Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012

Gifts for Number One

I just saw this on the end of another thread and thought it probably deserves a topic of its own as I think it will be interesting and helpful to find out what the rest of you are doing.

So, we have a DD who will be 30months when we are expecting a DS (to be confirmed again at the 20 wk scan next week hopefully - imagine if they now say girl!!! :lol: )

She is a very girly girl and loves dolls/prams so I was thinking about getting her a Baby Boy so they both have the same bits with some bits to go with it - nappies, cream, wipes etc so she can have her baby when we have the new one if that makes sense?

I also can't resist the Big Sister Tshirts although that is for me not for her!!! :lol:

So what are the rest of you ladies doing? If anything?

Replies

• My dd is getting a boy doll from my sis for chrimbo image) I've got her a big sis t shirt & a book about having a new baby. X
  • We're getting our little boy a camera so he can be part of taking photos etc as we will have ours out quite a bit.
  • Good thread!

We are definitely going to get Benjamin a gift, I'm just not sure what yet - will wait & see what he's into in a few months time!! We've got 3 books that we look at, he strokes my bump & waves hello to the baby (so cute!), we look at baby pictures of him & talk about "the baby" lots.

He will be 23 months when no2 arrives so still a bit little, but judging from the amount he understands now I would guess that he will know some of what is going on.

Love the camera idea, but mine will be too little I think - maybe the following Christmas though....!

Xx
  • Ruth, I'll be interested to see what you come up with as DD will have literally just turned 2yrs when baby comes along and I'm stumped for ideas for presents, other than the obligatory Big Sister tshirt.

I'm a bit worried that if I get her a baby doll she might think that the baby can be handled in the same way (upside down, on the floor, in the washing machine etc!!), and she'll be too little for a camera. I was thinking of getting a good interactive toy that will hold her attention possibly? Doesn't help that it'll be her birthday just days beforehand!

• We've already bought a doll for dd (she's 18 months). Nearer the time we're going to borrow books about babies from the library so it's still fresh in her mind. We are talking about the baby and have shown her pictures of the scan, but she was more interested in the pictures of bears that were on the card!!

We're going to wait until a bit nearer the time to see what she's in to before we buy. But I did buy some Happyland jigsaws that were half price in ELC recently and I've put them away to get out when I think she'll like them. So they might end up being the present!!
  • Just thought, I read the Tracey Hogg toddler book and there is a chapter in there about reactions to no2. In there she specifically talks about giving the elder sibling a doll and says:

I don't agree with giving your toddler a doll when the baby is born, so that she has her own "baby." A doll is not like a baby - it's a toy. You can't expect a young child to treat it like a living thing. Instead, she'll drag the doll around by its hair, pummel it, and abandon it in back of the settee. A few days later, you'll discover the doll, with sticky red goo smeared around its face, because your little one tried to feed it a jam butty.

That's not necessarily my opinion but I must say that she does make a lot of sense in what she says generally - and very similar to what you said Lulee.

I also plan on putting together some sort of activity case for Benjamin that we will only get out when I am feeding the baby. Not sure what will be in it but paper & crayons may feature, along with something from the tv show that he is watching at that time - at the moment he is loving night garden & macca pacca but I'm thinking he might be past that in a few months time!
  • See, this was my worry, that DD would abuse the dolly like she does with most toys, and then get confused about what she can and cant do with the baby. She is aware what a baby is, and will point at pictures of herself newborn and say baby, and say baby when I point at my tummy (although worryingly points at my boobs when we ask her where the baby is!!), and will say baby when she hears a baby cry but honestly, she'll have no real idea of what's going on when the baby comes I think, and will get bored of it very quickly.

As long as she's not that interested and therefore not deeply jealous and tries to hurt it, I'll be happy!

I'm also counting on the fact that she's a real Daddy's girl so wont be that upset about Mummy feeding the baby all the time etc. x
  • Oh great research Ruth!!!! I had never even considered the baby/doll issue - I thought it was a great idea!!!! :lol:

I love the camera idea - I have got her one for christmas but may now keep it until March. It would be perfect!!!

Has anyone found any good books? I hadn't thought about going to the library so definitely going to check out what they have there!!