Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

The Baby Whisperer... yes or no?

Hi Ladies
Have any of you read The Baby Whisperer? I am finding it very good reading (about a third of the way though) and realise that I am already doing a lot of the things that she suggests. But some things I am not so sure about.

1. She says to BF on one side only each time you feed. I have been BFing for about 10 min each side at every feed. Sam pulls off after 10 min on his own and I swap sides. I was told my a lactation consultant that this was spot on. He has done this since about 2 weeks and is now 10 weeks.

2. She says to feed then bath in the evening. But I have been bathing, then feeding and then putting him down. I think most of you have also said that you are doing it this way too.

Just interested to hear what you ladies have to say. The book makes me feel like a slightly 'bad' parent because I do things like let him fall asleep at the breast!

Bryony and Samuel 10 +1

Oh and of course I would start reading this while Sam is sick with bronchitis, so any semblance of a routine has gone out of the window!!

[Modified by: foxinsocks on 26 June 2010 17:22:33 ]

Replies

• I've not read it, or any other books, so am probably doing everything completely wrong! But in response to your queries I think this:

1. I think the reason she suggests to only feed on one side each time to make sure baby gets all of the higher calerie hindmilk. But I usually feed Sophie from one side until she's emptied it (which could be 5 minutes, or 20 minutes, depending on how long she's taking), and if she wants more I swap sides. If Sam is emptying one side in 10 minutes and wants more then you should swap. And you must be doing it right as if he wasn't getting enough of the hindmilk you'd know because he'd be unsettled and have funny nappies.

2. I agree with you - we bath then feed then put down. Sophie loves a bath so gets quite excited and the feed calms her down and makes her sleepy, so there'd be no sense in doing it the other way round.

I think as long as you are doing what works for Sam and he and you are both happy then it doesn't matter if it doesn't follow what it says in a book (which is why I haven't bothered reading any - I'd feel like I was doing things wrong!)
  • I started reading the baby whisperer and it made me feel like I was doing everything wrong as I had no routine whatsoever. Riley is 8 weeks on Tuesday and has got himself into a brilliant routine, he feeds every 4 hours (bottle) falls asleep between 8:30-9.30 and sleeps through till 6am.

Do what works for you xXx
  • I started reading the baby whisperer and it made me feel like I was doing everything wrong as I had no routine whatsoever. Riley is 8 weeks on Tuesday and has got himself into a brilliant routine, he feeds every 4 hours (bottle) falls asleep between 8:30-9.30 and sleeps through till 6am.

Do what works for you xXx
  • i havent read the Baby Whisperer but from my personal experience:

1. I only feed Izzy from one breast per feed. I think the advice varies from country to country. Everyone in my baby group who BF does the same but I know in the States the advice is to feed from both. I do offer her the other breast if she seems hungry but thats very rare (she has one she favours which seems to produce more milk). I also let her fall asleep on the breast so another bad mummy hereimage but she will also self settle so it cant be that terrible!!!

2. I bathe before feeding as the last feed makes her sleepy enough to fall asleep.

I have to say that im a big believer in routines but have found following different recommendations to be highly stressful. Once i decided to become baby led, we both became much happier and she has settled into a routine of her own making, feeding every 2 hours until last feed at 7 where she sleeps until 2am. I think the trick is to take the advice with a pinch of salt and adapt it to work for you xx
  • Absolutely agree with pp. I have only read the first few chapters so far abd have also discovered that I'm a 'bad mummy'. There's definitely some good ideas in there but figuring out how to make it work for us rather than following the easy routine x
  • i think that all babies are different and different advice will work for some and not others. Freya doesnt like baths and gets really upset so bathing her just before bedtime is not a good idea. we are having a lot of trouble settling her at night generally but we tend to have more success after a feed.