Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012

Sad times!!

I am getting myself in a cafuzzle because my bump isn't progressing very fast and I haven't felt the butterflies in my tummy! Everything I read keeps saying that I should be feeling the babies movements now but I can't! My bump just looks like tubbiness cuz I have gain a lot of weight....so all in all I don't feel particularly preggers!!!

Replies

• bet you will look back around 30 weeks when you can not get comfy in bed because of all the kicks and the bump in the way and wonder what you are worrying about image xxx
  • I know what you mean, I dont feel preggers at all and just look tubby!

Is this you first baby? I dont feel butterflies but I do feel a little pop in my belly like a little bubble popping every now and again so maybe look out for that. I know people say it feels like fluttering but for me I dont feel that! x
  • Sorry - completely gatecrashing but saw this on the home page.

I am an average size 14 - 16 girl so I just looked a little tubby until about 24 weeks and all of a sudden my bump just popped out and kept growing. I was concerned too when I was at your stage but I talked to friends and my midwife and they said it was normal not to show properly especially if your first baby (which mine was) until after 20 weeks and into the 20s.

I had no real symptoms either which although great didn't make me feel very pregnant until later on.

As for the movements, I didn't really get any noticeable kicks until after 20 weeks. Like Angel it was more pops rather than flutters too until much later when she would give me (and Daddy when he put his head ot my tummy but not until into the late 20s say about 26 / 27 weeks) a good kicking!!

It will come - easy for someone who has been there to say I know but I was like you and really wanted the excitement of the movements and the bump but it'll happen - relax and enjoy being able to move around easily whilst you can image

Take care & all the best

xxx
  • G/C - my baby was born in July. However, most women confuse babies first movements with wind - its only after 24 weeks when most people can feel really strong movements. I felt pops too, never butterflies. As for the weight, I got all sorts of comments about how I was carrying 'all around' instead of on my tummy. My grandmother even said 'you've put on sooo much weight and you have got sooooo long to go. You are going to be massive'. I got really down about it at the time because I was trying so hard to eat healthily so that I could build a healthy baby. Everything changed by about 30 weeks though and by the end of my pregnancy everyone commented on how small my bump was and I was accused of not eating properly! Infact, I ate really well and my measurements were perfect. In the end, I gave birth to a 7lb15oz baby girl having only gained 2 stone in weight by the end of the pregnancy. Within two weeks I was within half a stone of my pre pregnancy weight and now I am back to normal. Try not to worry about it, your body will change several times and no one can predict how much weight is true weight and how much is water/baby. Just eat healthily and let your body do what it needs to do xx
  • Hi sjw

I am stressing about not feeling movement too- especially since I went to the midwife on Monday and she looked a bit disbelieving when I said I hadn't felt anything yet (thanks a lot lady!!).

But everyone keeps telling me that when it's your first baby it takes that little bit longer so I am trying not to worry. I have my second scan in 2 weeks so hoping that will reassure me!

when is your scan - perhaps that will make you feel better.

As for the looking pregnant thing- I think the bump appears all of a sudden. I am quite slim and was wondering when I would start showing and then yesterday someone asked me if I was pregnant and I felt really happy image

I'm sure once strangers start giving us unwanted advice, we'll be wishing for the days when we didn't even look preggers!!! Xx
  • Hi,

Just wanted to reassure you that it is very very common not to feel any movements for a while with your first baby. I didn't feel them for ages with my ds and then all of a sudden there were there! As for your bump - it will develop and you will wonder what you were worried about. My bump took ages last time and I just felt fat!! This time it has certainly popped out quicker.

It really won't be long for you but try not to worry in the meantime - it is all very normal

xxx
  • Thank you everyone for your reassurance! It is my first baby so I'll hold off with the worrying for a wee bit longer! My scans a week today so looking forward to seeing wee man again, 20 weeks should be a bit of a milestone and stuff will start happening- here's hoping!
  • Hi

I feel a little the same. I have heard baby about a week ago and sounded very healthy but doesn't stop me worrying that something will happen. I have a little bump which gets progressively bigger during the day. Some people comment and say I look big and some say I look small. I think I have felt the baby move but not sure. Some days I feel really positive and some days feel like I am waiting for somethihng to go wrong.

Got my scan on 9th Nov so not too long to wait.

Even after that I am sure I will worry! :roll:
  • This is baby #2 for me and I have hardly felt any movements (I think) I am 19 weeks and last time I felt movements on the outside (that you could visually see) at 18+ weels. I never felt the little bubbles/flutters last time so not sure if what I can feel is the baby or not at the mo.

I too don't have much of a bump. I didn't last time either tho and was only looking like 30 weeks max at full term. I long to get a bump now but don't even look like Ive put on weight. It does have an advantage tho and I was back in pre preg jeans 2 weeks after birth with no intention, healthy eating or exercise. You may find you get a few stretching pains and then wake up one morning with a more pronounced bump.

I can't wait for my scan next tuesday to know everything is ok. I know I felt exactly like this last time, and people's comments on being so small don't help.
  • Well, scan went well last week (all though it was very rushed) baby is still lying breach and using procenta as a kicking bag so the lady said it would explain why I can't feel him! People are commenting on my bump now but only people who are looking for it! Still not feeling particularly pregnant but am reassured in the fact everything seemed fine on the scan!

How's everyone else's scans going??