Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Just dawning on me......

This is so ridiculus but it is starting to dawn on me that in less than 6 months I'm going to have a baby and be a mummy.

Up until now I have woken up excited and happy about the future, and not even fazed about the though of a natual labour (am going to try a drug-free labour and just use gas & air, we will see!)

However last week I has a complete freak out realising I have no idea what I have let myself in for. My husband and I can just about look after ourselves, how on earth are we going to care for a tiny baby that is completly dependant on us?

We have lots of friends who have just been through it all and they are so much more grown up and organised than us. Really concerned about when hubby goes back to work and it will be just me on my own with the baby. I am worried about coping, what if I can't?

Anyone else feeling like this?

Replies

• I did first time for a while! You'll soon get your excited and happy feeling back- along with the nerves!!! I found it easier when OH had returned to work, despite dreading it and getting tearful the day before it happened. You can start to get your own routine and get out and meet other yummy mummys! image
  • Honestly hun, NOTHING can prepare you for having a baby. I didnt believe we'd have one until i held him in my arms. It is the steepest learning curve ever & bloody hard work but honestly, everyone manages. I was exactly the same - I just about managed to have a job & home before having a baby, and to be honest I didn't manage either very well. It is AMAZING how efficient you become when you have no choice!! Not that I'm exactly Nigella or that cleaning women (Aggy?!) now!

You will be fine, honestly. And I'm rubbish with pain & was sure I was going to be like the girl from One Born Every Minute who screamed continually from about half a cm dilated (I am sure everyone else thought I'd be like that too!!), but I managed just fine with just G&A for the pushing bit, it's all about the breathing & counting. I would highly recommend Marie Mongan's hypnobirthing book with CD. I didn't do hypnobirthing but it helped me relax and taught me some good breathing techniques!

Xxx
  • Just thought I'd add that when my OH went back to work I found it actually easier in some ways - you can get into your own routine & really find your feet! X
  • Thank you both for your words of encouragement. I am feeling a lot better today and it is good to know that others feel the same. I suppose it would be a bit odd if I didn't have a freak out at some point!

OH is being great and keeping me calm (although he has had to do this for the last 5 years regardless of being pregnant or not!)

xxx