Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

New bedtime + New bed = 9 hours!

Hi ladies,
Just had to share this cos I feel so absurdly proud (anyone would think she's Albert Einstein lol) but Corynn slept from 9pm to 6am last night!
I could tell for the past few weeks she was waking up really without wanting to for a feed in the middle of the night so I've been slowly putting it back and back using a dummy to pacify her for an hour or so. Also, she was getting a little too big for her moses so I've put the cotbed into our bedroom and she had her first night in there last night. She looked so tiny in it but really comfy as she sleeps like a starfish and couldn't in her basket.
BUT the biggest and best thing we've achieved last night was getting her to sleep earlier. Corynn has absolutely point-blank refused to go to bed before 11pm before yesterday when I persevered putting her down at 8.30pm and left her alone in our bedroom in the dark (with a monitor) whereas usually she would be with us in the living room before we went up to bed. It took 5 times going back to calm her and leave her again but by 9.15 she was fast asleep!!! That difference of having 2 hours peace and rest to ourselves felt divine... before we would eat our dinner between keeping her entertained or trying to get her to sleep and we wouldn't be able to sit down to watch a film or anything. We did have later mornings, but I trade in later mornings for a proper wind-down at night.
Anyway, bit of a pointless post but I feel great this morning, a bit like a supermum lol
Hope you ladies are all good!
xxxxxx

Replies

• Go Corynn! well done both of you xxx
  • Thats sooo fab Mitxi, we are tying to persevere with Freddie in the evenings, he is usually asleep by 9ish but last night it was 7pm! Just like you hubby and I didn't know what to do - it was lovely!

I think the dark room is the key and defo bigger bed, I moved Freddie out of his moses at 4 weeks as he kept flapping his arms around and waking me up!!!!
  • Great news, glad it's working! xx

Must admit now we do the same and it's great to have some time with hubby again when we have tea and just sit and chat - although I often have her in bed before he gets home which is a shame.

She gets bathed around half 6/7 and then bed - and last night was nearly asleep before I'd even left the room! lol. We bit the bullet and got a cot in the end which fits in the bedroom, a cot bed wouldn't and we're only in a one-bed place at the moment lol - but she loves sprawling out so it's so much better for her than the moses basket/travel cot.

She was waking once anywhere between 3-5am which I can live with, but the last couple of nights has been waking at 2 and drinking 5/6oz so I think she's going through an infamous growth spurt at the moment! lol.

xx
  • Isn't it great when you get them to sleep for ages. Well done!
    Eva slept for a full 12hrs on Saturday night, no joke. Unfortunately I still had to get up at 5am to express but she slept on until 9.30am after settling to sleep at 9pm. Hopefully both our wee ladies will be consistent with their sleep pattern in the future image
  • Jensen did nearly 9 hours yesterday too 10:20pm until just after 7am! Well done Corynn x
  • Gah! Not so well last night ladies. She refused to sleep until 10.15pm (but still an improvement on before, I guess!) and I had to feed her at 4.30am. But never mind.. I shall keep on with my tactics image
    Glad to see you other ladies are starting to see results too!
    xx
  • Good work! I think persevering really does pay off. I've been determined to get Maya into a bedtime routine for the past 3 weeks with the aim of 6pm bath, then a feed, then bed at around 7. I know the regimented approach isn't everyone's cup of tea, but she such a happy camper when she's had a good night, plus I need the evening time to do jobs, especially when I go back to work.

It's a bit hit and miss - getting her off is the hard bit, but once she's off to sleep, she's off. The first week it could take 2+ hours of going in her room to soothe her as often as every 5 or 10 minutes. Painful for everyone, but I didn't want her to feel totally abandoned! It's got so much easier through, and some nights we don't get 'summoned(!)' back in there at all. Similarly to you, her room's dark and I now use the monitor (as opposed to having the door open and using my ears - the lounge is next door to the nursery but I think the darkness makes it clear it's bedtime!! image )

Reading that back I sound like a right old battleaxe!! image
  • Well Done and I'm sure the second night was just a hiccup!!

Its so nice having a couple of hours at night to get things done, watch TV etc! We are trying so hard to get him into a routine at night but the horrible colic has been making it hard although he has been settling in his crib by 9ish the last few nights which has been so nice!! Secretsquirrel .... I so know what you mean by summoned!!