Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in March 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Didn't get any help from for, what can I do about it?

Hi, I'm new on here.

I'm 29 weeks pragnant and just started my maternity leave.

Been working in food factory as a packer on 12h night shift (4on/4off shift)  from 4 months been asking for some help like a chair or safety shoes and never get any of them. Never had risk assessment done and no one ever has spoken with me about my pregnancy. Ppl was getting upset with me that I'm not working like everyone in my last few weeks before maternity and no one was talking to me anymore. They was expecting me to do heavy lifting and be on the table packing heavy boxes and pushing on my stomach but for the last few weeks I refused to do it and been doing whatever I could but usually been on my feet all the time.

It was very hard for me, and I'm not been able to work everyday coz I been in pain but ppl was thinking that I'm just using some stupid excuses just so I dont have to work.

Please help me, I dont know what can I do about it, I'm very upset with that and feel very depressed after all that.

I'm not english thats why I dont really know what can I do about it.

Thanks

Sandra

Replies

• Sorry for the mistake I have just noticed, should be I DIDN'T GET ANY HELP FROM WORK, WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT?

• Hi Sandra it's a shame you have started your mat leave as I would have said get signed off sick. Your only other option is to raise a grievance with your manager which is basically a complaint regarding your treatment. Your employer will meet with you and hear your complaint and ask you what you how you want them to resolve it. To be honest you might find that very stressful.

Did you feel forced to go on maternity leave so early?

Choccie
  • Maybe you can contact your local citizens advice bureau and thay might be able to give you some assistance. X
  • Sorry I'm gatecrashing from Due in Feb but I'm a recruitment manager for warehouse operatives (picking and packing).

In our warehouse all pregnant women have to have a thorough risk assessment and are immediately placed onto light duties in the office or canteen. Only when there are no alternatives should you be asked to take early maternity leave.

There is no you should have been left working on the factory floor until this stage of your pregnancy.

If you call Acas they can help you with employment rights (I use them all the time, so very helpful). The number is 08457 47 47 47

Feel free to PM me if you need any further help

Xx