Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

24 wk midwife appointment

So, turned up yesterday with the knowledge that we listened to the heartbeat a week ago when I went to the hospital cuz I had tummy pains and that this would be a dipstick in the wee and a quick chat! '

right, Sara, now your 24wks you need to monitor the babies movement...' my reply being that I hadn't felt him yet....

A stern look of cercern came across her face.'are you sure, you know what it should feel like dont you?' I replied and then she promptly poked around my bump trying to find his heartbeat. She poked and prodded for about 5 mins - me, just about holding it together! Then some light thuds could be heard - Relief !!

Next was the panic over the movements again- she rang the day unit, the women's hospital, and a collegue for advice and finally determined that I should see a consultant!

I know deep down that it's probably just procautionary but the frustration I have is, I've told every medical professional that I've seen over the last 4 weeks that I havent felt him yet and everyone's said its fine and that the placenta is above him acting as a cushion so why was yesterday's reaction such a shocker!!! I told the hospital a week ago!!!! Argh, now I'm worried, my oh is worried and my moms a wreck!!

I know my little man is fine, but bloody Nora, she could have been a bit more professional in her reaction!!

Replies

• oh no! what a nightmare for you.

i didnt feel my first baby for a long time, she was facing the wrong way and i never got the punches and kicks ladies talked about, i didnt get movements on a regular basis till 25+ weeks

dont fret hun xxx
  • Stupid MW, no common sense. I know a couple of people whove not felt movement until 24+ weeks and I honestly don't think for a second that there is an issue. But even if there was, as you say she should've handled it an awful lot better than that.

When is your consultants appt?

Xx
  • Oh god how insensitive! A lot of women don't feel anything til the later part of second trimester, we arent all the same she should know that. Worrying you for no reason most likely. I feel my one a lot then next day not so much..depends on her mood i guess lol Dont worry hope the consultant puts you at ease x
  • Consultant did slightly put me at ease though it was a pretty useless visit all in all with them saying that they didn't know why I was there and to come back in a week for an ultrasound!

Lot of time wasting