Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 09

What classes/groups have you been to so far with lo?

I have only just started as I kept chickening out and to be honest wasn't to sure where to go, I have met other friends with babies and do lots of things through the day to keep him stimulated but I decided he should 'make some friends' :lol:

Went today and decided to sign up (not just for him but perhaps for some adult conversation for me?!?!)

Any recommendations for any?

Replies

• I had the same fear!! I did ring them and speak to someone but I still drove there a few days earlier to check it was in a nice area and that it actually had people going to it!!

After today I would say don't let your first attempt put you off and keep looking for somewhere. (I too found mine off netmums) x
  • Honestly, it's not half as scary as you think!!

I was house bound for about 6 weeks after Jax was born so jumped at the chance to go to baby clubs, our week goes:

Monday 9.15 Pram walk
    Monday 1pm Baby Massage
    Tuesday 12.45 Lunch Club
    Wednesday 10am Mother and Baby

(I'm lost Thursday and Friday!)

I love them! I can't say I've made any friends yet, but getting to know people and recognising them about town and saying 'hello' makes such a difference. You might find they're a bit clicky, but I just involve myself in conversations and take an interest in how their kids are doing. Go along and see how like it.

Nothing venture nothing gained!xx
  • awww i like going to do things with my Lo , i hate staying in.
    I go out everyday with Morgan to take my dog out watever the weather.
    we go to waterbaby classes on wednesdays , i take morgan swimming on fridays too she loves it!

we go to mum n baby groups on different days at the moment i cant seem to find a good one (everyone seems older with older babies)

i meet my friend who has a baby (she had her a week before me) on fridays

and on the weekends i try and see my friends who work during the week...

i have no idea how i am going to fit in going back to work with this busy lifestyle haha!!!
  • I went to my first mother and toddler group yesterday and it was awful. Not one person spoke to me or even smiled in our direction. You would think the other mothers would remember how terrifying it was for them the first time but it appeared not. I really tried to mix with some of them and be friendly but it was all for nothing. My OH wants me to keep trying but I'm in no rush to go back again. Not sure what to try next - I live near a small town so the chances are, it's the same people I would see if I tried another activity.

What on earth should I try next?? I hate feeling like I'm stuck at home and would love to meet other mums. None of my friends have any kids yet so they don't really 'get' it. Help me!! (didn't mean to turn this into a moan!!)

xx
  • BOOOOOOOO you mentioned the word work :cry:

I still have quite a while off yet and I am dreading it now. Always thought I would be itching to go back but I am getting the hang of this motherhood lark ;\)
  • Oh Shons, try not to let it bother you too much. Women can be like this unfortunately. Is there another one nearby you could try? (although, I find that it's all the same people that go to these groups)

I would just keep going until someone spoke to me! But I'm just like that (and I think I've toughened up a bit since having Lo) Sorry, no real advice!xx
  • I had the same experience as Shons 8 years ago when I had my firstt lo - and I'm not looking forward to experiencing it again when I try Mother and Toddler with this lo.

We have found a singing class in our area (on Netmums) called Melody Minis - it's a singing class for 0-2 year olds and we've been twice and my lo absolutely loves it. He's too young to sing along yet, but he loves it when I move his arms and legs to do the actions to songs, and he's transfixed watching the bigger kids. It's so far the only thing I've ventured to on my own, but we enjoy it, so I think i will try another class/group soon.

xxx