Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I think I've got mastitis UPDATE:think I was wrong-thrush?

I think I've got mastitis/a blocked duct now. My right side has been sore over the past few days and every now and then I've felt a hired burning sensation so been keeping an eye out for any signs but nothing...thought I wa just over reacting. But this morning I was in agony with tears steaming down my face trying to feed Ryan. Have had a look this morning and there's a few angry looking red bumps on my areola, of course this would happen on a Saturday!

No signs of any lumps today, just very red sore-looking and painful nipples good old google has now got mr
wondering if this could be thrush??

[Modified by: kayssis on 30 May 2010 12:29:41 ]

Replies

• I really feel your pain hon, I was diagnosed with mastitis on Thursday and it is agony! I'd get down the out of hours to get some antibiotics pronto and get it sorted out, they take about 48 hours to work.

Keep feeding through it though and pump some off if it gets really bad.
  • Oh hun thats horrible, you've really been through the mill havent you? I've had it start up a couple of times, i apply a flannel as hot as i can bear for a few minutes and then do some firm massage downwards to unblock the duct. Touch wood its always worked for me. Is there an out of hours doctor/surgery you can contact for antibiotics? I just want to give you a huge hug for all the probs you've been having but im in complete awe of you for persevering through it all xx
  • oh love, I'm so sad to read you've ANOTHER problem now image
    Nobody could ever doubt your love for Ryan, that's for sure with everything you're going through. Hope you manage to get some help for it even though it's the weekend xx
  • I've had it this week and it's awful. Get antibiotics quick. I had to take paracetamol and ibruprofen too. Couldn't feed off my breast for a day but expressed every hour and a half to keep milk moving. Also hot baths, and keep applying hot flannels on breasts then gently massaging them. Hope it clears for you x
  • Thanks for the replies girls, rang the gp that diverted to nhs direct, they got a nurse to call me back, she got a dr to call
    me back, she made an appointment with the put of hours doc, by the time I got there, after several feeds, paracetamol, nice hot bath it was feeling a looking a lot better. The dr didn't actually say if it's mastitis or not, he gave me a presciption for antibiotics but said he'd hold of starting them until the lumps come back?! It's felt much better all day but this evening got so painful again, if it's as bad tonight as was last night then think I'll start them tomorrow. Ryans had a fretful couple of hours too so fingers crossed I'm not up with him in pain all night.

Ps. Any ideas how to stop a hot flannel cooling in under a minute? xx