Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Witching hour! (also in baby)

Ryan has developed an hour of hell in the evenings. He used to fuss in the evenings but since we introduced a bedtime routine got much better. He then started getting fussy again and seemed tired so we brought it forward and hour which worked for a few days, but since last week we have an hour of screaming and crying usually starting from his last bottle (7/8pm). He takes a couple of sucks of his bottle then pulls back and starts screaming, he'll eventually calm down (always up over our shoulder walking around) but then it starts again, he goes rigid, throws his head back and starts crying, it goes on and on in cycles of this for almost an hour then he'll settle down and is so tired he ends up falling asleep so I have to wake him a couple of hours later for a bottle before we go to bed. Last night we tried to push his bottle a bit later in the hope of skipping it, so bathed and in bed for his evening nap at half6, 7pm on the dot he woke up with a blood-curdling scream and the cycle began, he calmed down at 8 then became hungry so gave him his bottle (tried going back to a no 1 teat to see if that helped) he fed quite well but got bored with the slow flow it seemed and only had half a bottle.
Been trailing variflow teats today and all seemed to be going well but then he only had half a bottle at his second and fourth bottles (only has 5 a day now).
I don't know what's going on with him. He's gaining weight o-k at least but is getting so distraught each day I don't know what to do to help him.

Replies

• Hi hun, not sure if I can help but didn;t want to read and run. We used to have this with Freddie and it was two things - one was wind and so we started using Infacol. The second I have found is that if I let him sleep too much / too long past 3pm then he won't go down well at 7pm he is almost not tired enough and so we get him to sleep but then he wakes up still wired and we battke trying to get him to sleep but he refuses and screams etc.

Its prob neither of these things for Ryan but really hope it improves, that scream is awful I know exactly how you feel xx
  • Lucas has been doing this for the last few days too ;o(
    He is usually down by 7.30pm without any problems, but since Friday he is taking longer to settle then he has been waking up between 8 and 8.15pm screaming. It is his hungry cry so I try feeding him, but he has worked himself into such a state so quickly, he wont latch on propery so feeding takes longer.
    I have noticed that he sounds like he has a tickly cough when I put him down and am wondering if he maybe has silent reflux.I am going to take Lucas to baby clinic tomorrow and ask them.
    It might be worth checking out this link to see if Ryan has any of the symptoms?
    http://www.babyreflux.co.uk/knowledge/questions/55/What+is+'silent'+reflux?

NTT xx
  • Thanks girls. He's still sleeping well at night and I'm pretty sure it's not wind, have tried gripe water on a couple of occasions when he's been like it and nothing.
    I know what you mean about the cough ntt I was also wondering about silent reflux, went to baby clinic yesterday and the hv there was lovely but useless, just said she's not sure maybe it just a phase, give them a call if it keeps happening! My son' is in pain everyday, hence my marathon post. Got baby group today so going to have a chat with the community nursery nurse that runs it cos she is fab. I'm not convinced myself though as his symptoms are so hit and miss so not sure I should go into the gp all guns blazing, which will have to be the next step I think x