Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Cleaning teeth?

Not mine, lo's lolimage

She's now got 2 bottom teeth through - not big teeth but they are through ifyswim - should I be cleaning them now or when they are completely through? (sorry if silly question!!).

Once a day or twice? I've read some do it just once a day to start with?

xx

Replies

• We started when they broke through, the one is a little visible now, the second not really but it's through. Once a day should be fine, we keep forgetting :-/ x
  • Lol, do you think it would be ok while she's having her bath, even though she then has a bottle and into bed? If I tried to do it after her bedtime bottle I think it'd liven her up again?

• My Lo has 4 teeth now and we have been "cleaning" them since the 1st one broke through the gum.

My dentist said that at this age it was more about flouride into them and helping to develop good habits. He told me to give the baby toothbrush to LO twice a day with a small smearing of baby toothpaste. As usual my LO puts it straight in his mouth and starts chwing on it ;o) I then usually finish by giving the teeth a light brush. (I do this when im washing him in the morning and bathtime at evening)

NTT xxx
  • Thank you honey and happymrsg, will start brushing them from tomorrow image Like your lo am sure it'll be easy as she chews on everything anyway! lol image x
  • We give it her as she comes out of the bath so she doesn't moan as much image x
  • We started when the first tooth broke through the gum. I do it twice a day - after the first bf in the morning and then after the final bf of the day whilst she's in bed listening to her music. Fortunatelly she doesn't seem to mind too much and still goes to sleep fine afterwards.
  • Soz I haven't read other replies but I think your meant to clean them with a flannel until they are properly through & you can get a brush round them!

My LO hasn't got hers yet - I long for the day in the hope the crabbyness & rashes will stop!
  • Was going to start doing it tonight with either a flannel (that does sound gentler) or toothbrush, and forgot!!! Bad bad mummy lolimage x