Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weight gain

Does anyone know the recommended amount of weight you should gain through out your pregnancy?

I have always been petite, size 6/8 and this is my first baby so must admit I am struggling with the thought of having no control over my growing body. I am 30 weeks tomorrow an have so far gained about 15lbs. Midwife says that I am having a small baby, roughly 6lbs so I hope I am not putting on top much unecessary weight!

Xx

Replies

• Options
    Its 25 to 35lb if you started off at a normal weight. I had put on a stone and a half before xmas and darent weigh myself now! x
  • Options
    ive put on 9kg... which is just under 20 lbs or so?

this is from babycentre:

First and foremost, it is important to accept that you are going to put on weight during pregnancy! You are meant to. Your body is growing and changing to give your baby the best start in life.

By the time you come to give birth, you'll be carrying quite a cargo! Just over a third of your extra weight will come from your baby, the placenta and the amniotic fluid. Here are some averages to give you an idea of how much they weigh:

???????At birth, a baby weighs about 3.3kg (7.3lb).

???????The placenta, which keeps your baby nourished, weighs 0.7kg (1.5lb).

???????The amniotic fluid, which supports and cushions your baby, weighs 0.8kg (1.8lb).

But what about the other two thirds of extra weight? These can be accounted for by the changes that happen to your body while you're pregnant. Again, the figures are averages:

???????The muscle layer of your uterus (womb) grows dramatically and weighs an extra 0.9kg (2lb).

???????Your blood volume increases and weighs an extra 1.2kg (2.6lb).

???????You have extra fluid in your body weighing about 1.2kg (2.6lb).

???????Your breasts weigh an extra 0.4kg (0.9lb).

???????You'll store fat, about 4kg (8.8lb), to give you energy for breastfeeding (Murray and Hassall 2009: 214).

By the end of pregnancy you may weigh about 12.5kg (27.6lb) more than you did before you became pregnant. Remember that this is only an average weight gain. Let our pregnancy weight gain estimator work out your figures for you
  • Options
    i also weighed myself just before xmas and had put on just over a stone...don't dare get back on the scales after all the eating i did over xmas!
  • Options
    Nice to read other peoples experiences as I'm a first timer and have put on just over a stone and am 29 weeks. I was a size 8 but not worried as long as bubs is healthy! Hoping that breastfeeding will help shift some weight once baby is born too. x
  • Options
    I was concerned about weight gain a bit more this time, simply because I have been eating worse! I'm normally good with my 5 a day etc but since being pregnant I seem to want bad things! Too much temptation around Xmas time arghh!

Having said that, I actually feel alot slimmer this time around and I'm sure it's to do with having a toddler to run around after, lift etc!
  • Options
    remember, in 3rd trimester its 1lb a week... thats a lot BUT baby weighs 6-7-8-9 lbs in themselves! thats a lot!
  • Options
    I put on 2 stone and by the time my baby was a week old I only had 6lb of extra weight. That was mostly water though. You will be swollen for a little while, and your hips will be wider regardless of your weight because they have seperated in order to let the baby out. However, by the time my baby was 10 weeks old I was back in my jeans. I stopped bf at 4 weeks (didnt produce milk properly), didnt diet at all and didnt do any exercise (other than looking after a baby!!). I have always been one of those people who has to be careful when it comes to food and exercise - I could easily gain weight if I didnt watch what I ate. However, in pregnancy I was eating for my baby so didnt restrict food at all (but neither did I pig out either). I just ate what I wanted and made sure I incorperated good foods to build a healthy baby. She is now 22 weeks and I am lighter than pre pregnancy. Just eat for your baby, the weight is very temporary and will take care of itself xx
  • Options
    I am 29 weeks and have put on 12kg which is 30lb! I think by the end I will have put 3 stone on. I was a healthy 8/10 before and don't look like I have put weight on in many areas vainly bump and boobs! Face is getting a bit plump now though! I haven't been really good with food but not really bad either. I still go to the gym and yoga too. Hopefully will shift weight once my little girl is here. : )
  • Options
    I've now put on 2 stone. That means I have 11 weeks where I can only gain half a stone! I did put 3 stone on with my daughter though so we'll see what happens!
  • Options
    hi ladies,

I have put on just over 1.5 stone in the pregnancy and am just over 31 weeks. Great thing is though I don't think any of it has gone to me, some on my boobs and 2 cup sizes bigger and top of thighs but nothing on the face etc, I still wear size 10 mat clothes so not really noticing it.

Don't forget there is water, placenta, baby, blood, uterus that can weigh 18lbs or more and its not the same for everyone. i think as long as you eat a varied diet then each person is different and as long as its not just eating rubbish all the time it will be fine x