Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Count The Kicks

Hi ladies,

I know it's not the nicest thing to think about but now we're at the point where we should be feeling movement I thought it would be worth putting up a link to the count the kicks campaign.

Essentially it's about monitoring your baby's movements in order to help prevent possible stillbirths. I won't put the actual statistics up because I don't want to scare anyone but as they say knowledge is power so it doesn't hurt to be informed.

Again I don't want to scare anyone or make anyone paranoid but please do look at the link.

http://countthekicks.org.uk/mumtobe/movements/

Replies

• Options
    thanks i was wondering when i needed to start counting the kicks

i was getting worried and then in ikea the baby suddenly woke up!
  • Options
    At my scan the baby was kicking like no ones business but I couldn't feel it and still can't! He's chillin out breach and is kicking into a big placenta/after birth cushion so I can't feel a thing! Boooooooo!
  • Options
    image that sucks sjw. Do you have an anterior placenta? The problem is they say to start at around 20 weeks but baby still has so much room to move about in that a lot of movement can't be felt yet. You'll feel something soon i'm sure.

• Options
    you'll feel something soon chick, xxx
  • Options
    Don't worry SJW - you will soon feel them and then you won't know what has hit you!! I have an anterior placenta this time and last time. It is annoying to start with and then a slight advantage at the end when everyone else is saying how painful the kicking is! x
  • Options
    Good post xplumduffx, really important. I had reduced movement a couple of times with my son and went to the hospital to get monitored - they were always great and there was never an actual problem but well worth it!

I was actually just speaking to my MW about this as I'd read lots of different things - from 10 kicks a day to 10 kicks an hour! She said it was about knowing their pattern and noting any changes rather than the number of actual kicks - I think this is what I did last time really, can't ever remember counting a particular number!

Hope you feel something soon Sjw!

• Options
    I am frightened now : (

I think I feel baby but not actual kicks yet. My placenta acting as a cushion.

I will be totally paranoid until the end. My midwife will get fed up of me I am sure.
  • Options
    dont be worried hun, its normal with no1 not to feel anything till 20 weeks plus, dont worry too much yet.

i didnt feel my no1 till gone 22 weeks as my placenta was funny and also my baby was very lazy!

plus mw's are paid to listen and care, dont feel bad for asking anything anytime xxx
  • Options
    I feel our little one move a fair amount over the weekend she was going nuts at about 6am I could see my belly moving. I think its more about the patterns and just knowing what is normal for your baby as all are different. Ordered a count the kick band not sure how it works but we'll see lol