Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012

Antental Classes Booked!

Has anyone else booked theirs? I've booked mine today with NCT starting in Janury when I'll be 29 weeks. The NHS ones near me were a bit pants and were only running 1 or 2 sessions on an afternoon when my OH wouldnt be able to make it.

This feels like the first pregnancy all over again because my daughter is 16 and my OH hasnt been through the pregnancy and birth thing before so am looking forward to it xx

Replies

• Hello Angel! I have booked mine as well. I am going to the NHS ones as thats the only way you can get a tour of the maternity ward at my hospital, but I have also booked NCT ones too. I am a first timer so excited about all the classes!

Anyone else booked theirs? Xx
  • i wont be doing any! haha am i mad?

i only had imogen a year ago and had a straight forward birth and didnt really need any of the advice given at my first NHS ones.

hubby wants them but i dont understand why as we know it all?? unless hes forgotten lol :lol:
  • O my life .... am i really unprepared??

I've not done anything about classes yet! Does the midwife do classes, or the hospital? My midwife hasn't mentioned anything yet. I feel a bit stupid!! :lol:

xxx
  • I never had any last time and not doing any this time!! im a rebel!
  • Rosemary and nicolaire you are not rebels - your are just experienced mums, you could probably run your own classes!!

Gem, don't feel stupid! The hospital midwife gave me the info when I went for my 12 week scan, so just ask at your hospital, or ask your normal midwife.

People have told me different things about the NHS courses, some people say they are really helpful, and others say totally useless! Anyone out there who has done them and wants to share their opinion??

As I said, at my hospital it's the only way you get to see the maternity unit, so I just want to be nosey!! Plus as a first timer I am probably a bit too keen :lol: xx
  • We did NCT last time & really enjoyed them. Maybe a bit OTT - 8x2hr sessions, my labour didn't last half of that - but very worthwhile. The nhs ones on offer near us were RUBBISH! But all areas are different & I have heard some good stuff. Not doing them this time, don't think you need to as much with no2 (though maybe with a 16 yr age gap Angel!!) xx
  • i think i knew more than my MW doing them lol

i was looking into refresher ones but i think it would be a waste of money and time.
  • Not bothering this time, I've learnt more from actually doing it! But then my dd is only 17 months.

We did the NHS ones - had four if I remember rightly. The most useful was the labour and birth one as we got a tour of the delivery suite and the lady who did it had herself had one completely natural delivery, one induction and one emcs so she was able to cover all the bases. We had another on feeding, one on "after the baby" and one other that I can't even remember what it was about (must have been useful!!).

I had to book them myself, but the midwife provided the contact details. I do remember having to book them fairly early though.
  • We had an 'intensive' all day Saturday NHS class. It was good, I think it can depend on the midwife leading the class. I sometimes wish I'd done the NCT ones as everyone I know that did has come away with a network of friends from them. Won't be repeating the classes this time as I didn't do it all that long ago and it's all fresh in my mind- the labour that is!!! x image
  • I've booked nhs ones but after reading this I've just booked NCT ones as I'm utterly terrified so think it's worth the added information!! Thanks guys!
  • omg i havnt got a clue, i hadnt even heard of the nct ones def going to book one !