Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Hospital bag!

Hello!

When are people planning on packing this/these? I say these because I think I had 3 last time (plus my two bed pillows.... :roll:

I wasn't thinking till 36 weeks or so - when I've finished for mat leave basically - but don't know if I should do it a bit earlier? I has DS at 39+4.

Also, second timers are you basing some of the contents of you bags on how your labour went last time? I.e. I was in hospital for just over 2 hours before my son was born so didn't use LOADS of the stuff I'd packed - books, laptop, cards....!! Will you be assuming that second time round will be quicker?!

Xx

Replies

• im taking 2 bags, one for me, one for baby (hubbys stuff in with my bag)

i take:

2 sets of jammies (1 trouser and 1 nightie)

1 sleep bras (nursing ones)

big black nicks (pack of 5 from primark)

1 pack of maternity pads (hosp provide if u dont have any or run out)

1 dark towel (for showers or getting out a birthing pool, its very cold when you're close to being 10cm, u get the chills)

wet wipes/pack of wipes (for when you go to the toilet, toilet paper is rough on grazes or tears)

thin dressing gown and slippers

massage oil (i take a mini johnsons baby oil)

snacks and drinks (lucozade is a must for me)

hairbands

socks

spare pillow?

tens machine?

toiletries... you wont use them probs, i didnt, but i took femfresh shower gel just in case (again mini version)

small amount of breast pads (you dont need loads in the first few days, just in case really)

hairbrush (again mini version)

for baby:

car seat

going home outfit

3 vests, 3 sleepsuits (u dunno how long u may be)

nappies (not loads, hosp will provide if u run out)

hat, booties, scratch mitts

muslins for spillages

blankets, i took 3.

teddy for baby (have this in ur bed for a while running up to the birth so it smells of you)

for hubs:

spare boxers and top

food (something non perishable, like nuts)

camera

list of numbers and phone charger

book or magazine (incase its a long labour or you have a sleep and hubby isnt)

it seems like a lot but you do need most things at some point. i was only in hosp for 8 hrs so didnt use a lot of clothes, so i am packing light, if you have a section u may need an emergency bag at home so someone can bring it in for you as you'll be in longer, with more clothes etc.

heehee dont forget ur pregnancy notes :P

things i didnt take:

lip balm

water spray

music to listen to

toothbrush or paste (just wasnt in long enough)

anything to wear in birthing pool, i went in naked lol
  • i am assuming a similar if not faster labour.

8 hrs, water birth, 10 mins of pushing, no pain relief (forgot to hire a tens machine lol) i guess i feel confident and hope this birth is even quicker.

if not, i think the lists are good enough that we'd be ok. hosps provide most stuff, nappies etc.

i remember taking a tub of sudocrem with me and not even getting it out the bag!
  • I had a waterbirth too, our labours sound very similar - mine was just under 7 hrs, TENS to start with, then G&A during pushing - though that lasted for what felt like forever, though was less than an hr - it would be nice if that was shorter this time. Did you then get admitted to a ward? I went straight home, had him at 10.46am, left at about 5.30pm. Would like to do the same this time!!

This has moved onto a bit of a different topic!! But other second/third timers - what were your labours like if you don't mind sharing? Xx
  • PS I forgot my notes last time. We had to go back, I had a contraction in the back alley trying to remind OH to bring my pillows too!! X
  • Oh God, we're not thinking about this already are we!!! It's going too fast!!!

I finished packing mine the day I went in to be induced last time (at 37+6 and it was a bit unexpected so I have a good excuse!!). That was also the day that we finished building the cot and bought the car seat (on the way to hospital), we were quite disorganised!!

Anyway, I was in for a total of three days last time so needed more than I'd already packed. And my dd ended up being quite small so all the clothes I'd packed for her were too big and I had to send people out to get properly fitting ones.

This time I'll pack:

FOR ME

Sufficient underwear for a three day stay

A couple of changes of clothes

Nightclothes

Slippers

Clothes to give birth in (I'm recycling the old nighty from last time)

Book / magazine

Snacks (for me and hubby - they weren't very good at giving him food last time)

Money for the car park

Camera

Batteries

Mobile phone

Maternity pads - lots of, I was using two at a time at first to make it more cushioned for my tear

Breast pads

Washbag and toiletries

Hairbands

Spare flannel for labour

TENS

FOR BABY

Packet of nappies (my hospital doesn't supply these)

Vests (tiny baby, newborn and 0-3)

Sleepsuits (in Tiny baby, Newborn and 0-3 so I've got all sizes covered, I have tiny baby already from dd and wouldn't buy them specially). I think the first one this baby will wear will be the first one my dd wore.

Cotton Hats

Cardigan / jacket for coming home

Cotton Wool balls

Muslins

Heirloom blanket knitted by my nan that me, my sisters and dd have all been wrapped in.

I'm sure I've forgotten some stuff!!
  • Oh yes, Maternity notes (and birth plan). Quite important those!!!

My labour was induced at 37+6. I had pre-eclampsia which had worsend at my DAU visit on that day. They wanted to keep my in to start off there and then but I was on my own so pursuaded them to let me home for a couple of hours so I could get my stuff and my husband (and so we could buy a car seat!!!). It was started off at 4pm with a pessery, almost needed an emergency c-sec that afternoon but things sorted themselves out a bit. Had second pessery and then left overnight. Next morning my waters were broken, started having contractions but they kept stopping and I was being sick and couldn't even keep water down. At 5pm they started the drip and finally gave me an anti-sickness jab (by which time I also needed IV fluids) and then things were pretty quick after that as dd was born naturally at 22.09. Did the whole thing on TENS, gas and air and painkilling tablets which apparently is pretty good going for an induced labour. After being stitched up I was admitted to a ward and then allowed to go home two days later.

Needless to say, I don't really want a labour like that this time!! A nice natural one would be preferred, but the main thing is that baby arrives safely.
  • Wow A-Nonny-Mouse, you're the first person I've ever heard if that's been induced & not had an epidural! Can you do anything to avoid the pre-eclampsia this time round or is it out of your control? X
  • Last time I packed my bag at 37+6. the day I had my son!

I went in to be monitored as possible waters broke. They wanted to keep me in and induce. I managed to pursuade to let me go home and get (pack) bag and emergency trip to mothercare!

Can't remember what was in it but ended up being in a week so had to send hubby home for more clothes. This time I'll have a second bag packed at home in case stay in longer.

I was induced and only had 1 paracetamol and gas and air for last 20 mins. Hoping it's as easy this time!
  • I was told to copy my list from the shopping thread onto here so here it is:

Labour bag:

1 nighty - cheap one you won't mind throwing away

Slipper socks

Lucozade/snacks or lucozade tablets

Camera/spare batteries

Phone charger

Headband

Lip balm - g&a makes your lips really dry

If you think your birth partner won't be able to swap the bags over for a while it might also be worth having in this bag:

Knickers - post birth, just get a few packs of primark cheapies that can be chucked, paper knickers are a waste of money.

Another nighty - I swore i'd wear pj's post birth because I hate nighties but honestly they are so much easier to cope with when you're in the hospital.

Maternity bra/sports bra

Maternity pads - I wore 2 at a time for the first few days overlapping in the middle, it made sitting down a bit softer.

1 vest/babygrow/hat for baby

Baby bag:

2 vests

2 babygrows

1 hat

1 pair scratch mitts

3 muslin cloths/bibs

Going home outfit

Blanket

8-10 nappies/nappy sacks

Wipes - even if you don't use them at home, cotton wool is rubbish on meconium.

Post-natal bag:

Extra nighty

2 Maternity bras

More knickers

Maternity pads - about 3 packs just in case.

Breast pads

Going home clothes

Flip flops - the showers are horrible.

Dark coloured towel - again that you don't mind chucking afterwards.

Pillow - hospital ones are rubbish but make sure you can easily identify it as yours.

Toothbrush/toothpaste

Cidal soap - I used this instead of shower gel it's antibacterial so great on your lady parts or csec wound but it doesn't dry your skin out and it smells of lemon.

Shampoo/conditioner

Deodorant

Face wipes

Hairbrush

Lansinoh cream

Arnica tablets - if you take one at the same time as your painkillers it really helps speed up healing internal bruising.

Entertainment - wards are noisy so I didn't sleep very well and I actually got really bored waiting for DS to want feeding! I'm taking a book, my iphone (free internet!) which has music on it, my portable DVD player and a comedy series. I figure I probably won't get through a whole film.

And lastly a couple of plastic bags to put dirty clothes etc in.

Think thats about it. It does look like a lot but toiletries etc can be bought in travel size so they take up less room.

Last time I had my bags packed stupidly early but with a curious toddler around and nowhere to shove the packed bags i'll have to do it later. This list is based on my labour last time, a lot of stuff taken out that I didn't touch. I don't know that i'll bother taking shampoo etc (even though I put them on my list) because the ward was so hot I felt just as scuzzy after my shower as I did before. I think i'll just stick with dry shampoo - lifesaver!
  • im gonna pack mine between 30-32 weeks and hide in my wardrobe image
  • Ruth it's just a case of keeping fingers crossed and hoping I don't get it again. Lots of people have it first time round but most don't get it second time round. My mum had it twice, but apparently she was very unlucky.
  • Ooh, good thread ESP for first timers like me.

I was planning on packing my bag at about 35 weeks. A friend of mine delivered a month premature and I'm stressing in case I won't have my bag ready in time!

Can I ask where everyone gets their maternity bras from? :? xx
  • Fingers crossed then A-Nonny-Mouse, sounds like you've a good chance of everything progressing normally image

Rachllsn3, I didn't get any maternity bras last time round & haven't yet this time - I just wore my normal ones, then got a couple of primark cheapies for sleeping in and lazing round the house. I found this fine for me, though I'm not very big on top (36B) so maybe if you are bigger you might need more support? I read something about not wearing underwired bras because they can affect milk duct development, but I never found this a problem and fed my son until 15 months. I bought my nursing bras from M&S, got measured for them at about 38 weeks I think!

• Rachllsn3 I got mine from m&s and debenhams - they were comfy enough last time, enough that I could wear them at night. Much easier to do night feeds than the crop tops I wore during pregnancy. Mothercare are supposed to be alright too.
  • i got mine from mothercare but i dont rate them

debenhams have tons on offer most of the time and u can get padded ones like normal bras as mine seem very thin and nipple shows if i get cold lol sexy times
  • Rosemary I had the *ahem* nipple problem last time but I found that breast pads worked pretty well. It doesn't matter so much this time because i'm nearly always in a baggy jumper.
  • This thread is good but hearing about everyone's births is terrifying! I'm a first timer and I had no idea how much stuff I had to take with me; my moms birth was unexpected as she wasn't aware she was pregnant so she had nothing with her! As she is my main source of advise I suppose I didn't realise I would need quite that much!

It's nice hearing about everyone's births, I wasn't aware of how many water births go on - my midwife has talked to me at all about the birth yet! I was expecting to get most of my knowledge from NCT antenatal classes but we can't afford them now (v.expensive) so were lumbered with the dreaded NHS ones (I've never heard a good word about them)

I'm sure if the worst comes to the worse, my best friend lives over the road from the women's hospital so she can borrow me some bits!
  • Thanks for all the bra tips ladies! image
  • Sjw have you enquired whether you could get a discount with the NCT classes? x
  • We won't be able to cuz OH is on a good wage so our joint income I'd to high for anything and I mean anything! I personally earn pittance but that's irrelevant apparently!