Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Shopping!

Hi everyone, hope your all well.

I'm a first timer and been holding off doing any shopping till after my 20 week scan, which is on wednesday, so i'm itching to start! But what do i need!!?

I know what the books and internet say, but i thought you ladies who are pros might be able to share your hints/tips on what things you couldn't live without during those first few weeks and months and what you thought was a waste of time and won't be using this time around!

Thanks

xxx

Replies

• it does depend on what you want to buy and spend but my list was roughly this:

Cot or cotbed

Cot mattress

Moses basket (if you want it, dont last long)

Basket stand

Baby bath (or foam insert, we did both)

Baby swing/bouncy seat (i got one which could lay down so baby could go in from day 1)

Play gym (i also got an activity arch for over their head when they got bored of the one which came with it)

Drawers/wardrobe

Pram

Car seat (adapters for pram if needed)

Car seat base (if u want it)

Travel cot (and mattress and sheets etc)

High chair (we got 2, one wooden and one reclining)

General items

Changing bag

Changing mat (one for bag and one for house, maybe one downstairs and upstairs?)

Foot muff

Raincover

Car mirror

Car sunshade

Pram sunshade

Monitor

Muslins x alot

Dummies x4

Teether

Kids coat hangers

bibs

flannels

Feeding items

Steriliser

Bottle brush

Splash mat (i didnt bother as we have a laminate kitchen floor so i just wipe with a wipe)

- Breastfeeding

Breast pump (i got manual TT and loved it)

Storage bottles/bags

Breast pads (sainsburys itch, i bought boots, asda and TT ones)

1-2 bottles (for expressing)

Lanisoh (sp) cream (expensive but my lord is it worth it)

Nursing bras x3 (including a comfy nighttime one, babies r us are good for these)

Nipple shields x2 pairs (if wanted, i didnt bother)

- Bottle feeding (i bf so this is basic nto sure if u need anything else)

6-8 bottles

First and second teats

Formula - cartons or powder

Bottle warmer

Travel bottle warmer

Thermo bottle holders

Bathroom essentials

Bath seat

Sudocream/bepanthen

Baby bath wash

Baby shampoo

Baby nail clippers

Teething gel or powder

Brush and comb set

Thermometer - room, bath and body

Sponges/flannels

- Using disposables

Pack nappies

Wipes (a lot)

Cotton wool (didnt use much but had a few just in case, i didnt use them for the meconium as it took forever, we just used a flannel and threw it away after)

Nappy bags (cheap and great for containing poo lol)

- Using reusables

Nappies x 15-20

Cloth wipes x 30

Travel wet bags x 2

Nappy bin

Mesh bag bin liners x 2

Fleece liners x 15-20

Linen

Moses basket sheets x4

Cellular blankets x4 (2 large, 2 small)

Fleece blankets x3

Grobag 0-6 months x2

Grobag 6-18 months x2

Cot sheets x4

Baby bath towels (we used our towels as these are massively over priced and to me seemed thin)

clothing (we had newborn and 0-3 but we needed tiny baby in the end as she was tiny at 6.6)

Vests x12

Babygros x8

Pairs booties x2

Pairs socks x5

Jumpers x3

Hats x2

Scratch mits x3

Pramsuits x 2

Day outfits x5

For Mum

Maternity pads (allow for a few, i got night time pads from tesco in the end as they were actually thicker and wider)

V-shaped pillow

Optional

Cot bumper and other accessories

Changing table

Sling (we got a rubbish one first time round but this time i went for a close wrap, so worth the money, baby can be close to you while you do daily tasks or just go to the shop without needing a bulky pram all the time)

Bumbo seat
  • Fab list Rosemary! Can't think that there's anything I'd add! x
  • Wow!! Rosemary, what a great list!!

Thanks so much for that, I'm gonna print this off. Much better than my attempt!

Thanks again

xxx
  • Fab list indeed!!

Just a couple of things from my experience:

I'd only buy the very basic clothes - vests, sleepsuits, hats, socks etc because you will get bought a tonne of stuff!

And lansinoh is a must, amaing stuff!!

We had a baby bath last time & hated it - massive, awkward, we use the sink then the bath (one of us would hop in with him!).

We have an icandy with the sun parasol to match but it is RUBBISH. a blanket pegged onto the hood is much better unless you walk along long straight roads - otherwise you have to readjust it with every direction change!

Our cotbed has a drawer underneath & a changer that goes across the top - both I found fantastic.

For toiletries, we didn't use any products like shampoo on Benjamin until he was about 6 mnths - their skin is far too delicate & it isnt needed. We used just cotton wool & warm water for the first 6 weeks or so for the same reason. Totally agree about the meconium - nightmare to get off!!

Xx
  • Agree with all the bits suggested so far.

My biggest tip would be to get a cot-top changer as I didn't have one initially and had stitches so found it a nightmare to get down on the floor. So much easier when we finally got one - also better for my back!

• i did love and still do my changing table. it was amazing when ur back hurt after labour.

i got mine in babies r us for like ??30 in the sale and used it all day every day.

now its good storage for imogens bits and bobs and now for no2 too image
  • Thanks ladies. OMG I think I may be out of pocket for a while!
  • Lol Nikkirich, I think every single one of us from my NCT group had a winkel & a Sophie the giraffe!! Both fab!

And totally agree about the yucky high waisted big black knickers, I got mine from Sainsburys!

• oooh i didnt add a hospital bag list did i lol thats a whole other game park

crap i cant think about hosptial bags now, im not even 20 weeks!!
  • Ah fab list Rosemary! I definately second about the moses basket though, ours lasted about 4 weeks - if you can't fit a cot in your room (assuming baby will be in there for a while) i'd invest in a crib they last so much longer.

I've done a hospital bag list already but i'll put it up a bit later i'm supposed to be doing a uni assignment at the moment :roll:
  • Right i'm back! This is just my list based on how it went last time (11 hour induced labour, natural birth, 24 hour stay) so obviously you tweak it for you and I may well have forgotten a few things so feel free to remind me!

I would say it's better to take a small bag with you for the labour and have a bigger post-natal bag and bag for baby that you can leave in the car. Some hospitals get a bit funny about you bringing loads of stuff in as space is limited. At worst if you run out of stuff and worry that your OH won't know what to bring clear a drawer out at home and fill it with spares that he can just grab.

Labour bag:

1 nighty - cheap one you won't mind throwing away

Slipper socks

Lucozade/snacks or lucozade tablets

Camera/spare batteries

Phone charger

Headband

Lip balm - g&a makes your lips really dry

If you think your birth partner won't be able to swap the bags over for a while it might also be worth having in this bag:

Knickers - post birth, just get a few packs of primark cheapies that can be chucked, paper knickers are a waste of money.

Another nighty - I swore i'd wear pj's post birth because I hate nighties but honestly they are so much easier to cope with when you're in the hospital.

Maternity bra/sports bra

Maternity pads - I wore 2 at a time for the first few days overlapping in the middle, it made sitting down a bit softer.

1 vest/babygrow/hat for baby

Baby bag:

2 vests

2 babygrows

1 hat

1 pair scratch mitts

3 muslin cloths/bibs

Going home outfit

Blanket

8-10 nappies/nappy sacks

Wipes - even if you don't use them at home, cotton wool is rubbish on meconium.

Post-natal bag:

Extra nighty

2 Maternity bras

More knickers

Maternity pads - about 3 packs just in case.

Breast pads

Going home clothes

Flip flops - the showers are horrible.

Dark coloured towel - again that you don't mind chucking afterwards.

Pillow - hospital ones are rubbish but make sure you can easily identify it as yours.

Toothbrush/toothpaste

Cidal soap - I used this instead of shower gel it's antibacterial so great on your lady parts or csec wound but it doesn't dry your skin out and it smells of lemon.

Shampoo/conditioner

Deodorant

Face wipes

Hairbrush

Lansinoh cream

Arnica tablets - if you take one at the same time as your painkillers it really helps speed up healing internal bruising.

Entertainment - wards are noisy so I didn't sleep very well and I actually got really bored waiting for DS to want feeding! I'm taking a book, my iphone (free internet!) which has music on it, my portable DVD player and a comedy series. I figure I probably won't get through a whole film.

And lastly a couple of plastic bags to put dirty clothes etc in.

Think thats about it. It does look like a lot but toiletries etc can be bought in travel size so they take up less room.
  • wow, grerat lists Ladies, x-plumduff-x found your hospital bag list very useful, will be printing that off ready for when i get mine ready. thanks! image
  • oh plumduff u need to paste that onto the hosp bag thread!!