Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Suspended from work on 'Medical Grounds'

Hi ladies, how are you all doing? Happy new year to everyone! Hope you had a lovely Christmas!

Well today is the first day of my maternity leave! I was suspended on Wednesday afternoon from work on 'Medical Grounds' but I was allowed to go in yesterday to try and sort some final bits and pieces out so today is my first official day off. I didn't want to leave like this, and am only 28+3 so have a while to go but my headteacher was not prepared to let me stay. So I am now off on full pay until my maternity leave starts at 36 weeks on 28th Feb. I know I shouldn't be upset about this but I am upset with the way it was done.

The main reason why she wants me out is so I can't cause any more ripples. I had to get my union involved because of how stressed and difficult they were making it for me to get time off for my appointments. The school had sent me to occupational health which I had agreed to. The registrar there had said I was fit to work and that there was no need to make any contractual changes. They had asked him to let them know if there were any adjustments they should consider to make things easier for me to which he stated a few simple things that were do-able but she wouldn't even consider in the meeting and just said that it's best all round to go for the suspension. It's a neutral act apparently and will not be held against me but it's still rubbish and unfair as fair as I can see. It was more about the fact they hadn't done things as they should have during the pregnancy, like a risk assessment etc.

Anyhow, that's enough of me moaning. I am already enjoying the fact that I can rest when I want, sleep when I want and know I will be greatful for the extra time to prepare before our little girl is born. Hope you're all ok and having a good time in this last trimester! Not long to go now! xx

Replies

• Hello image

Your head sounds ridiculous, how daft to make your life so difficult in the first place. I TOTALLY sympathise, I think we've talked about this before but I'm a 2ndry teacher and have had massive work problems. I've not been in since mid-Oct and got my union involved too - NASUWT, they've not been great. I've now forced the issue and they are sending me to see an occy health person. But I'm waiting on the appt and finish at Feb half term so only have 4 weeks left anyway.

Schools are ridiculous, all that money on both of our needless supply, what a waste!

Xx
  • Thanks for the replies ladies.

I am grateful for the fact that the time has been given with full pay but then I knew that they couldn't do it any otherway as the law says work places can only force maternity leave to start at 36 weeks. I have to say this week it has really hit me, the tiredness that is so I am pleased I can have rests when I want them. I am still doing work from home but at least am now doing it at my own pace.

When is your appointment Ruth? I know what you mean about it being a bit of a waste of time now. My appointment to see Occ. health took almost 5 weeks to come through and then the report another 3 so I'll be surprised if you get back to school to be honest. I do agree it's such a waste of money but then we have to put ourselves and our babies first as in the end that's what matters most of all.

How have you been filling your time? xx