Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Constant body contact

Hi girls, hope everyone is doing well.
We've been fine but the last couple of days Lily has been a total nightmare - I don't know if it's the heat or what.
We have been dressing her in just vests to keep her cool feeding her every 3 hours, she's pooing / weeing regularly & getting her wind up o.k.
I can't remeber the last time she went in her moses basket, she won't settle unless she's in bed with me & I HAVE to be touching / holding her in some way.
It seems she needs constant body contact & if you manage to get her to sleep then put her down she's seems to know & screams her head off.
Anyone else experiencing this?
After a nightmare day we have relented & given her a big fat 6 oz bottle to try & knock her out, she's sleeping but still niggling!!!! She's only 6 weeks - 6oz seems a lot

GG & Lily
xx
:\?

Replies

• We are having similar issues with Archie! He is such a hot, sweaty baby and his way of coping with it is to want to be attached to me constantly and then he gets hotter and screams even louder!! We've had a horrible few days of him staying awake all day but being so unsettled. He also has newborn acne which is a million times worse when he gets hot!

Last night, we put him in the crib instead of the moses basket and I put him in just a nappy but swaddled him in a muslin (he used to hate swaddling!) and he slept for 4 hours, woke for a feed and then actually let us put him back in the crib! This has never happened since day 0! He refused to sleep in the hospital cribs!

Does she like sleeping on her tummy? Thats sometimes the only way I can get Archie to sleep anywhere but me! Know its not recommended but sometimes I settle him like that in the day as a last resort!
  • Hi CW, thanks for the reply - a relief to know i'm not alone.
    Lily does seem to prefer being on her tummy & I am happy to do this if I can supervise her but admit I would be scared to put her in the moses like this.
    I tend to put her on her side mostly & her neck is quite strong so I think she would be able to move her head o.k if she got stuck.
    Her favourite postion is like a monkey on your chest & I actually end up sleeping with her like this alot, it's giving me major backache though.
    I know I am making a rod for my own back & she is never going to go in her own bed/room at this rate but I just feel like I need to do what I gotta do for us all to get some sleep!!

Hubby has also thrown the towel in with the night feeds & says he can't do them anymore as he doesn't so well on zero sleep!!! (He was only doing 1 a week anyway!!) Anyone elses hubby gone on strike? I've let him off with it cos i'm a lot more patient & would rather do it myself than Lily sense he doesn't want to do it (sorry for the mini rant!)
    GG xx
  • Hiya Hun, ryans sometimes like that too and had been worse the past few days, put it down to his jabs but could be the heat. I've found that sometimes if when I put him down and he starts grizzling straight away I rub his tummy and shh him then when he's more settled I stop rubbing and carry on shhing it doesn't always work but could be worth a try. I know a lot of the ladies on here gave said before about putting something in with them that smells of you.
    Ryan has been mix bottlefed since 6weeks and takes 4-6oz at each feed although there's been a couple of occasions where I've had to give him 7! xx
  • Izzy has been quite clingy in this weather. When its cool she does lovely long 2 hour naps in the moses basket or cot upstairs. The past couple of days she'll only sleep on me like a limpet (which i dont understand as surely the body contact will make her hotter?!) and she's waking more in the night which is exhausting. My breasts have been really sore today as she fed so much more last night that she's increased the supply again just when we had it sorted.
    My hubby is pretty great with her, he's very patient and loving and bless him, had to deal with me sobbing the other night as, after two hours of fussing I told Izzy to 'shut up' imageimageimage He had to settle her for me (annoyingly only took him 5 mins) and then comfort me coz i cried for about half an hour about what a terrible mother I am and how my baby hates me. However, he never does night feeds as I BF and that was the only time Ive asked him for help in the middle of the night so it does get on my wick when he goes on about being 'tired' - um... you weren't up 4 times in the night mister!!! xx
  • Hi ladies.

Havent been able to log on lately as Ellis has become so clingy in this heat. I was so relieved to see this post GG, I thought something was wrong with him. I honestly cant understand it though, he is like a little hot potato & just wants cuddles, he must be roasting. We were out all weekend & he was feeding every 2 hours, it was turning into a nightmare so I cancelled all plans for today & tomorrow & he has actually been a little more settled today, I was begining to think he would never sleep in the day again!

I cant complain about hubby, he does all night feeds at the weekends but he doesnt stop moaning about how tried he is. I think women are just made of stronger stuff, bless them x
  • Hi GG Freddie has been soooooooo clingy in this weather!!! I wore him in a sling All day on Friday whilst he slept and boy was I hot. He has been much better today and is asleep in his crib in a vest!

Hubby is pretty rubbish - Freddie refuses a bottle! So its all me, But I am enjoying him as one day he;ll want to go and run around all day with hubby playing in the garden and wont want his mummy!!

I also have a cheeky afternoon nap with Freddie on me if he is being clingy!!! x
  • My lo has definitely been more clingy this last few days - you'd think with the heat they'd want NOT to be held and to keep cooler on a sheet or something! lol. She takes ages to settle into her moses basket at night, although she's just about out-grown it really and so we're hoping to get a cot over the next week and I think she might be better then as she keeps bashing the sides!

As for night feeds, my hubby hasn't done any! lol - in fairness I see it as my "duty" as he does have to go to work and is working long hours so I don't mind - thankfully lo only wakes twice so I'm not quite a zombie just yet (getting there after 6 weeks though!). Thankfully hubby's job is seasonal so come October he'll be able to help much more and he's looking forward to it too as he is missing so much at the moment image

xx
  • my lo is very clingy at times and will only sleep on one of us. I let him fall asleep on us and about 20 mins later try and put him down. Apparently it takes them about 20 mins to get into a deep sleep. It doesnt always work though!