Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in March 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

names

Just been thinking about names . Know we have a long time yet to think of them but I'm finding we keep going back to same 3 girls names Ruby , Daisy and Holly. Boys I m finding harder and hubby not so keen on some of mine only one we agree on so far is jake.

I do love name Ruby though and would maybe call baby girl Ruby ann as our mothers both have ann in thier name. But concerned at how popular Ruby is. Mine name was super popular and even though I do love my name (could be lot worse) when I was younger I hated how popular it was. It didn't bother me so much. 

Do you care how popular your name choices are ? Would it stop you using a name you loved ? Weird as I'm type person that never follows fashion and like sto be little different when I do things but hard not to want to use name you love .

Replies

• Hi

Gate crashing from due in April

I'm abit like that about names, I don't want a name that everybody has, but I don't want something too out there and usual, I know one little girl called ruby mae , but she's actually a friend of a friends little girl and doesn't even live in UK, so think you might be OK with ruby not being too popular, Sophie seems to be the name of the moment, my little boy has 5 Sophie's in his Playgroup class,

Our son is called Jamie,

Girls names we have are: abbie, grace or kacie

Boys names I like are: Daniel, alex and Owen

Boys names my OH likes: none!

We find it hard to agree too, but I do think its important go come up with a name together, but if that fails then he had been advised that come the birth I get to make final decision cos I will have done all the hard work x
  • Oh MarieB, I love Sophie for a girl, but I am a bit put off by its popularity.  My name is Katherine and I was in a class of 5 Katherines (all spelt differently!) at school.  Its not the end of the world, but annoying all the same. 

Our other names for a girl are Clara, Eleanor or Elsa.  What does everyone think?  For a boy, we are struggling.  Perhaps Sebastian, Stefan or Toby - but then we already know 2 Tobys and so I'm not sure if we can use that too.  So difficult!

• I like Charlotte or Rachel. Not very modern, I know, but I like them!x
  • Nothing wrong with the traditional names mrshappy!  Charlotte and Rachel are both very pretty names. xx

• Great name choices and mrs happy I agree those names  are lovely very timeless. Like katie is name that seems to have have lasted a while as I have few friends called katie but also have had few in my nursery class recently. 

I guess I should think about how much I like it rather than how popular it is . 

I liked sebastian too but hubby wasn't so fussed. Hard finding names you both agree on. Hopefully we'll know in pletny of time and won;';t have any baby's named baby boy or baby girl lol 

• I've done a few lists but now we are waiting til the scan so we can narrow it down! There's none that we both love though.

Kind of off topic of names at the moment as my hubby's grandad passed away recently, and after the funeral he said he'd like the baby to have his name as a middle name. I didn;t get drawn into it, as it was a difficult time for him, but I don't agree, and gonna find it hard if he pushes for it. Please tell me if i'm being unreasonable but:

a - our first baby doesn't have a middle name because we both agreed it wasn't necessary, so i don't feel number 2 should be treated differently

b - i think children should have their own name, not be named after a family member

c - if we start naming after grandads then it's not fair to the rest of the family. My last one passed away earlier this year too, then there's 2 others, so unless this child has 4 names someone's always going to be left out.

Half of me's hoping for a girl now so we don't end up having the inevitable argument.

Sorry to turn this thread into a whinge!

I love the name Ruby btw, and Clara!

xxx

• Tigerlily I don't think you being unreasonable at all. If you have started leaving out middle name fair enough to follow suit. Myself and hubby have middle names and I quite like having two names but your right you don't really use it. 

Also I see where you coming from with naming thing it is true you can't name after all members. My friend gave her daughter the middle name of her nan and I think that was lovely as they were so very close but I totally see your point. I would only use name if I really liked it my grandfather called charlie and I did quite like that but hubby's gramps was Idris , not quite same sort of name. 

Maybe you will have girl anyway and hubby could see other names he like probably just because it's only just happened. Also sorry for your loss 

• Tigerlilly- completely agree with you. If we have a boy, however, we will be using my dads name as a middle name. I lost him to cancer 2years ago & it breaks my heart that he'll never get to meet his first grandchild. I don't think it should be done for grandparents tho!! Where would it end?!

If we have a girl, it will have no middle name.

Stick to your guns!x
  • We love Ruby as well and if had a girl would call her Ruby Violet (violet after my mum) and John George for a boy we think ( George after OH dad).

Already have Danielle Margaret ( Known as Elle), Abi-jo Ellen & a Ryan Erik Arthur lol. We love putting family names in our kids middle names. Some people might not agree though.

Other names i like are Anya, Lucy, Libby, Ava, Eva. molly, Ben, Gary, Jack, Reece and Jake, OH only likes Anya, Gary, Ruby and John. x
  • Help....husband likes Samson...nooooo!

• We've already got a William James, and we like Henry George if it's a boy and Abigail Hannah if it's a girl. We're not finding out at the scan so will have to wait until he/she is born.

x

• I want cain for a boy.  its my maiden name.  might sound daft but i've always loved it and even growing up i used to say if i ever get married and have a boy i'd name him cain.  not sure about middle names i don't really like them but oh wants middle names.  he said peter after my dad who died but then he also wants john after his granda i can't be doing with giving it loads of middle names after family members.  so might persuade him to stick with one name.

pretty stumped for girls names.  can't even think of any.  I liked mia but oh friend is due a girl just before me and shes said shes calling her mia, i liked keira but when i mentioned it to a friend who was pregnant at the time as this was before i got pregnant she said she liked it and pinched it, so thats them out the window. oh likes connie after his gran which i do like but the thing is we already called the cat connie so can't have a cat and a child called connie thats just daft lol. 

• My friend had 3 gils. Poppy, Millie and Gracie

I quite like patrice, Brierny and Maleanie and Oscar or Bille for a boy

• We've decided on Lily Rosemary for a girl and either Jack or James for a boy.  Possibly Jack James.  

I also like Jennifer, Grace, Isabelle, Jessica and Kate, Oliver, Thomas (but my friend called her little boy that) and Josh. 

• We chose Aoif?? for DD1, which is the Irish/Gaelic version of Eva & found out we're expecting another little girl, so decided to stick with the Irish/Gaelic theme, was a choice of Caoimh??, Eny??, Lil??h or Ain?? & we went with Lil??h as we thought it went well with Aoif??. This name is linked with Lil?? which is Lily. X
  • We could only agree on our boys list last time, even though I had a wobble and he didnt get offically named for 5 days. He is Alexander James (nn Alex), which has a family connection on both sides, which we like to have if possible

We werent getting anywhere on discussing anmes, so I put my shortlist on the cupboard door (i'm allowed to shortlist as hubby shortlisted Alex last time) and just let hubby mull them over image

For boys, we have two current front runners - Harrison Thomas (nn Harry) and Elliot William (poss nn Leo) - again there is a family connection in the middle name

For girls. we have just one, so my hubby better not change his mind!! - Emilia Rae (nn undecided but many options) - no family connection though