Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sleeping has gone to pot....

Please tell me that this is just a phase & he will be fine again in a couple of days? Sorry this is soo long....

DS has always been quite a good sleeper, usually sleeping from 7:30/8:00 until 7:00/7:30. He has a dream feed at 10:30 & will on most nights wake around 3 just fussing, but will go back to sleep quite easily.
Hubby has always done the bath/bottle/bed routine, since we started it properly at about 6/8weeks.

However the last couple of weeks it has been harder for hubby to settle DS, usually meaning that I have to take over. He will settle quicker for me, but even then there is a lot of going back and forth to the bedroom every 5/10 mins when he wakes screaming again. So now he is not falling asleep 'properly' until 8:30. He will still take his dreamfeed at 10:30.

The last couple of days it has gotten worse again, DS just keeps waking through the night every 30mins or so from around 2am. He's not hungry but will scream and cry until you go in & pick him up (although I have only left him about a minute to cry). He seems to settle as soon as you pick him up so he doesn't seem hungry. I just don't know why he is waking so often. He rarely sleeps with his dummy, so its not that either.

He is still tired as well, DH brought him into bed with us this morning at around 7 & he slept until gone 8....

Please help, I am starting to feel like a zombie again & I thought we were doing so well!

Replies

• Ryan went through a similar phase a couple of weeks ago where he seemed to forget how to settle. It was taking a lot longer at night and daytime naps were hell...I often had to resort to rocking him again. Thankfully things have dramatically improved, although not as good as they used to be.
    We did bring his bedtime forward as found he was just getting overtired by 8pm, so he's now going down around 7 and we also invested in a new light projector to replace his cot mobile xx
  • as kayssis said about the night light, we got phoebe a new night light too. archie went through a bad stage of waking up crying when he was a baby and we found out that it was because of the dark, so i always leave a light on in phoebes room too so she doesnt do the same. also, i know its not realy recommended but if he really is causing you to have broken sleep then maybe you could put him in your bed when he does it? if he lasts til about 2/3am then i wouldnt feel so bad for doing it as he has gone to bed and slept up until then. then to stop it from becoming a habit, maybe push the time you let him come into your bed later by half an hour every couple of days. to be honest, phoebe ends up in our bed about 50% of the time for her last hour or so of sleep in the morning, mainly because archie wakes up and shouts across the landing. also, as kayssis said, maybe move bedtime to a bit earlier too, phoebe goes to bed at 6.30pm, and archie then goes up at 7pm. then in the morning, try not to let him sleep in til too late, try and keep it so that bedtime is early and that you get up at the same realistic time of day (which is hard i know, sometimes im tempted to stay in bed if they are both still asleep!). good look hun, hope it improves!xx
  • Sam has been very difficult at bed time (5 months now) ever since I went back to work three weeks ago. My mom can't get him to get to sleep for his naps easily so she uses the pram to get him to sleep. It drives me NUTS because I worked so hard to get him to self settle and now he has totally lost the ability to do that. If I try and get him to bed by 7pm I am lucky if he is down by 8:30pm. VERY ANNOYING.

Barley have you started solids? Sam has slept much better since he has been on solids.
  • Hi!
    Were having the early morning issues too, I've started feeding her again and she's been having solids for over a week and they've not made any odds, however i remember sara having phases loke this, they comee through it x
  • She's being awful so far tonight, went to bed at about half 7 and has just been up about 10.15, I fed her, oh changed her after she'd gone down and then five mins after she woke again, she was sleepy on the mat but as soon as he finished she started crying! image sorry to gc your post x
  • Thanks for your replies ladies!
    He *seems* to have been a little better over the last couple of nights. We have brought bedtime forward by 30mins, so thinking that is helping with the immediate settling. I have also upped the amount of his dreamfeed & he is taking it most nights, so maybe he was just a bit hungry? He still wont settle for hubby :\? so not sure whats going on there! But he will settle for me, so will just carry on. Hubby ignored me last night when I said he was getting tired & to start bedtime routine ... que lots of crying & back to square 1 again with getting him to settle. Bloody men, not helpful when they ignore you!

I made sure tonight that we started bedtime earlier again & he has gone down (again only for me) but so far so good.....

He only woke up once last night & has been sleeping in until 8 .... am touching wood as we speak, really don't want to jinx it lol!

We haven't started solids yet FIS, am trying to put it off until 6months to do Baby Led Weaning, but if it continues we may have to start earlier! Am hoping we don't have to get a new mobile, as we recently bought a new one. He has a nightlight but it goes off after 45mins... So may also look into that if it starts up again as the room is really dark.

No worries about the g/c happymrsg, I just hope that it gets better for you too x Hope you are having a better night tonight?

Thanks again lovely ladies, its crazy how quickly a few nights of really bad sleep can start to make you feel so crap!
  • Sorry G/C too, glad he is improving Barley. As I said in another post he has woke every hour for the past 2 nights for his dummy to be put back in when usually he sleeps from 7 till 7, apart from dream feed at 10.30pm. I have started weaning this week so not sure if its upsetting his tummy. I cant believe how crap I feel again due to lack of sleep and of course hubby cant hear him when he screams all night, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr men! Sorry mini rant over. I wish all you ladies a lovely nights sleep xxx
  • Aww babymay, sorry your having a hard time of it too! Strange how men go deaf at night isn't it? Am not happy tonight some lovely neighbours of our have decided to blare their music into the street all night... still going now! and it keeps making LO stir & wake up image So not happy take it inside now its late enough!!!! Grrrrrr x hope you get a better nights sleep tonight x x
  • Hiya!
    I think things are slowly improving here, only woke up once at four and I fed her after she wasn't settling with the dummy.

That's crap about the music! Grrr, people can be so inconsiderate

Hope things are going in the right direction for you both!