Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012

Where to go!

Hello ladies, hope your all well.

Have been thinking more about where to give birth and wondered if anyone else had made a decision.

Local to us we have a birth centre 20 mins in one direction and a hospital delivery ward about 20 mins in the other direction.

I think I would prefer the birth centre for the relaxed atmosphere, one on one care etc, but they don't offer the hard drugs that the hospital does! And obviously as a first timer I've no idea how I'll cope with the pain etc so maybe I'd be best at the hospital.

Ooh I don't know!! Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks

xxx

Replies

• oooh hard one!

our hosp is 25 mins away from us... but another 10 or so mins is the lovely mw lead unit in the new forest. I never made it to the mw lead one as they said it wasnt open for admissions at 4am... much to my dismay!! i ended up having her in the mw lead unit at the maternity hosp, it was great in the end. I didnt have any pain relief to my own surprise, i used the water pool.

find out what ur hosp do, do they offer pool? mw lead service? you never know, sometimes they offer a home from home like service at the hosps.

xxx
  • I'm the same as rosemary. I had my first at the mw led ward at the hospital. Luckily all went to plan and I had an easy birth and would have coped physically at the birthing centre (which is lovely) but I didn't know how things would pan out and felt more at ease knowing if something went wrong or needed more pain relief then it was just a lift away rather than needing to be blue lighted in an ambulance to the hospital.

Does the hospital have a mw led ward/pools etc? You need to feel comfortable and relaxed that you made the right decision. Have you visited both? If not it may be worth having a look around to help.

• I've booked to look round the birth centre and I'll book to look round the hospital as well (I wasn't sure if you can look round a few places.) The midwife seems to be keen on 'selling' the birth centre to me, but I think like you say for my own peace of mind I should look at the hospital as well, maybe if they do have a midwife led but it could be the best of both worlds.

Atleast that's a bit of a decision I've made, to look at them both then decide! Thanks for the advice,

xxx
  • I'm in the same boat. Cant decide on hospital or midwife led unit. Im pretty sure I want to go to the MLU and have a water birth because it sounds lovely (still need to have a look around) and the hospital don't do tours but I'm scared about the fact they dont offer epidurals! I had one last time and always said I would again because I'm such a wuss with pain!

I dont want to wimp out though so Im going to go with the MLU unless fate intervenes and I need to be induced in which case it will be the hospital! xx
  • im going with my hospital MLU (obviously unless some complications arise) and aiming for a water birth as going to try and go with just gas/air if needed and nothing else. Being my first have no idea what to expect but just have to go with it, had a tour and was happy with the relaxed atmosphere there, didnt feel like you were in a hospital.
  • I really wnat the MLU, there was no room last time so I ended up delivering on labour ward but my wonderful midwife moved me there after. I am lucky as ours is at the same hospital only downside has limited space.

Fingers crossed this time around we can go there for the birth xx
  • I've just been for a look around my hospital. There is a birthing centre on one floor and a delivery suite on another. I would like to go to the birthing centre and use the pool but as others have said...you don't know what it going to happen. But at least if needed I can be moved to the floor below for more intervention.

Feel ok but now beginning to freak out a bit because it is actually real and will actually be happening to me soon! :?
  • Definitely have a look around both and see what you and your OH feel. That's really tough, my MWL unit is part of the hospital so labour & delivery is right next door - I've never considered it being any other way. If the hospital has nice birthing suites, birthing pools etc then I personally would go for that xx
  • I think what the ladies above have suggested makes sense. You are all pretty lucky in that you have a choice. Unfortunately due to various conditions I have, I have been told outright from day 1 that I will not be allowed a water birth or MLU as am consultant led throughout pregnancy. The MLU is part of the same hospital so if I had been given the choice I would have probably gone for that knowing that I am so close to the main delivery and labour ward if I needed to be moved.

Good luck with your tours and let us know what you decide. image