Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Weaning

I have started weaning my little man as he was just not satisfied on milk.

I have been giving him baby rice in the morn then blended veg early afternoon and he is so much happier.

Anyone got any ideas on what types of meals to give him

I tried carrot and sweet potatoe

Do you give you little ones puddings?

Take care

Ps lets keep this forum going x

Replies

• Heya image

my husband is a bit reluctant to start weaning Zaki, but i manage to give Zaki weetabix with half his milk from a bottle or cerelac which is baby porridge... they say its for 6months+ but i dont believe it as they have nothing for 3+ months... but hey lol...
    im going to start pureeing stuff like veg and potato soon though with lots of gravy :P
  • I havent tried weetabix I just give him baby rice mixed with formula and pureed apple for breakfast.
    Most things say from 6months its only coz they dont reccomend you start earlier.

I would buy gravy with Low salt tho just incase coz you have to be careful not to let them have too much salt but that sounds yummy
  • I started weaning a couple of weeks ago and he's a different baby!

I've been giving rice or rusk around 10 am and some cauliflower puree at dinner time, about 5pm.

Next week I'm going to try carrots for dinner. We're both really enjoying weaning so far!!I think it's doing him good, because he rolled today, I'm convinced the cauli has given him super strenght!!xx
  • I started weaning Jamie a couple of weeks ago and he is already on 3 meals a day, was going to do it slowly but he was still so hungry that I tried him with a 3rd meal. Most baby foods are from 4mth on the box I give Jamie C & G banana porridge for breakfast. The rest I make myself , I've been giving him just vegetables but have introduced chicken into his meals now. Heinz do baby beef and veg stocks which can help you to keep the salt content down.
    Think 6 mth is a just a guideline I weaned my daughter at 4 mths as well. Nobody knows a baby like its mum and if you think you're baby is ready and that they're hungry then go for itxxx
  • Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering at what age you started weaning your babies?
    Archie is 3 1/2 months and we thought we would try him on babyrice at 4 months but how do you know when they are ready for more than just milk-sorry if it is a really daft question but our hv are no good and just say weaning shouldnt start until 6months at the very earliest!?!?!?!

thanks

sam and archie
  • Does he seem unsatisifed by his feeds? I put Jamie on the hungrier baby stuff and he still wasn't going more than 2 hours without trying for a feed. I tried giving him more milk but he just threw it up. Also they start to notice you eating my daughter used to stare at us when we ate as if she wanted some.
    Honestly its not a cliche but you will instinctively know if he isn't satisfied with just milk as for the 6mth stuff my sister has 3 kids the eldest is 15 and the guidelines then were 3 mths, her youngest is 6 and it had changed to 4 mths so how do you know which is right? Like I said in my post mum knows her baby best and if you feel he isn't happy try him. If he doesn't want it he'll spit it out or close his mouth xx
  • Thanks for your reply, I think i am going to try Archie on babyrice in the next few days as although he will go atleast 4 hours between feeds and take 6-7oz he doesnt seem interested and always knocks the bottle out of his mouth with his hands. Alos he brings quite a lot og it back up-and this still happens up to 3hrs later so maybe weaning him will help with this????
    xxx
  • Yeah it will with my daughter the doctor gave me infant gaviscon at first and then when that didn't help he suggested starting weaning, which really settled it downxx
  • i havent started yet and ciara has just turned 4 months. my hv said to try and wait till 5 because she is still satisfied with 3 hourly milk feeds..she is starting to take an interest in foods and watches me eat. Will probably introduce some baby rice in the next few weeks. Ciara is a very sicky baby so im hoping that will settle down once we start weaning.
  • Logan is loving weaning although he wont have carrot. He loves sweet potatoe. Sounds like everyones babies are starting to get to the same stage. Hope everyone is getting on well.

Fogot to say my baby has not been sick since I weaned him.
  • I'm thinking of starting to wean oliver in the next few weeks. he seems to be more and more unsatisfied with breast feeds even when i feed both sides, and is getting more whingy (although i think this is a combination of teething as well)

So do you think it's best to try him with a bit of baby rice first? which meal is best to introduce first?
  • Definitly baby rice as the taste isn't too different for them, and then maybe a rusk crushed in formula. After that I introduced baby porridge and then veggies but do one at a time in case he has allergies and then its easier to find out to what x
  • morgans 16 weeks and shes breastfeeding every 2 - 3 hours in the day n sleeps from 9pm ish til 7am ish ... and seems happy so im in no rush to wean her..................i just been reading about baby led weaning ??? wot u girls think about it if u been breastfeeding???
  • i have the annabell karmel weaning guide its brilliant and would highly recomend it. saying that lola-mae wont swallow anything lol but just gnna wait a couple more weeks
    xx
  • Oh my god i am so glad to be reading this topic as i am having a struggle deciding whether to wean my lo or not. My lo is 15 weeks old and is so not fussed by milk, although he cries for food and can't go more than 3 hours and sicks it up. He is also on infant gaviscon. I am scared to start weaning because of hv advice says 6 months, but i sooo feel like it will make him a different baby. It is so great to read sobroody and mcgillair that your babiess are like new ones now they are on some solids. Mine is soooo grumpy even after a feed, so i really don't think he is ever satisifed! AM seeing dr tomorrow about his sickiness so might see what he says then and maybe try some baby rice!

Thanks again for such a good topic xx
  • I don't know what to do with weaning yet. Ella is 15 weeks old and seems to be showing interest in our food when we're eating. She is satisfied with having 7oz bottles every 3 hours and sleeps 12 hours through the night so would really like to hold off a bit longer before having to wean her. It doesn't help that there is so much conflicting information out there.

xx
  • I hope that you guys will forgive me for posting this, but I think it is quite important. I started weaning at 5 months because of refulx, and this freaked me out a bit because of allergies in my family. It is something posted on the Netmums boards:

" These posts have been copied from an existing thread in order to make the information more accessible to members however if you do have a few minutes spare, please take the time to read the whole thread which can be found here: Weaning at 4 Months - Shall I or not ? Some Advice Please

Hopefully this will clear up some of the confusion over what the 4-6 months bit means.

The guidelines for weaning changed to 6 months several years ago (not recently, last year etc as some people have been stating). As with all these guidelines there is a lot of research and science etc behind them yet all the accompanying research etc and so reasoning behind it isn't given out to everyone automatically. - but it is available, and it is given to the medical professionals as a matter of course (some don't read it, don't take notice of it etc but it is given to them). The actual results of the research and so the reasoning behind the recomendations have always said babies will be ready for weaning between 4 and 6 months BUT (huge but . . .) there is an actual physical change in their digestive system which makes it capable of digesting solid foods. Before this change has taken place solid foods can not easily or safely be digested and so if solids are given before it happens then the baby is open to problems (many of which appear only much later in life not in baby hood). This physical change occurs at some point after 4 months but before 6 months - and there is no way of telling when it happens in any baby. So because we can not look inside our babies and see if it has occurred yet, but it is known that it will have occurred by 6 months old and that all a baby actually needs nutrionally for the first 6 months is milk, the line was drawn at 6 months and the advice put out as do not wean before 6 months without medical advice and guidance as if weaning is done before 6 months old there is a real risk that this physical change has not yet occurred.

Many of the long held signs of readiness for weaning are now known not to be true indicators of a need to wean at all as well, there are more important indicators than showing an interest in food, seemingly being hungry (food actually provides less calorific content and nutrional value than milk), etc..

Health visitors doctors etc are all meant to be trained to understand this, however the very fact that some of them give out advce that not only goes against it but is downright wrong (there are still hvs out there who will say to wean at 4 weeks old!), frequently based on their own experiences and opinions rather than medical research and fact, myths continue to be perpetuated and the true recomendations aren't getting out there properly. For instance many a hv who will tell you to wait until 6 months wont actually tell you why, or even be able to, they wont know that the actual reports do include that for some babies 4 months is okay or why this is so, and ask them how you are suppossed to tell if this physical change has occurred in your child yet and they are likely to stare at you blankly (the actual answer of course being you cant tell, hence should wait till 6 months because it will have by then, but let's see what your baby is really like and go through all the indicators, the real ones not the generations-handed-down ones and see if maybe we should consider trying some solids now if we decide that these indicators are stronger than the chance of the babies gut not being ready yet and then help mum work out whether it would be right to go ahead or not)."