Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in May 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Napping

Ok, Jax sleeps from about 8- 8.30pm until 7-8.30 am - which I'm very gratefull for!! He gets an 8oz bottle in the morning, then cereal about an hour after and usually naps for about 25/40 minutes maximum.

That is the ONLY nap he will have all day!! If we're in the car he might close this eyes for a few minutes, but his hands will still be catching things so I know he's not sleeping. He has a bottle about 12 and another at 3/4.

From then he is a nightmare! He won't sleep, he wont eat, he doesn't want cuddled, he's not interested in any of his toys, the T.V. or npt even a walk around the house or garden will distract him. It's heartbreaking because he's normally such a happy sole and has cried more the past 2 weeks than he had the 3 1/2 months previously!!

He gets dinner, usually butternut squash or some sort of veg, about 5pm and crys until bedtime, which tonight was 7pm because he was so upset and tired I couldn't hold off until 8pm to put him down. I thought it was teething, but even with Calpol, Ashtons and Parsons AND Detinox he still won't nap!! He used to be great at sleeping during the day!

Any advice? Could he be needing solids at lunch time? He's a big boy, over 20lbs now. I've also tried putting him into his cot to sleep, cuddling in on my bed, I know he's be happier if he would just stop fighting sleep during the day!!xx

Replies

• Options
    How long has he been weaned? It took 3 weeks to get my daughter on 3 meals a day but only took Jamie a week and half he just wasn't satisfied and like your lad he is a big boy.
    That is a big sleep your little man is having at night so maybe he just isn't tired through the day. Jamie only has about 20mins in the morning and same in the afternoon more like catnaps if anything. Try with the dinner and see how he goes it might be just a stubborn phase he's going through. Jamie has screamed the house down from the word go and is getting a little better but there seems to be absolutely no reason for it and nothing can console him when he goes on one, I've been to the docs countless times and they have said there is nothing wrong. Its not what you want to hear but I have accepted that this is just the way he is for now and there isn't anything I can do about it . Hopefully this is a just a temporary thing for you and he'll get back to being the way he was before just as quickly as he changed. Sorry I can't be more helpful xx
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply!

I tried him with lunch today and he was great, but we were out so he didn't really get the chance to complain/moan and slept quite a bit in the car and in his pushchair. Maybe it is just a phase, hopefully get him on three meals and if it makes no difference, I'll just have to ride out the phase. :roll:
  • Options
    Hi hope things have improved for you. My little man also has very little sleep in the day but he sleeps from 9pm til 7am so i cant complain. he screams around t time too but now I give him a bath around 6 then a bottle and he will usually sleep for 20mins then he wakes up happy til bedtime. He is 19lbs and is on 3 meals a day now. take care x
  • Options
    Thanks Sobroodynow, unfortunatley he's got worse!! He's not settling until well after 11pm and waking up at 6am - still a good amount of time for some, but a killer when your used to later mronings! He's moaning the now, but I've just had to walk away - he's relentless.

He's now getting 3 meals, HV thought reflux might be the cause of his upset, but the Gaviscon doesn't seem to be helping (and he doesn't have any reflux symptoms!!) I'm getting to the end of my tether tbh, but I suppose babies can be a challenge sometimes!!xx