Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

FAO Ruth77UK

Hi Ruth,

Just saw a post you had written in pregnancy about childcare vouchers. I am 18 weeks + 2 and also get the ??243 childcare vouchers each month.I am a teacher too.

Have you stopped yours for a certain amount of time? I didn't realise I needed to do anything so am panicking a bit now!

My ds will be 3 in April so hopefully will get into nursery with 15 hours funded. I was thinking I would then not need to get the full ??243 so was going to drop it then.

Am very confused!!

Natasha x

Replies

• Hello image

I'm confused too!! From what I can gather you only have to stop the vouchers if they mean that your wage goes below the threshold for SMP, which as teachers our shouldn't (although given I'm part time & have the money taken out for the vouchers I'm probably not far off!). So no, I didn't stop my vouchers.

Know what you mean about reducing your voucher payments, personally I would say if you can afford to keep paying the money from the pay we get on top of SMP for the first 18 weeks or so then I would keep the contributions at ??243. That way even if you just keep the money in your childcare voucher account it will be waiting for you when you put no2 in nursery.... I'm pretty sure you can store up the vouchers like that, though you might want to dbl check with whoever provides it that there isn't a maximum amount.

Hope that makes sense?!

Xx
  • Thank-you - glad it wasn't just me who was confused then! It is so early to have to be thinking about this. We are in the process of trying to sell our house so need to see what our finances are going to be like when I go on maternity leave and then make a decision about the vouchers!

xxx
  • Ah thanks for that - I did realise that about still getting them when on SMP. Hope that applies to teachers aswell!

• I am confused! I don't know what you ladies are talking about?

I need to read bout the money available. I am a teacher too and OH a police officer so though we wouldn't be able to get any money help? Thought we would just get the basic child allowance or whatever it is called now.
  • Sophie they're talking about childcare vouchers that some people have taken out of their wage to pay for their older children in nursery. xx
  • Oh right. thanks x
  • I have confirmed with my HR that you continue to get childcare vouchers throughout maternity even when just on SMP. x
  • That's great news, thanks for letting us know image

Do you know if they still pay it during the unpaid leave (9-12months)?

• No I was wondering that about the unpaid 3 months. The HR were very difficult to get an answer from - they kept beating around the bush so in the end I had to just ask for a yes or no answer!

Basically they said they were not allowed to take money from the SMP and they couldn't stop the vouchers unless we had opted out of the scheme.

xxx
  • Sounds like my school! I'm off at the moment but will ask the finance manager when I return & report backimage