Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Our trip to England... poorly baby and weird bathtimes!

Hi ladies
I've been a bit inactive recently. We're over in the UK for the first time ever and arrived just over a week ago. We've got 3 weeks left!
C behaved great on the plane once we'd taken off. Before that it was scream-o-rama! You can't believe the dirty looks I was getting too and I actually told one bloke to p*** off as he was complaining behind me about "I hope IT'S not going to do that all the way home". Incredible. She's a tiny baby for god's sake. Once we'd taken off she settled right down and slept all the way here, even on the way down! What an angel. I kind of wished she had kept it up just to bug that rude man! I would have pointed her in his direction hehe

Since we've been here she's been quite distressed (rewind to my colic days!) and I ended up taking her to an NHS drop-in centre. It turns out the poor little mite has tonsilitis :O
She's only allowed calpol unless she's still the same in a week when they'll prescribe anitbiotics. It's so unusual for a little baby to get that they said, and of course the made me feel rubbish saying that she's no immunity because she's not breastfed. So according to them the 3 weeks I battled with her and expressed mean nothing. Great!!
lastly, she loves the bath at our place but since we've been here she screams blue murder in the tub. Weird!! I've tried everything: different rooms, baby bath, big bath, getting in with her....I've no idea why she hates it so much here when she loves it at home. I don't think we'll be coming to england again lol
Anyway, just a bit of a whinge image
I hope the rest of our time here goes a bit better than the first week!
xxxx

Replies

• Oh no not a good experienceso far!! maybe it feels cooler here as even when it was warm it took Ava a while to get used to it and she seemed to shudder loads on getting out!
    That man was a compleat plank!!!!!what a moaning miserable git
    Hope she gets better soon, it could be making her very sensitive feeling and a bit touchy when it comes to baths!? Xxx
  • Aww poor baby, I hope lo is feeling better soon x The muppet on the plane obviously doenst have children, you should have apologised and explained how you'd left the remote control at home, no mute button i'm afraid! lol Amelia used to love her baths, but recently bathtime has been a NIGHTMARE! To say she screams doesnt do it justice, she is heartbroken, the noise she makes actually hurts my ears, she shrieks constantly, at one point I had to check that she wasn't hurt! I bathed her as quickly as possible. Yesterday, before the bath I had her next to me, skin to skin, for quite a while, didnt have the water too deep either, and can you believe it, not one peep! Her bottom lip wobbled a few times but that was all. Go figure!? I hope you enjoy the rest of your time here in sunny UK, you'll be home soon enough so enjoy x I bet lo is just missing her home creature comforts lol x
  • Sorry to hear that she's ill, hope she gets better soon.

Poo to the NHS drop in centre, I'm not sure you can get immunity to tonsilitis, otherwise how to people get it more than once?! I think bf does increase their immune system, but it wouldn't stop them getting everything, so don't beat yourself up for not carrying on with it, you did a great job getting to three weeks. They just push it so much here that they'll use it as an excuse to anything.

I even had a HV pretty much accuse me of lying about bf when Sophie had a nasty nappy rash. She told me that bf babies don't get nappy rash. Well, I'm afraid that I can prove that statement wrong! I don't ever want to come across her again.

• Poor little mite, I hope Corynns on the mend. Cant believe they say that, it's tonsillitis for crying out loud, I'm sure starving her rather than giving ff after 3 weeks wouldve stopped
    her getting it! So stupid!!
    I'll have to remember that one about tr mute button if I ever get to take Ryan off on hols, although oh is known for being outspoken soni doubt I'd get a chance to use it. What's wrong with people, it's not even like it's a long haul flight and might've missed out on sleep!
    Do you think it's feeling under the wearer the might be upsetting bath time?
    Fingers crossed she's feeling much better soon and hopefully you can enjoy the lovely British summer x
  • what a knobber on the plane! i think people forget we were all babies once...

poor little Corynn, i hope she feels better soon and you are getting help looking after her, looking after a poorly baby must take its toll! i agree with the others, i expect its her feeling under the weather which is making her reject the bath. hugs xx
  • Hello ladies
    thanks for your kind words, I can always count on you lot! Well, things did get quite tough and they definitely did take their toll, PP! She seems better in herself now but I had days and days of entire sleepless nights as she'd wake up every half hour - hour. She wouldn't eat either but was hungry, the swallowing was obviously painful. Uff, what a week.
    Now she seems a lot brighter though, bless her. Hopefully we're over the worst! She still hates the bath though so I've reduced it to every other day as I hate seeing her so terrified and upset. These babies are weird things, aren't they? image
    Anyway, now I'm feeling slightly more human I'm off to catch up on all the goss on here! xxxxx