Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

EPAU and now Group B Strep! :-(

Hi ladies,

I have not had a good couple of days. image Started with low down, strong pains on Tuesday that got worse as the day went on. I called the midwife and she asked me to go in to get checked over. She scanned me and everything was fine with the baby which was fab, but she couldn't find a cause for the pain. I went home to rest and started to feel better on Wednesday.

Yesterday however I woke up with bad pains again and went to the gp who ended up refering to EPAU at the Women's Hospital. The docs said they weren't sure what was causing the pain and wanted me to stay in for observations. I was admitted to the ward but the n the consultant came around and I was told I could go home.

"It's better to be miserable in your own bed than to be miserable in a hospital bed!"

He said because my scan showed nothing wrong with baby and my obs were ok, just a little low blood pressure it was better to go home with teh pain killers as they'd do nothing different at the hospital. He thought that the pain was being caused by a small bleed in the blastocyst where the egg was released. It should stop by itself so I came home.

Not feeling as bad today, though I slept a lot. Am taking Co-dydromol and Cyclizine at the moment. I don't like taking tablets but if it's going to make the pain stop and they've assured me it's doing no harm to beanie then it's worth it I guess.

Just phoned and spoke to the midwife and she's had some of my results back. She's told me that I've got positive result for Group B Strep. I just feel a little overwhelmed to be honest. She said it doesn't mean anything in terms of now or through the pregnancy and would just mean that they want to give me IV antibiotics as soon as my waters break or I go into labour to decrease the risk of the baby being born with the infection but I just feel like it's another thing to worry about.

I'm finding it all abit tough at the moment. I just wish I could be normal for once in my life. image

Has anyone else had any experience with Group B Strep? I don't know what to think anymore.

Replies

• Hi

This is the first time I have posted in this forum but just wanted to give you a little information about Group B Strep. My best friend had her baby Eve 2 years ago. Eve developed meningitis at 3 weeks caused by coming into contact with the GBS infection in the birth canal. She was unaware the she had the infection so didn't have the antibiotics during birth. Luckily Eve made a full recovery but she was in hospital for over a month and it was very tough on the family. Since then other friends have asked for the swab and have paid private fees for the test, one other friend had it, had the antibiotics at birth and her baby was fine.

Hope that I have helped you and not made you worry more, I think it's brilliant that you have found out, if you didn't know it could of harmed your new baby x x

K xxx
  • Hello,

Sorry you're having such a rubbish time of things right now. Hope the pains are still lessening, think the dr was right about being miserable at home - at least you have your own things around you.

I don't know much about group B strep other than a friend had it & both her children are fine - they found out she had it when she was pg with no1 so she was on antibiotics during both births.

Totally understand you feeling overwhelmed - pg is overwhelming in itself & so when things aren't straight forward it becomes hard to deal with - I'm feeling exactly the same at the moment.

Take care & let us know how you're getting on xx