Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 09

Feeding

Iv had alot of problems with feeding. I have had to change my formula brand a few times since breaast feeding didnt work out.

My baby is 7 weeks old today. Im awre its still early days but he seems to feed so iratically

On a normal day he roughly feeds

5-6am 3oz
8am 3oz
10am 3oz
1pm 5oz
4pm 5oz
6pm 2oz
8pm 2oz
9pm 2oz
10-11pm 4oz
2-3am 3oz

then back to 5-6am

Does this sound normal for a small baby. Im worried coz he feeds so often his stomach doesnt get time to rest and he is sick quite often too. He does go slightly longer if Im out but only 30mins or so.

Is anyone else in a simular boat or has been? Does it get better or do I have to do something myself to get him into a beter routine

Thanks

Replies

• Hi lovely. Is baby happy and content, gaining weight well, sleeping between feeds, poo-ing and producing wet nappies? My HV always asks me these Q's whenever I fuss over Toby's feeds as he is very much like your LO, except he takes more at his feeds than you have written and then he tends to have his last feed around 7pm, until 3am... but it does vary. I am always told Toby is doing FINE and thriving and I am to stop worrying!
    Go with what your LO wants - I am doing this with Toby and its working well. He seems to tank himself up during the day so he will sleep longer at nights.
    Good luck and well done for everything you're doing!!!
    xxx
  • Hiya, Joseph feeds pretty similarly to your lo ie would feed pretty constantly if allowed and is erratic with the amounts but my HV wants me to be mean and try and stretch him out for longer between feeds so I am offering cooled boiled water if he wants food after any less than 3 hours - doesn't always work and I give in after 2 and a half if he seems genuinely hungry, but I think sometimes he is thirsty or just wants to suck to help him fall asleep and those times it does work better. HTH M x
  • I tried to give him the water but he spits it out if I put it back in he retches on the teat. I find the only thing that helps is taking him out in the pram but Im too tired to spend my days pacing the streets around every 2hours. I do sometimes think he is comfort sucking but then he sucks so hard on the dummy he cant keep it in so Im not sure.

I do think he has morre during the day to make up for going longer at nights I just wish he would go longer at nights so im not as tired during the day
  • Sorry Jo I forgot to answer your question he is happy and content and he does have wet and dirty nappies and he is putting on nearly 1lb a week so he is definately gaining weight well. i think its best to demand feed but it does get so tiring trying to do house, feed constantly and look after my other son especially around t time. Never mind im sure they will grow out of it
  • like the others said...as long as baby is content n your getting wet n dirty nappies then its probably fine. Ciara will be 8 weeks on tuesday and until she was 6 weeks she never went over her birth weight..it went up and down but never over. ..so after hospital tests fond nothing wrong we decided that my milk simply isnt enough for her....so now she is having 4oz of formula every 3 hours plus top-ups of breastfeeding on demand through the day..we have been blessed with a supersleeper...she goes to bedaround midnight and will sleep till half6-7ish..and finally she is putting on weight!it seems like a lot but she always seems ready forit and im following drs and hv advice.

bailey b
  • Hi Sobroodynow

I am just gatecrashing from pg and was just seeing if I recognised anyone who's baby was born in May!

I have 2 little girls and I had an absolute nightmare feeding both of them. My second daughter actually seemed to feed every hour of the day so I have never had a break in between feeds.

Your baby also seems to be feeding on a very regular basis which is incredibly tiring for you, but also perfectly normal. When they are this young, they have frequent growth spurts so you can't really establish a routine this early (I certainly never could!). By about 3 months, the feeding has settled down a lot more and he will be able to take bigger quanitities at a time so the feeds will be more spread out. Their tummies are so tiny that they can only take a little bit at a time which is why they need feeding so often!

You will get there in the end, I can really sympathise with how you are feeling but you are doing a fab job and in a few weeks you will look back with a sigh of relief!

Feel free to e-mail if you ever need a chat as I know how hard this is first (and second!) time around.

Good luck
    xxxxx