Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012

Birth plan?

Hello again!

Has anyone written a birth plan? Have you shared it with your midwife and was she supportive? x

Replies

• my birth plan is fairly simple

2nd birth so i am going for either a home birth or a MW led birth in a mw centre.

pain relief, gas and air or water pool

active birth

injection for placenta

delayed cord cutting (till placenta is out)

skin to skin immediately
  • sorry g/c from april! im on number 3 now and this time after 2 difficult births all i want and dont even need to write down is an epidural and whilst im waiting for that il have gas and air! lol!! also hubby to cut the cord if there is no problems, injection for placenta, to try and avoid forceps and skin to skin contact as soon as possible. also its already in my notes but i dont want to be pressured into breast feeding, i have tried twice before and couldnt but if I decide to try then its up to me!

my midwife isnt supportive due to the fact im going to a different hosptial and doesnt hide the fact that she isnt happy about it either! every time i see her she slags them off constantly about their notes etc! my advice to anyone though is to do what you want x
  • Thanks for sharing ladies. It's nice to see what you experienced mummies are putting in your plans. x
  • I have my talk with my midwife next week. Think I am going for birth centre, (which is just another floor in hospital), pool, gas and air, active as much as poss, skin to skin, injection for placenta. I am also keeping an open mind...if I need pain relief I will have remyfentinol I think. Would like to avoid forceps so my ball constantly now and would like to avoid epidural but again I will see how it goes.

Sorry for long reply! : /
  • I'm pretty open minded about it all but will probably write something down. Hoping to go to a MLU and would like a water birth. I have a phobia of being sick so I don't know if I want the injection to expel the placenta. I think the being sick is worrying me more than the pain!
  • I wrote a really involved and precis birthplan with my boy.... then he ended up being an emergency c-section... so I don't think anyone even saw my notes. Hi hi.

Still I really would recommend writing one, partly to clear your head what you would like (it's really helpful in preparing mentally for labour, even if you can't completely follow it) and secondly if all goes to plan the midwifes really will try to keep in mind what you have said you want.

I would however, having learnt from my mistake, make it really breef. Maybe bullet point a list which is really easy for them to read quickly (you will have time to talk through your plan with your own midwife, but you might not have the time with the midwifes up the hospital and you may not have quite the precence to keep such a discussion during labour, so it has to be short and easy to understand)

But having said all that... the one thing I really wished I had done in advance would have been to talk it through much more with my partner. With him you can discuss it in detail. It will help him understand you and he might be able to help you comunicate your wants with the staff, who doesn't know you half as well as he does.

This time round I had just started writing one (much more concise and short and clear than last time) when I found put that I'm carrying breech again and that they won't let me try for a natural birth. So that kind of means most of it's out the window anyway. But I have been told to have a think about it and maybe make a little list as you can still have some views and a fair bit of say for how you'd like your c-section as well. So I will have a little rethink.
  • Thanks everyone!

I think I'll definitely be writing down my plan just to get the ideas in my head, but will try to keep it brief. Good advice about discussing with hubs so that he can communicate for me when I am scamming in agony!! image

@Annika, when I went to the midwife last week, my little one was breech so I have a feeling my plan might go out the window too. Will be a bit sad if I have to have a c- section, but as long as the baby is healthy, then birth plans and c- sections don't matter! image
  • nice to hear what the experience ladies had to say, I just wrote a really basic one from cow and gate website, it's only one A4 sheet and covers the main things like placenta, pain relief, cord cutting etc so will take that but I'm keeping open minded as like you all say you just don't know what will happen.