Soytg Africa for work today & is gone a week. If I go into work on Monday then I know I will end up with a crippling migraine. We have no family near & I have my son to look after. I have a telephone consultation booked for 9am Monday morning with an excellent GP who I am hoping will refer me to a neurologist, but I see no other option for me than to phone in sick on Monday morning but as I said, I am a teacher & this will not go down well...

Sorry for such a long post & thank you so much for reading if you've made it this far. I would really appreciate knowing what you think.

Ruthxxx

Replies

• Hi there,

I can see why you are struggling with this! I am also a teacher so know how bad you feel if you have to have a day off. Many a time I have struggled into work when I am poorly and then felt much worse for it. On the other hand you do need to speak with the doctor and by the sound of it have been really poorly today. I think I would phone in sick but would call tomorrow so you don't keep umming and ahhing until the last minute.

Hope that helps

• I too am a teacher and am back at work tomorrow. If you are going to mke yourself ill by working then definately call in sick. But yes, call your head today to explain and i am sure they will understand.

I am still feeling crap and not sure if i will cope with a full day of work. It's INSET tomorrow so will see how i go but if i can't cope i will go home. I am not taking any chances with this baby.

Hope you feel better soon. x
  • Glad I am not the only one worried about going back tomorrow! Mine is an INSET too. Fingers crossed I feel ok. Roll on 2nd trimester for us all! x
  • Thanks Sophie & Natasha. I hope tomorrow goes well for both of you, I used to come home & collapse in bed after work last time I was pg - itwas knackering but I made it through & at least we know second trimester is near (although I think I'm there now & I'm still exhausted!). At least INSET is a gentle introduction back in!

I have no way of getting in contact with my head but I will speak to my HOD today & explain. A friend has told me about a medication for high BP which you can take during pg, and it also relieves migraines so I am hoping my GP will be able to prescribe me this...

Xxx
  • Hi hun, i suffer with migraines as well, they really are the worst things!!

I went to my doctor last week and she told me that migraines are common in the first trimester as your estrogen levels are lower than normal, by the second trimester they have increased to more than double what they usually are, so should stop you from getting them. Really hope yours stop soon x
  • I can understand you not wanting to take time off but a full day at work with a migraine would be a nightmare. I hope the doc prescribes you something to ease it hun xxx
  • Hi girls,

Well my GP signed me off work for this week so at least when I do go back if I get another migraine my OH will be able to look after my son. He is also going to write to my consultant about the possibility of me going on a pg-approved drug should tge migraines reoccur.

I am so upset though, I lost my teaching lab at the end of last year (before they knew I was pg) and so I spoke to my head of Dept last week & she told me that I would be able to have my room back. Now she's just emailed me saying that is not true. Next Monday when I go back to work, trying to avoid stress to prevent a migraine & due to the fact that I have a haemotoma and need to be taking it easy, I am in 5 different teaching rooms - including two IT rooms (I am in science). I am so annoyed and upset. If I had known this last week then I could have dealt with it then. Now I am off all week, then have a full day on Monday so can't do anything about it.

Have just sat in tears for ages, my OH is away all week and I feel like I have no one to talk to. Sorry, feeling really sorry for myself.

Hope for my fellow teachers (& everyone else!) you're having a better day,

Xx
  • Big hugs to you ruth! I know what its like as also suffer bad migraines & teach in a secondary school. I teach drama, so not exactly a low stress, quiet subject! I am glad your doctor has seen sense that you can't teach like this. Has he perscribed you anything to help? I can't take the usual medication either (pregnancy & heart condition) so have to rely on paracetamol, now with a cyclizine anti-sickness tablet at the same time. Ideally, I take it when I feel it coming on & rest in a quiet, dark, room. In reality, I take it & try to carry on, especially if i am at school. Its not good though & hubby has said I am not to do that anymore. Its hard as a teacher but we have to put ourselves & our babies 1st.

As for the room issue, again i've been there too. My room was taken away 2yrs ago so now I teach in 5different rooms on 3 different floors and it does add stress to everyday. But the school has a responsibility to make reasonable adjustments to accomodate you whilst pregnant. Have you had a risk assessment at work yet? Are you with a union? I am with naswut & that have some good info on entitlements. It might be worth looking into so you are prepared for when you do go back? Let me know if I can help.

Hope it eases soon, & just remember it will be worth it in the end. X x
  • Glad you have been signed off, Ruth, think it would have been a nightmare of a week for you otherwise and I am sure you would have ended up poorly. That is not good about the room - I am lucky in that I teach primary so always have my classroom.

Today's INSET was ok - if not very boring! Have to say though I am exhausted now and certainly missed my afternoon nap! Think I might be setting my class on nice quiet afternoon activities tomorrow

• I have only just seen this Ruth. You poor thing, its horrible being ill, and with a lo to look after its even harder.

Im glad you have the week off and hopefully you will feel much better when you return next week.

Please try not to worry about your room. Its not good that you were told you would have it back, but whislt you are at home you cannot do anything about it, so try to forget it until you are back.

Now get as much rest as possible and try and relax. xxx
  • Thanks so much girls, sorry about my slightly (!) emotional post, I blame the babyimage

Starangel, my dr is writing to my consultant to see if it would be possible for me to be on a drug like labetalol which is a beta blocker approved for use in pg, although it is usually used to treat high BP. I was on beta blockers prepregnancy & they worked fantastically so fingers crossed.....! Are you still without a classroom of your own when pg? I'm going to have my risk assessment done next week so will see what that turns up. Otherwise I'm with nasuwt too so I'll go down that route if I have to...

Natasha, inset days are always so dull aren't they?!!! Hope the littlies are good for you tomorrow, maybe a nice display work task would keep them quiet?!!image

Thanks Dxxx, I just feel a bit overwhelmed at the moment with things, having trouble with my OH's brother & his family, as well as problems with my mum. Couple this with all those pg hormones, & this about my room & my migraines and it all seems a bit insurmountable when I'm home alone image And I've just found out that my OH's not back till midnight Saturday, not Saturday lunch as he'd told me, booooo!!

Thank you all, you're very lovely image