Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012

Cot advice pleeeease!

Hi ladies

I am looking at cotbeds at the moment and not really sure what to get.

Has anyone bought a cot or cot bed that they really like or got any advice. E.g. Are drop down sides useful or a pain?

Also has anyone bought from any shops or websites that were good and had fast delivery- am panicking that I have left it too late now image

Help! xx

Replies

• We haven't organised anything yet either but to be fair unless you want to be mega organised and just enjoying looking at your finished nursery before the baby gets here i don't think its really that necessary (although i had it all done by 30 weeks last time!!! imageimage)

We got our DD Cotbed from toys r us last time - and its actually BRILLIANT quality and i could not fault it. Infact, we're going to get the next one from there too; and they deliver within a week or so.

I would say def get a cot bed - For our DD its been perfect as she is still in her "bed" but without the sides on - i think its all a bit daunting when the sides come off, they;re alot more exposed and probably feel a lot less secure but at least they're not in a completely new bed too!!!! Also they are not that much more expensive than just a cot but you can use them till they're around 5 not 1!!!

We don't have a drop side - i don't know if they do cotbeds with drop downs but we haven't missed it, but as we've never had it maybe we don't know how good it could be!?!? image

Good luck picking!!! It's super fun!!
  • Thanks M2be. Think I will definitely go for a cot bed. I'll pop into toys r us this week!

Any more advice much appreciated! image
  • Hiya,

We've gone for a Cotbed too. Ours is Mama's and Papa's Eloise although we got it from E-bay and just brought a new matteress. I think it was on offer at ??150 in Argos but we ended up paying ??62 and it looks like brand new! We had trouble finding a cotbed that was in a natural wood colour as most we saw were pine, white or mahoganey and we needed something that would go with the maple coloured wardrobe and chest of drawers that we already had.

I think they are worth they money, as M2be said they can stay in them for a lot longer. Ours hasn't got dropsides either but it does have a 3 position mattress base so we've got it set to the highest one at the mo so not far to lean in whilst she's so little.

In terms of websites that are quick to deliver, we used Kiddicare for the mattress and it came the next day! image

Good luck with the shopping! x
  • Thanks Starangels. x
  • Hi, sorry for gatecrashing, just wanted to say my ds is 15 months now and is on the lowest of three levels on his cot bed which we bought from mothercare. The only problem I have is trying to lie my son down in his cot as I'm only 5ft6 so it can be tricky leaning over the side lol xx
  • My dd is still in her cot bed too. We have a John Lewis one. She is coming out of it and into a bed as soon as we've carpeted the spare room, but she still has loads of room. No drop down sides, but it does have three levels for the mattress base.
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. I have had a look at some cot beds and don't think any of them have drop down sides anyway, just the 3 levels which seems like it works well. Looking forward to choosing one now!image
  • Hi there I have a saplings cotbed for my little boy and I love it!

It's a cot bed but it does have a drop side. Personally I could not have lived without the drop side as I am really short and found it much easier getting him in and out with side dropped.

Ours turns into a day bed (it's a sleigh bed style with 'curled' sides, really pretty), so only the front comes off now he is bigger, and then when he is in a proper bed it will be used as a sofa/seating area in his room. I love it and it was really good value for money too!! We bought it online.

But as m2B says you really needn't stress too much unless u actually intend to have little one straight in the cot from day one. So you still have time to sort it all out.

Happy shopping
  • G/c from dij, saw some cotbeds in toys r us the other day on offer (think ??129) looked really substantial, had 3 position and a drop side.
  • Thanks Annika and abihylands. Some good tips for me image

Might sound like a silly question, but can you have the baby in the cot from day 1 or should they be in a moses basket or something similar?
  • Rach - whatever works best for you, you can have lo in a cot from day one, or a moses basket, or a crib. With dd we used a moses basket until she could roll most of the way over (about 12 weeks, she was small and most people don't get that much use out of a basket). Going to do the same with this one and use the moses until they don't fit or roll, whichever is the sooner, and then move to the cot bed.
  • Thanks A Nonny- so good to get advice from someone who's done it all before! x