Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Mat leave

I just want opinions on how people have felt around this time as this is my first baby. I have put in my last day at work and it works out I will be 38 weeks. Is this being to ambitious, should I change it to maybe 36 or even 35?? I know it's a personal choice, but if anyone could help on what they are doing that would be nice.

Thanks

Replies

• Options
    G/C but it will all come down to your own individual choice & how you feel (you will be carrying a lot more weight towards the end). The one thing I will say is you will notice the final weeks drag once you are on 'mat leave' especially if you go 'overdue'.
  • Options
    OOOOHHHH.... That is such a tricky question and it completely depends on how you feel and what sort of job you do! I worked till 36 weeks last time but spent the last few weeks as 4 days per week and I was completely shattered but once I had a couple of days at home alone I was completely bored and ripped out and redocorated the bathroom with my dad - so clearly I could have continued work!

This time I am leaving at 37 weeks - I only do 3 days anyway and that's only 9 weeks away!!! Eek!! But for me it was more that 37 weeks fell at the end of the month so seemed like a good place to stop! I've also been pretty ok through my 2nd trimester and into my third with no SPD or high blood pressure and I sit at a desk all day so not too much activity!!

Sorry to waffle, it really does depend on you - but I would say I was definitly fine to work till 38 weeks last time and would be this time and the longer you work the more time you have at hom with the baby not on your own!!! image
  • Options
    Hiya

This is my first baby too and I struggled with when to leave.Im due march 14th and was going to leave Feb 17th so 4 weeks early if she comes on time! But then about a month ago I started to get really tired, I dont sleep and I start work at 8 so get up around 6.30 then drive to work, I found it too much. So im leaving on Jan 31st, I'll be 34 weeks then. I want some time to myself and to see friends and go get last bits with my mum etc. My holiday runs from Jan to Dec so I am taking 3 weeks holiday then starting my mat leave in mid Feb anyway so it doesnt affect my return to work date.

• Options
    hi, im starting mine on 3rd feb, purely because im taking 2 weeks holiday first when ill be 34 weeks and then start my actual mat leave on 17th feb when ill be 36 weeks , im a full time manager in retail and start shifts from as early as 6 in the morning and can finish shifts at 9 at night so im just tired and losing all motivation for work, everyone keeps telling me to work longer but i just dont think i could , i just want to rest before baby comes to be honest!
  • Options
    Hello image

Last time I planned to start mat leave at 38 weeks but when it came down to it I left at 36 as I was exhausted. But I worked FT as a teacher so was on my feet all day and constantly juggling a million things. This time I'm leaving at 36+2 as that is when half term is, but my mat leave doesnt start till 37+6 which is a nice bonus!

The one thing I will say is that I LOVED having that time before my son arrived (@39+4), it was so nice to have "me" time & be able to read, go swimming, sleep in etc. whilst I had the chance.

Xx
  • Options
    Oooops, dbl post :roll:

• Options
    FFS! Stupid BE......
  • Options
    Grrrrrrrrr!
  • Options
    this is also my first baby and i struggled with deciding when to leave, i have booked my maternity leave starting 17th feb when i will be 35 weeks, so 5 weeks off before she is due, this sounds an awful lot but after being off for nearly 2 weeks over xmas and being back to work today i am exhausted and cannot wait for maternity leave to start now, i miss my afternoon naps! :lol:
  • Options
    Last time I went off 5 weeks early. As it happened my little boy came 2 weeks early and this felt around the right amount of time. Physically I could have carried on but I had a fab pregnancy. I think if I'd gone overdue it would have seemed like a long time having 7 weeks off when I was so good. The first 3 weeks was holiday.

This time I'm working til 37+2. hoping baby doesn't come early. Again so far I feel fab.

It's Hard to advise when you should stop. I based mine on how much annual leave I had, how I was feeling and how long I'd be on mat leave to try and make best use of time.
  • Options
    Well call me crazy but I have booked out to start my mat leave ON MY DUE DATE!
  • Options
    g/c Not sure if its the same for your work but where I work I was able to bring it forward if needs be at the time, so I said I'd start at 39 weeks but if was too tired I could start earlier, but if I had said 36 and was fine I couldn't then move it to later, so for me putting down later was better x
  • Options
    Well the way I figure it is, if I can't work they can't make me, so I guess it will come good.

If you go into labour before your official due date (and you are leaving on your due date) your mat leave will automatically me calculated from the day you gave birth anyway.... at least that's how I understand it.

I took two week off before due date last time... and then I was two weeks overdue... so at home twiddling my thumbs going totally insane for a month. Not doing that again. Rather be knackered and at work ( I only do part time anyway so not so bad)
  • Options
    Im so glad to be leaving in just under 2 weeks, today I had a really rough day, not much work to do but felt awful, back aching like mad and getting restless legs terrible this last week so that kicks in at 10am, I don't know how ppl work longer :lol: Im looking forward to catching up with friends etc whilst im off
  • Options
    I'm leaving at 38wks! I wish I'd gone for earlier though cuz I'm shattered!! image can't change it now though ...
  • Options
    I've got 5 weeks left - 15 days including today!! Seems like forever.

However. we could be moving in the next few weeks so if we do I want to go off earlier to sort out packing the house up - Has anyone gone off earlier than scheduled for any previous maternity leave? How does it work? Do I need a doctor's note?