Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010

Bottles and naps...arggh

Hi, I hope someone can help me out a bit.

My son is almost 11 months old and seems to have dropped down from 3 naps to 2 naps a day. I am finding it hard to work out when to give im his food/snacks/formula.

I think he is giving up on his 3pm bottle, so that leaves a morning and evening one.

What I'd like to know is what people do in terms of: do you give bottle when they first get up, then breakfast about an hour later, or do you give breakfast and bottle at the same time?

He then tends to go to sleep about 9.45am for anything upto about 1.5 hours (so about 11.15am), would you then give a snack if you were giving them lunch at 12pm, or would you give a snack and then give lunch at say about 1pm...and what sort of thing do you give as a snack?

When do you give a snack in the afternoon, what sort of thing, and then what time do you give tea? Currently he has his tea at about 5pm, then a bottle about 7pm then bed.

Also, how do you transition from milk in a bottle to milk in a beaker? (he'll drink a little bit of water from a beaker, but not usually much during the day).

Finally how much formula should they be having at this age in a day? I'd say he currently has about 12ozs, plus the cows milk on his cereal, plus a yoghurt at lunch, and sometimes some cheese with his tea.

Sorry so all the questions. We were doing absolutely fine on out little routine, then he decided to change his naps and now I'm totally confued, and go back to work in 2 weeks so would like to be a bit more sorted by then as he'll be going to stay at my mums and she'd like to know when to give stuff. x

Replies

• Hi there, Lily has her breakkie at about 8am then at about 9-10am a 6oz bottle of cows milk. She then has a 1-2 hr nap around 11am and MAY have another short nap later in the day but not always. I make sure she has a morning & afternoonn snack (usually fruit or a biscuit) then she has her tea at 5pm, bath at 6pm then a 9oz bottle of Horlicks with milk at 8pm (this is like smoking a joint to her & really knocks her out!!!!).

She has dilute fruit juice with her meals & I offer her it throughout the day in a beaker with a lid but she doesn't always want it.

HTH!!!!!

• Hey there, my 3 have the following routine (all times are approx!!!)

6am - Rise and Shine!!!

6.30 - 7oz bottle cows milk

8.00 - Porridge/Weetabix with cows milk and a banana

9.30 - Nap for an hour

11.00 - Snack (varies from Plum crisps and raisins to pitta bread and hummous) and 150ml cows milk

1.00pm - Lunch

2.00 - Nap for an hour

4.30 - Tea

6.00 - Bath

7.00 - Bed with 7oz bottle cows milk

They don't have a snack in the afternoon as have never been fussed and also have water as needed.

S x