Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012

Umbilical cord blood donation

Hi ladies,

I saw this on Daybreak this week and though it was fantastci and why has nobody told me about it?!

Apparantly you can donate your umbilical cord blood to be frozen and used to help with things like Lukeimia. It is full of red and white blood cells, platelets and stem cells which are good for regenerative medicine apparently.

It is not at all invasive - they take your placenta and cord away and dispose of it anyway (unless you want to keep it of course) so it seems like a logical thing to do.

Please ask your midwives about this as I will be - we could be helping to save lives.

Replies

• This is fantastic, I've never heard of this either. How do you go about donating?

xx
  • Not sure. I am going to ask my midwife about it. Perhaps they put it on your notes. But as I said before...really it should be mentioned to all mums because unttil I watched daybreak I knew nothing about it. X
  • my hosp refuse to do this image

theyre against medical science from cells or something? very annoying.
  • That sounds really interesting, will ask my MW on Friday. Unless I decide to take the whole thing home for a super-smoothie image

• this is really interesting, i never knew anything about it! will deff ask my midwife when i next see her how i go about donating...as they are just chucking it away anyway whats the harm?