Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Real bad lower back pain

Hi ladies,

I'm really struggling at the moment. image I'm 22 weeks today and for the past week I've had really bad lower back pain and hip pain on my right side. It's getting worse and worse each day, almost to the point of crying today when I was trying to walk from one lesson to another at school. Sometimes it's a shooting pain that comes when I walk and when I bend down but other times it's like a real servere ache. I don't know how to fix it. I've had to take some paracetamol today which I don't like to do but it hurts so bad. :cry:

Has anyone else got this or any tips of things I can try to ease it? Teaching drama like this is not really do-able but I have to been in as they're already on my case as I've had 4 days off since sept and I've now got to go to the occupational health team next week.

Sorry for the moan, hopefully I'll wake up better tomorrow.Wishing you all a good rest of your week. xx

Replies

• Hi, sorry to hear you're suffering image I had pretty much the exact same thing a few weeks ago. It was especially bad when I'd been on my feet for a while, and at one point got so bad that I nearly fainted in ASDA... Awkward!

Like you I didn't want to take painkillers so I found the best thing was to lay on my left side with a microwaveable heat pad on my back. It took about 20 mins for the pain to go away but afterwards I was fine and could carry on with everything. I got my heat pad from Superdrug for about ??3 - definitely money well spent!

Hope that helps and your back starts to feel better soon image
  • Oh hun, go see your MW about your back/hip, you might need a physio referral. Don't wait until your next scheduled spot, book in for whenever she is next free even if it means more time off work, they can't argue an antenatal appt.

As for school, I am still off over not having a room. I've worked 3 weeks since September.... When you see your mw explain your work situation to her (& ham it up) - she should be able to give you a fit for work note which says you must have your own room - if she can't do that then you need to book in to see your gp asap and ask him/her for one. I think it us a good thing that you are seeing occ health - unload on them with how not having a room is affecting you both physically and emotionally - the stress it is causing you, how tired you are etc. In my experience, schools will do nothing unless they're forced.

Let us know how you get on & please phone for an appt this morning!

Xxx
  • i second that, see ur MW and she can help u get physio. I am doing the same thing, im in agony when i walk image

i thought it was sciatica but it hurts so bad i dont think it is anymore.

in the mean time i use a hot water bottle to ease the pain when im home.
  • Thanks ladies.

I had a mw appointment on Wednesday after the pain was so so bad on Tuesday that I was almost crying at work. image

Luckily I saw the better of the 2 mw's at my practice and she was really nice. She did say it's a bit early to be getting this kind of pain but could see how upset it was making me and has said she'll call the aromotherapy physio team at the hospital to see if they will see me. In the mean time, I just have to try and keep moving, she's given me so exercises to do which are sort of helping but did say to go back and see the gp if it gets worse.

Today I've got my consultant appointment at the hospital with the rheumatology (sp?) doc so I will talk it through with him too. I don't know how I'm going to last until 36 weeks at this rate. image

How are you all feeling now? Has your pain gone now mrs Ferret? I was thinking that about the heat pack but wasn't sure if you are allowed it?

I hope your pain is easing Rosemary. When will you see the physio?

Sadly, I'm not surprised that your school are still dragging their heals Ruth. I totally agree that school's it seems won't do anything unless they're pushed to do it. I hope it gets resolved soon. If not, just treat it as early maternity. School is very stressful and I do wonder what impact it is having on our little girl.

Right, I best get going or I'll miss my bus and train. Yay it's Friday and that means almost the weekend! Keep smiling ladies. xx
  • GC from DIF2012,

Have you ladies heard of SPD or PGP? SPD is located mainly around the front of the pelvis but PGP is all around, causing problems like weight bearing on one leg or moving in bed and walking long distances etc. Its so much more common than I realised. I had it from 33ish weeks with my DS and from 26 with this pregnancy, I am using crutches to get around the shops etc because I cannot weight bare for long, I struggle like a little old lady trying to get from the sofa to the kitchen etc, You can get a prescription for Co-codamol but for me they were great at first but now they hardly take the edge off anymore, rest and no unnecessary movement helps but this is almost near impossible..rough ride it out girls unless you have a hubby who can take the next 3 months full paid leave and will weight on you hand and foot lol.

xx
  • image it's miserable isn't it? Can you make an appointment to see your GP or mw about it? They might be able to refer you to physio or something.

I've got a horrible pain in my buttock which was funny at first (literal pain in the bum!) but I now have days where I can hardly walk it's so painful. I had it before I was pregnant but it's definately getting worse. I've made an appointment to see my mw but from what i've heard most of the time you get told that you're pregnant so you just need to put up with it. When I went to my GP he fobbed me off saying 'well it might get worse in pregnancy it might get better'. So yeah, really helpful.
  • Hi ladies,

I had my appointment on Friday and they seemed quite concerned as obviously this is early to be getting this kind of pain with a first pregnancy although the consultant did say she think it is pregnancy related rather than lupus/antibody related. They are referring me to their physio team too but I don't know whether I'm going to be able to go to it or not.

I have had an appointment come through, well a phone call from one of the physio midwives on Friday afternoon and the earlist appointment they can give me before Christmas is 16th Dec at either 10am or 11am. This is our last day at school and it's a training day. So I said I'll have the first one so I can get back in to school. I've filled in the request form for absence today only to be told that it's a half day so it's not worth going back in. This was from my senior leadership team line manager. At the end of the day, I was called into the office of the Business manager to be told that the headteacher is not willing to sign it as she wants me to get an appointment during the following week, the one before Christmas. If I can't do that, I need to make it later in the day. I explained that I can try to call them back and ask for the 11am appointment but that still means I will have to leave by 9.30 as I do not drive, it takes almost 2 hours on buses to get from my school to the hospital, with a 1 hour and 15 minute journey to get there in the first place. Hubby is not really happy for me to have to do this, especially as it's a training day so it's not impacting students. However, I will do this if it's what it takes.

I'm just not happy with the way I have been made to feel over this appointment and my pregnancy in general. It was even suggested that I could just try and get a cancellation but I'm not prepared to risk that and potentially not get an appointment at all! Apparently, I've already had quite a lot of time of for pregancy,(4 day's sick and the rest have been for appointments which where ever possible I've got them out of school hours/with least impact on covering my classes) Does anyone know where I stand if the head still doesn't want to sign my form to agree my absence for the appointment? I don't feel like I'm being treated fairly or equally to the other drama teacher who is only a week infront me and has had 2 days sick but not been referred to occupational health or had a risk assessment. It's really starting to get me down when I'm working so hard at school with extra clubs and rehearsals for the Christmas show.

Sorry for the rant and moan. image
  • Starangels if I were you I wouldnt let them put you off going especially when you sound like you are in agony. Its not like a routine appointment that wouldnt make much difference to change. You could try and get the later appointment but like you said you'll have to leave at 9.30 anyway.

Regarding the time off you've had sick they cant count it towards your normal sick leave when you're pregnant anyway. If it gets too bad, get a sick note then they'll see how much in pain you are.

I'm sure other teachers will be able to give you more advice on where you stand though xx
  • What complete b*stards. They've no right at all to refuse - they have to give you time off for any antenatal appts. I'm annoyed for you! Its hard because I know exactly what schools are like and sometimes it is best to try and not rock the boat but personally I wouldn't be able to take how they're treating you. I would ring your union just to check 100% where you stand and ask for their advice on what to do - it's obviously all totally confidential so the school wouldn't know youd spoken to them unless you choose to involve them. Another option open to you is going to see your gp & saying that you are in too much pain or that you are very stressed about the whole situation & asking to be signed off until the appt. Or you could go and see your head, explain how long it has taken you to get the appt, how urgent it is that you keep the appt & that you have tried to rebook (LIE!), but the next appt is in the new yr and you can't wait until then. Though why on earth they would bother with you missing a flipping training day I don't know.

Let us know what happens xxx
  • Hi ladies,

Thank you so much for you replies. I have found the last 2 days really tough and was glad of the day to rest today (our school was closed due to the strike). I have since spoken with my union rep and she has said the same, that the head can't refuse although I could try to show Goodwill to the school by calling to see if it's possible to change it. Which I had said I'd do anyway although I knew there wouldn't be any point as the midwife had already said that was the only appointment.

Anyhow, I did phone the hospital today and explained the situation. They only do these appointments on a Friday, and the 16th is the last clinic until 6th Jan! So I am not cancelling it to wait until then.

When I go to occupational health tomorrow I will be explaining everything to them and take it from there. I have done a lot of research and used the Direct Gov site as well as the NASUWT but nowhere actually states how many hours you can have off, paid per week. Who decides what 'reasonable time off' actually is?

My head is indeed a bully, I do feel like I'm being singled out and treated different to the other 2 pregnant teachers at school. None of us have had risk assessments, I'm still doing my job to the full including detentions twice a week after school for kids that haven't done their homework, 2 break time duties and 2 lunchtime rehearsals for the show that we have next week. When I am off for an appointment, I spend an hour or 2 writing detailed cover for my classes so that there is minimal disruption to their learning. Half of me feels like going to the GP and saying it's too much, I can't cope and then just let them get on without me. image

Fingers crossed the occupational health team will be supportive tomorrow and write a report that tells school to buck their ideas up!

I'll try and update you all tomorrow. And thanks again. Hope you're all having a better week than me! xx