Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012

Exercise in Pregnancy

Ok so lets be honest, is anyone actually doing any????

I haven't done a thing since I found out I was pregnant and really wish I was. They say if you keep fit through your pregnancy you will be more prepared for labour.... apparently?!?! image

Being a mummy already makes it really hard to find time and my DH works long hours so it's not like I can pop to the gym in the evenings!

So, anybody have any ideas how to keep fit?

Replies

• How old is your other child? I find that running after my almost 2 year old is lots of exercise.

Have you thought about pregnancy yoga? I think you can get a very good dvd that you could do at home. It is supposed to be fab for getting the body (and mind) ready to cope with labour better.

I will be getting this when I get paid.
  • Hello

I started Yoga just before I fell pregnant. I have one to one tuition every fortnight and then can do my own in between. Found it great, I must admit I need to do more on my own time but its great for the legs and back.
  • my yr old keeps me pretty busy i have barely put on any weight and am shattered lol

i also do some yoga when i find time, aka when my husband is on lates... i do tara lee shes lovely and its so relaxing it doesnt feel like exercise!

have u thought about swimming? my local swimming pool so free swimming for pregnant ladies too so its a bargain
  • I swear by the idea of keeping fit in pg helping with your labour. Last time I didn't do anything strenuous but I was continually active, walking lots & swimming several times a week - every week day for the 4 weeks before my labour. I had a really straight forward labour - less than 7 hrs, waterbirth, out of hospital about 7 hrs later. I also think a 4 mile walk the day before I had my son kick started my labour (I was 39+4).

This time I am worried I'm not doing enough. I'm not working - very long story - so that is a whole lot of running around that I'm not doing, like you m2be, my OH works long hrs (like today when he left the house at 6.30am and still isn't back at 9.15pm), so I can't do the swimming that I would love to do. I should be doing an exercise DVD, but I'm that knackered from being pg, looking after my 18-month old (who was up for good at 4.45am today...) & looking after a house that I collapse come my son's bedtime (or iron, cook etc...).

So I'm doing nothing ATM except light walking, housework & running round after my son... image

Need to get a**e in gear I think...

Xx
  • I walk about a mile a day in my lunch hour and quite fast (especially on way back when I'm late!) and have also bought a pregnancy DVD which is quite hard work but have only done it a few times. Like others have said its finding time. I work full time and by the time I get in and have my tea I'm knackered! xx
  • G/C but as daft as it might sound you can get exercise in your home by walking up & down your stairs a few times a day. Continuing with household chores such as hoovering, mopping floors, mowing the lawn, weeding will all help too. And if you do find a spot of extra time, popping along to your local swimming pool will help exercise all your muscles whilst supported by the water.
  • Angel3130, what DVD have you bought? Would you recommend it? Thanks image xx
  • I'm doing Aqua Natal, but was far more active last time doing Aqua Natal, swimming and spin (until 29 weeks). Like you I have a toddler to run round after so that is exercise in itself (especially climbing up the big slide at the park, pushing the swing, turning the roundabout etc etc. I walk to the train station for work and have spent 4 hours cleaning my house this morning so I'm sure it all counts.
  • Ruth I have the Complete Pregnancy Fitness DVD by Erin O'Connor and you certainly feel like you've worked out after the end. I have to stop mid way through some of the exercises! It also comes with a postnatal DVD and a section you can do with your OH which I havent done! x
  • Angel - that dvd sounds great!! Think I may have to google that.

Ruth - our lives sound the same. My DH left at 5.45 this morning and the earliest he will get home is 7 but more likely 9!!! It makes doing anything let alone exercise in the evening impossible!!

I have found a local pregnancy yoga class but they just do 6 week course so with christmas in the middle I'm not sure what's the best time to do them? Any recommendations?

All of the swimming clubs near us are members only image which is rubbish as I would have to pay 50/60 pounds each month and they don't even have specific pregnancy classes like aquanatal!! So rubbish!!!

But you are inspiring me girls so keep it up!!!!
  • The Erin O'Connor dvd is great, and the post-natal one is really fab for those first few weeks, I found it especially good after my section. I'm doing the Davina one this time round, as I've got some pelvic problems/pain and am limited in what I can do (i.e. cant do swimming as it aggrevates it), and the Davina one is that bit easier.

I have found that I've put less weight on so far that I did with DD, which I'm attributing to running after her. I do find it difficult to fit in exercise though, with work and life in general, but aiming for twice a week from now on, having only managed it a few times so far! x