Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010

Damn dummy!!!!!!!!

Oh girls I am going insane!!
Last night I was up every hour from 11pm going into leos room and having to put his dummy back in because he's crying. I think I managed 3 hrs broken sleep.
I'm suffering sleep depreviation and keep getting stabbing headaches and I can't even string sentences together. I just want some sleep!!!

I don't know what else to try. I'm praying this is a phase. He used to only wake twice a night and a couple if times last wk he went all the way till 4 before waking. He goes to sleep fine but stirs in the night and as soon as dummy is in his mouth goes back to sleep. But it falls out and we start all over again. I swear he times it to the moment I've just managed to get back to sleep!!!

I don't need a reply. Just needed a rant. Feel like I'm losing the plot a bit!

Replies

• Oh Hun, I know how you're feeling, although Ryan isn't as bad as Leo. If I can get him down after his dreamfeed without stirring for the dummy we'll have a better night but he does around 3am then half hour later then hoes a couple hours then usually every half hour ish til we get up. He never used to wake at all and now it's just getting progressively worse. I don't know what the answer is.....apart from let him grumble as long as possible and hope he falls back to sleep rather than being wide awake crying x
  • Aww i do really feel for you. I don't know if this will work for you but i have two comforters i put eitherside of DD's head which help keep the dummy in. She tends to pull one across her face anyway but she sleeps through so I leave her to it.
    I have also read similar posts where ppl replied saying they wait for LO to doze off then slowly take the dummy off them and they sleep much better. Not sure how or why but it worked for them so maybe worth a go.

I hope u get a full night soon hun xx
  • I feel for you too! One night I got so fed up of the damned dummy I threw it across the bedroom lol - and have never used it at night since!! lol. As you're having sleepless nights anyway, is it worth not giving the dummy at all at bedtime/during the night until he gets used to not having it?

I only give lo the dummy now during the day at nap times, in her car seat/pushchair - I never give it to her at night and she settles fine for bedtime now. I think it took a while of shushing and rubbing her tummy to soothe her but it was worth it - the dummy was just too much of a headache at bedtime when I wanted her to sleep for longer!

xx
  • how frustrating chick - I do the same as Squiggle and she has a comforter to sleep with. It doesnt hold the dummy in place but once its dropped out, she rubs her face against the comforter and stays asleep x
  • I'm probably being dumb but when u say comforter what do u mean?
    I am going to start trying to put him to bed without it. Just when he wakes in the night it's going to be difficult to get him back to sleep without it.
    I've got to try something. I'm do toted it's affecting me looking after him during the day as I just have no patience. And I'm getting more and more annoyed with my husband as he is now fast asleep on the sofa after a nice 7 hr sleep last night. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr men!!! Wish they could have the babies
  • I've been having very sleepless nights too Kelly so I know how you feel! My lo has been poorly with tonsillitis but her dummy was the only thing to soothe her sometimes. I'm thinking of starting to remove it bit by bit, starting with naps.
    xxx
  • A comforter is a teddy with a little bit of blanket coming from it. Xx
  • Ryan always has a muslin in bed, but I take it away once he's asleep- maybe I should leave it with him, just worry about him suffocating himself. He was never really interested in his comforter, might have to try it again
  • This is Isobel's comforter, it goes everywhere with us and is imaginatively named 'Bunny' x

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs305.snc4/40587_10150238538835471_626610470_13898167_6404907_n.jpg

• Well the first night putting him to bed without the dummy did not go well!

Put him to bed, gave him the comforter, left the room and could not believe my luck when he went straight to sleep with no fuss. Was thinking it can't be this easy, and sure enough it was not! He started crying. Gave him back comforter which he'd pushed away and he screamed. Tried the pick up put down method which I'm sorry but is just a load of rubbish for Leo as he does not settle down when I pick him up. I'm afraid to say after half an hr of screaming (and I do seem to have bred a child with an ear piercing high pitched scream, lucky me!) I gave in and gave him the dummy. Can u believe he fell asleep instantly. What really annoyed me was after 30 seconds the damn thing fell out, he stired a bit and continued to stay asleep!!!!!

Please girls, keep your fingers crossed this is a phase. For my sanity!! I'm thinking he might be cutting a tooth. He's been screaming all day. On a good note my mum is having him overnight on Saturday so I can, in her words, have a 12 hr kip. What's the betting he sleeps through fine for her!
  • So pleased Im not the only one living in dummy hell. If Im lucky he wakes up at 5am for it then every half hour till we get up at 7am and If Im unlucky the process starts at 3.30am! Its driving me crazy. It has actually stopped me from putting him in his own room this week as at the moment I only have to lean over & put it back in. Going to give the comforter idea a try, thanks ladies xxx
  • Ok so tried going to bed without dumdum but my calm bubba who normally self settles so well got more wound up...I gave in and within about 2mins the magic dummy sleep switch had worked! Hopefully he'll go back down without it after the dreamfeed, usually quite successful then it's just resisting in the early hours. It's so hard listen to them whinge when you know 2 secs out of bed to put the dummy in, they'll settle and you can go back to sleep.
  • I've decided I'm not giving up on the dummy just yet. Sophie's been sleeping much better recently (apart from when she gets cold) but I do usually get one wake up call between the dream feed and morning. All it takes is to pop the dummy back in and she's asleep again.

However, she did manage to settle to sleep without the dummy on Saturday night, but it was a bit of a cheat. She was suffering quite badly with her teething and was chewing and sucking on her thumb and that eventually sent her to sleep. I couldn't get the dummy in so I gave up.

I have two other tricks up my sleeve that work, along with the dummy:

1. I play one of the monitor lullabies every night after I've said goodnight. It took a couple of days but she is usually asleep with no help (apart from the dummy) after about 15 - 20 minutes. The best thing is that it can be activated remotely.

2. I do a sort of ssh pat if she starts crying after I've put her to bed. I go up, stroke her forehead and say "ssh, night night Sophie" and then leave the room, and repeat it if she starts crying again, and again she'll usually go to sleep fairly quickly.

I'm hoping that when we do eventually get rid of the dummy the other sleep cues will still work.
  • Haha Pumpkin - mine is a mouse and I was so imaginative and called it "mousie" lmao!!! xx
  • Not a comforter but Ryan has 'puppy', 'mr giraffe' and 'monkey'....I'm so imaginative too lol x
  • oh all her toys have 'Mr' in front of them - Mr Monkey, Mr Cow, Mr Penguin and bunny (although I slip into calling it Mr Bunny sometimes despite the pink bow in its hair, Miss Bunny doesnt have the same ring lol)