Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

So so sad about my labour news

Had my 36 week ultrasound scan earlier today.

Basically it was supposed to be a quick in and out to check everything seem ok with baby being right way up and not super huge or anything else to complicate things. Presuming all was well I'd get the ok to go for a VBAC birth (Vaginal Birth After C-section) and I was going to go home and wait for baby to finish baking.

As it turns out, just as was the case with my boy, this one is breech too. They won't let me try for a breech birth and they won't try to help me turn baby round. So have been forced to have a scheduled c-section (6th of March as it happens).

This is NOT what I wanted. I'm so upset, totally in tears. It was so important to me to get to try for a natural birth this time. I really can't explain it but I felt totally cheated of the experience not to have given birth to my son last time round, someone else just plucked him out of me.

I know it's for the best if it is the safest thing to do. But I just can't explain how wrong it seems to me to know exactly when baby is coming. Isn't it supposed to be a surprise?

Sorry to go on. I just feel so out of control and non-involved in the birth of my own child. I was going up to the hospital today totally excited to see baby on the screen... only to leave a little later totally confused and at a loss. They were so rubbish as well, not explaining anything and not till after when we had time to think do we realise we really have no information what so ever.

Noone spoke to us properly, just in then out.

Replies

• Options
    G/C awww i feel for you. I had to have an emcs as my lo was breech and they didn't realise til I was 5 centimetres!!!

I felt robbed of actually giving birth as I was so close to pushing!

I REALLY want a natural birth if I am lucky enough to have another and will be very disappointed if i can't.

SB x
  • Options
    G/C but had to just chip in. I think that you have been treated very badly and to be told what WILL happen is very wrong. You have rights and they can't just tell you to have a c/section. I would demand an immediate appointment with your midwife and find out why you can't try for a vbac. I'm not saying disregard what they tell you and risk your baby's health but I don't see why things haven't been explained to you and choices discussed?? Sorry, I'm sounding like a vigilante but I really feel very strongly about people/patients being treated fairly. Coming from a nursing background I was always the rebellious student who questioned everything.

Please stand up for yourself, rock the boat and get some answers, you may regret not doing it. Good luck x
  • Options
    Why don't you try acupuncture? It's very successful at turning babies x
  • Options
    id seek some alternative therapies hun before writing off a natural birth

hope ur ok though, xxx
  • Options
    Such a shame Annika. 6th March is still a couple of weeks away. Can you wait and see if baby turns by then and if so, go ahead without having to have C section?

Like some of the other ladies have said, maybe you should try making a fuss and see what happens?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. x
  • Options
    i would agree, dont write it off just yet, I was told my baby was breech but now she has moved, it's my first and I was worried I wouldn't get the chance for a natural birth, some babies can turn later past 36 weeks. Check this out, a long shot but worth a go

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/breechbabies/a/breechbabies.htm

I know it isn't what you wanted and understand you are disappointed but don't give up with a few weeks to go, if the little one doesn't move then just remember you get a lovely baby at the end no matter how they come out.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for your support.

I've been told as being so far gone and carrying quite a tight/compact bump that there's only really about 4-5% chance it will turn at this late stage.

But I am spending plenty of time on all fours and doing the breech tilt, just in case. But so far I haven't felt any attempt to budge. I think he/she likes it there just fine!

If I go into labour early, or arrive for my c-section appointment and against all odds it turn out that baby HAS moved round, then I have been told that I will be given the opportunity to cancel the section and try for a natural birth. So I won't really know until the day, although it does seem unlikely.

Kind of getting used to the idea now though, and not feeling so upset about it anymore. Like you said... in the end I will still have my beautiful baby!
  • Options
    Keep us posted Annika. I have found out that my little one is breech and I'm feeling a bit sad at the idea of a c-section too. I've been spending lots of time on all fours (which hubby thinks is hilarious :lol: ) and I'm hoping baby will turn soon. x
  • Options
    I'm in for a planned section as well, due to gestational diabetes discovery at 28wks, and baby measuring 3-4wks ahead all the way through. Apparently bloody sugar spikes after 38wks naturally as placenta starts to fail, so they like to induce then, but having had a previous section, I didn't want to risk scar rupture, and consultant isn't keen on it either, so we're in for section on 13th March at 38+3.

I have to say, I'm actually relieved as was worried about scar rupture and possible very large baby getting stuck and having to have real emcs, compared to my quite calm failure to progress emcs last time. Weird as it is knowing exactly when baby is coming, my fears for a vbac now outweigh that...and really I'm just very excited to be seeing baby so soon!!

Also, tbh, I have no massive desire to give birth naturally, I tried that, it hurt!! image